Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bama vs. Miami  (Read 906 times)

MustangAlum

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
Re: Bama vs. Miami
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2006, 06:53:04 PM »
Orange Beach, AL has the nicest sand I've seen on any beach in the US (So. Florida and Cali included). Friend had a beach house on Ono Island, AL that we went down to for Spring Break a few years ago -- I was shocked at how nice the beaches were in Orange Beach.

Birmingham has some of the best BBQ in the nation.. I would not say that is has the best overall restaurants.

I have some good friends from B-ham.. I really like the city. It feels small even though the metro area is pretty large. There's a wide array of activities, and it's very friendly. But yeah, if you're not conservative or religious, I would imagine it wouldn't be really comfortable at first.
SMU Undergraduate '05
Univ. of South Carolina Law '09

Bork

• Sr. Citizen
  • Monkey Stealing My Stuff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2006, 07:01:03 PM »
Yes, Orange Beach is Nice!! Def not best overall restaurants, but we do have some really great cuisine.I really love the food in San Fransisco and in the New England area.
"Any Major Dude with half a heart surely will tell you my friend, any minor world that breaks apart falls together again. When the demon is at your door, in the morning it won't be there no more, Any Major Dude will tell

GoGators

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2006, 11:27:51 AM »
I have been accepted to both the University of Alabama and the University of Miami. What are your opinions of both schools? Alabama would be considerably cheaper than Miami I am just not sure if I want to spend more than three years in Alabama. How well does Alabama place outside of Alabama? Which school would provide greater Job options?

Miami will provide better job opportunities. There is no doubt about it. Miami has a massive alumni base spread throughout the country while Bama's is small and concentrated mainly in Bama.

john83

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2006, 11:42:18 AM »
alabama is better than miami, one to one. if you want to work in florida, especially in or around miami--choose miami. however, alabama will provide more opportunities. graduates of bama place in atlanta, nashville, charlotte, and even a few in D.C. firms, as well as birmingham.

most students stay in alabama, however, as most students are natives of alabama. i think that more students COULD leave alabama if they wanted, but most students are connected in the state and thus choose to stay. the alumni base was mentioned as well, and alabama has an intensely loyal alumni base. so, that puts you a leg up for jobs in alabama and at southern firms with hiring partners from alabama. i don't think the alumni is quite as loyal to miami as alabama's.

alabama also has a fantastic dean. i really think that Dean Randall has visions of really turning alabama into not just a top tier law school, but a first class law school that will one day consistently rank in the 30s in USNWR. they are hiring new faculty, building a new wing, and spending big bucks to attract top candidates and minority candidates--these are things that most public schools don't do.

alabama is at the top of my list for these reasons and many others. i really do believe it's a great law school and has a great reputation in the south/southeast. besides, alabama's had a supreme court justice, hugo black. that alone is cool.

fuwaf

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2006, 12:44:43 PM »
Florida is one of the top 5 states where Bama grads go other than staying in Bama.  At least, that's what it says on the website, and it doesn't surprise me that a Bama degree would travel throughout the South relatively well.  I would most definitely pick Bama over Miami because I think it's a better school, and it's close enough geographically that you could get a job in FL after graduation... and possibly a better one that as a Miami grad. 

GoGators

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2006, 12:51:11 PM »
Go to Martindale.com. If you do a search you will see that Miami has more than twice the amount of practicing lawyers than Alabama. Secondly, look at were the lawyers for each school practice and look at the firms they practice in. Miami by far dominates Bama in Big Law and in the Big Legal Markets.

stc34

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2006, 01:30:57 PM »
Alabama is not a huge law school though.  For example, Univ. of Houston has twice as many students as Bama.

midgetpiggyback

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2006, 09:34:51 PM »
I have to second what was said about Dean Randall. I emailed him to ask some questions about the International and Comparative Law program; he sent an email back saying he wanted to talk on the phone. Later that night we talked for about 15-20 minutes while he was at the airport. That alone is evidence of what a great dean he is. He was very up front and honest and made me much more excited about the school. He's also doing some great things such as bringing the president of the Israeli Supreme Court to speak this fall and Justice Alito next spring. I don't know much abouut Miami, but Alabama is nothing to sneeze at and they seem to be headed in the right direction.

loyno22

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2006, 09:57:55 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. I am getting really excited about Alabama. Is anyone going to the admitted students day on May 19?

mto83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2006, 12:01:40 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. I am getting really excited about Alabama. Is anyone going to the admitted students day on May 19?

I'll be there.