Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Differing grading difficulties at different law schools?  (Read 282 times)

lightessenz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Differing grading difficulties at different law schools?
« on: May 06, 2006, 02:39:11 PM »
Are professors of upper schools "harder" on their students in terms of exam difficulty, research paper requirements, etc?  Obviously most competition occurs relative to the actual student class, so difficult does not directly affect your chances at being top % (ie everyone can't get an "A" just because the class is easy). 

Does anyone even consider which law school will be "harder" during this stage of the game?  I guess easier classes would mean less work overall, though the stress/competition may be equal...

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
Re: Differing grading difficulties at different law schools?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 03:01:24 PM »
From the info I've gathered on this board, lower tier schools have harsher grading policies and curves.
Columbia 3L

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 04:49:21 PM »
From the info I've gathered on this board, lower tier schools have harsher grading policies and curves.

thats defintiely correct, a 3.0 at some lower ranked schools will put you top25% of your class, compared to only top 75% at schools with easier grading curves.  However, if the question is do you have to put in more work at a top rank to make a certain class rank (for example top 25), I have no idea, I only know my school.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School

4DClaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 05:00:32 PM »
I have no idea since I'm not in school yet, but I'd imagine there's pretty stiff competition at the T3s and T4s, where huge scholarships are at stake if you fall out of the top third of your class.
Georgetown