Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NYU 1L taking questions  (Read 1687 times)

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: NYU 1L taking questions
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006, 01:07:22 PM »
25 pages a night at Chicago? That's freakin sweet!

I really don't get it. My longest casebooks are in the vicinity of 1200 pages. If you're reading 100 a night, what do you do after the fourth week of class?

My torts casebook was 800 pages. Because of the quarter system, we have 54 classes, which works out to 15 pages a class. Even using the more standard 40 classes per 13 week semester, you should still only be reading 20 pages a night.

I'm absolutely not saying zpops is lying, just really curious what they're reading in his torts class.

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2006, 11:39:47 PM »
We used the Epstein book, and we did not come close to finishing the book.  But a lot of the heavy reading load days involvled a combination of the book and supplements the teachers gave out in class.  We didn't read 80 pages every night, and often had 20-30 page nights, but I had at least 1 or 2 nights in every class where we were assigned at least 80 pages.  Now, as time went on we learned that we didn't have to read all of that, but as poor lowly first semester 1L's a month into the semester, we were all still very diligent.  I wasn't even online in class yet at that point. 
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2006, 04:08:40 AM »
We used the Epstein book, and we did not come close to finishing the book.  But a lot of the heavy reading load days involvled a combination of the book and supplements the teachers gave out in class.  We didn't read 80 pages every night, and often had 20-30 page nights, but I had at least 1 or 2 nights in every class where we were assigned at least 80 pages.  Now, as time went on we learned that we didn't have to read all of that, but as poor lowly first semester 1L's a month into the semester, we were all still very diligent.  I wasn't even online in class yet at that point. 

Ha, even Epstein doesn't assign that much reading from his own casebook. This point should be brought up with the prof, especially if he is an originalist.

Pericles

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2006, 11:19:31 AM »
Z,

Would you say the NYU environment is particularly collegial? Also, I don't think I can swing the on campus rent so I'll probably be living in Brooklyn, will this commute present huge challenges to a 1L? Thanks in advance.

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2006, 12:03:13 PM »
Z,

Would you say the NYU environment is particularly collegial? Also, I don't think I can swing the on campus rent so I'll probably be living in Brooklyn, will this commute present huge challenges to a 1L? Thanks in advance.

We're a very friendly group.  If you miss class, you'll probably have 2-3 people send you notes without even asking, and people are happy to share their outlines going into exams (even the people with the 100+ page outlines. . .)

And I wouldn't worry about living in brooklyn.  I have plenty of friends living there, and they did not seem to have problems, they just working in the library a lot.

You had Epstein?  I'm sorry. . .  I hope he isn't as miserable of a person in class as he was when he lectured at my school, or as his writing suggests.  From what I've seen, he's one the of the people I disagree with the most on virtually everything.

My Prof was an economist (Jennifer Arlen), and she thinks Epstein is wrong on EVERYTHING, so I really don't get why she chose his book. . .
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.

fincavigia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2006, 12:20:45 PM »
How does the grading at NYU work? One of the main reasons I chose NYU of Georgetown is that the school apparently doesn't release class rank. I also got the impression that baically everyone gets a B or B+ so it's not as stressful as it could be. What's your impression of this?

Also, what are your plans for this summer?

Thanks for your input.

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2006, 01:04:30 PM »

You had Epstein?  I'm sorry. . .  I hope he isn't as miserable of a person in class as he was when he lectured at my school, or as his writing suggests.  From what I've seen, he's one the of the people I disagree with the most on virtually everything.

My Prof was an economist (Jennifer Arlen), and she thinks Epstein is wrong on EVERYTHING, so I really don't get why she chose his book. . .
[/quote]

No, I didn't have Epstein, though the other half of the 1L class did. He is well loved here, no matter what class he is teaching (even if it is a seminar on Roman Law), it'll be filled. I'm not sure what aspect of his lectures suggested that he was a miserable person, but I think he is regarded as not only a brilliant legal scholar but also a fantastic teacher. I don't know that many agree with him (as he has commented, he is most likely to be cited with a "but see Richard Epstein" footnote), but I've never heard any complaints about him as a person.

Pt21

• AOL Instant Messenger - primetime211987
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2006, 02:02:30 PM »
do you know if NYU places well in Miami, do Miami law firms recruit there?

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2006, 02:14:54 AM »
How does the grading at NYU work? One of the main reasons I chose NYU of Georgetown is that the school apparently doesn't release class rank. I also got the impression that baically everyone gets a B or B+ so it's not as stressful as it could be. What's your impression of this?

Also, what are your plans for this summer?

Thanks for your input.

We get graded, but we don't have calculated GPAs or class ranks.  The curve is VERY strongly skewed towards B's and B+'s for 1L's, and is less strict later on.  Lawyering is not graded (which is a tremendous stress reliever).  I was in the "competitive" section, and did not feel like people were competitive at all, so take that for what it's worth.

I'm working as a research assistant for two professors, to decide if I want to pursue academia.  NYu runs a special summer program for the RA's that's designed to prime you for the teaching market, so I thought it was a good idea to give it a shot.

MindtheGap - I'm glad to hear that he's a good professor, I just didn't like his tone when he spoke here.  I especially didn't like him concluding a 10 minute speech as part of a panel on Roberts by saying that the senate should just confirm any supreme court nominee, as long as they're not crazy (and Bork didn't qualify as crazy to Epstein). 

Pt21 - I'm not sure how we place in Miami, but I have a 1L friend doing her summer there.  I assume we place well there, because we basically place well in most places.  The EIW schedule isn't up yet, so I don't know how many Miami firms are recruiting here. . .