Law School Discussion

Cooley has a JINGLE

Re: Cooley has a JINGLE
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2006, 11:10:27 AM »
"It's the knowledge and the skills, and the ethics we instill, at cooley law school!"

http://www.cooley.edu/mediacenter/cooley.htm

Has anyone seen this? The video should load at that page. It's 6 mins and pretty standard horn-blowing ("Cooley is second to no one" sic), but skip to the very end and you'll be treated to the COOLEY JINGLE!

this is amazing :-D

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 09:18:34 AM »
bump

Reach

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 10:12:13 AM »
i dunno i dont think its right to really hate on cooley that much...i had always been like "damn what a TTTT you really need to f up to get in there" but then i got their brochure and the heading was something like "we try to make it so people that have the desire to be lawyers can practice their dream" or somethin glike that

now granted that wasn't gonna make me apply considering i dont have a sub 150 LSAT, but i think its nice there are schools like cooley out there that let the people who didnt really do as well (and therefore you may argue are not as smart) to have a chance at pursuing a dream...

and the argument that proceeds from this is "well if ur dumb enough to have to go to cooley or a similary ranked school you may not be smart enough to go to LS"..i think is dumb b/c well if you aren't smart enough then no TTTs would exist at all.and all graduates would end up as paralegals or unemployed...i mean people DO succeed..and its nice that they can be given an opportunity to when their LSAT/GPA may not be quite as high as others...

I don't think I'm a prestige whore (but maybe that's relative...), but I genuinely feel that fewer law schools would benefit pretty much everyone.  Also, I think it is fair to say that most of those who succeed from the bottom schools are probably the motivated and hardworking few who would "succeed" in one way or another anyway. 

Still, gotta love that jingle!

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 10:20:12 AM »
Absolutely the funniest thing I've seen in a long time.

Sounds like an car dealership jingle!

Butters Stotch

• Well you can all just go to heck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2007, 10:22:26 AM »
My friend Steve is a Cooley grad, and is doing quite well 5 years out. 

I have a friend with whom I grew up, played little league and ultimately graduated from HS.  He is a really great guy and a good friend.  As nice as he is and as much as everyone liked (likes) him, I can declare with all honesty that he was never the "sharpest tool in the shed."  In fact, he struggled through high school, never once making the honor roll to my knowledge, and there were actually some real doubts during our senior year about whether or not he would graduate at all.  

Not knowing what to do with his post-secondary life, he decided to enlist in the Army National Guard.  He (wisely imo) reasoned that, if he did not like the Army way of life, he was only stuck doing it one weekend a month + 2 weeks a year, whereas a full-time military commitment afforded no such luxury.  After completing basic training and AIT he realized that the military was not, in fact, for him, and he decided to attended the small 4-year college in our hometown using GI Bill money that he got from the ANG.  

His college career was as academically uneventful as high school, and he graduated with a 2.3-ish GPA with a degree in Criminal Justice.  He had no idea what to do with this degree (other than become a cop) So he looked into law school.  He took the LSAT and, as you can imagine, he didn't do very well (<150).  Undaunted, he applied to several law schools, but the only one that accepted him was a non-accredited school called Faulker in Montgomery, Alabama (the school has since won provisional ABA accreditation as of last year).  He enrolled there against the advice of friends, family and every attorney he asked...and actually did fairly well, finishing in the top 1/4th of his class.

It took him nearly a year to land his first job, but once he did he proved himself to be an outstanding attorney (I know this first hand because he handled a very messy divorce for me; he is also part of my inspiration for attending law school).  He recently intimated to me that he now commands a six-figure income at the small firm he began about 7 years ago with another of our high-school friends and a friend of his from law school (we are both 35 now, for some perspective).    

I share all of this not as part of an argument as to why the Cooley's and FAMU's and NCCU's of the world are on par with the T1-T3 schools (obviously they're not) but, rather, to illustrate that one's choice of law schools does not necessarily determine one's future financial success or happiness in life.  My friend's success, by and large, is a product of his determination.  He stands by his assertion that his choice in schools was the right one for him, and he feels (right or wrong) that things would never have worked out for him if his path had led him in any direction other than the one he took.  

I try to keep this kind of thing in mind when I see folks rag on Cooley and the other tier 4 schools.

Denny Crane

• Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2007, 10:27:51 AM »
I am very much a prestige whore, but even I don't look down on a school for having a student population w/ a student body that has a lower average LSAT or GPA.  I do look down on Cooley for thinking it's hotter sh!t than it actually is.  The reason it gets so much flack is because of its absurd rankings that clearly are flawed not because of their rankings methodology but because of the clear conflict of interest that exists from having a law school produce a rankings in which it is included.  Such a conflict of interest undoubtedly raises some eyebrows, especially when Cooley is set to benefit so generously from them.

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2007, 10:30:40 AM »
Goes to show you what type of people become governors.

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2007, 10:34:18 AM »
Actually they do have one of the best websites from all law schools i've seen.

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2007, 10:58:49 AM »
I'm ticked off.  After watching about four minutes of the video (before the jingle), my computer decided to freeze up.  I didn't hear the jingle, and I guess my computer has decided that it does not want to attend Cooley.

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2007, 11:23:21 AM »
its been stuck in my head all day