Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why buy a laptop now?  (Read 943 times)

SanchoPanzo

• Sr. Citizen
  • My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
Why buy a laptop now?
« on: May 06, 2006, 02:20:25 PM »
When is the best time to buy a laptop for law school? Seems the longer you wait the more you increase your chances of getting a better laptop for the same $$. This may be true especially when you consider the back to schools sales the computer manufacturers have in August/September.

1L
order in the midst of chaos surrounded by order and a sprinkling of mist with chaos flavor. bake 2 hours then serve

merkina

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Why buy a laptop now?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 02:22:59 PM »
that's what i'm doing.  waiting til august.

defeatist

• Sr. Citizen
  • trust, but verify
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 03:17:00 PM »
There's also the consideration that you'll have so much to worry about during your first weeks of school, you won't want the added distraction of a shiny new toy like a laptop. I know that when something like that falls into my lap, I'm not getting anything done for a week or so. At least until I get tired of the screen saver. "Look!  Flying toasters!"

incognito

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 06:31:17 PM »
I know that NC and DC have tax free weekends in August/September usually where school supplies (including computers) can be purchased without taxes.  Saved me $100 when I had to buy a laptop last year.  If you need to buy one, might want to check if those deadlines work for you.
Duke 2009

SanchoPanzo

• Sr. Citizen
  • My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 07:18:10 PM »
I know that NC and DC have tax free weekends in August/September usually where school supplies (including computers) can be purchased without taxes.  Saved me $100 when I had to buy a laptop last year.  If you need to buy one, might want to check if those deadlines work for you.

Good point. Massachusetts also has tax-free days. Although, I don't know when...
1L
order in the midst of chaos surrounded by order and a sprinkling of mist with chaos flavor. bake 2 hours then serve

fincavigia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 07:20:00 PM »
Apparently the next generation of Windows is coming out this Fall too. It seems pretty lame to have to buy a laptop and then have the next generation come out in a couple months, but that may happen.

Reaching

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 06:53:01 AM »
fwiw, from wat i hear, windows vista is not worth the wait

And it won't ship before Christmas anyhow. You're not going to be able to wait for it to come out before law school starts.

AZWildcat

• Sr. Citizen
  • What LS in San Diego looks like..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2006, 06:55:41 AM »
Apparently the next generation of Windows is coming out this Fall too. It seems pretty lame to have to buy a laptop and then have the next generation come out in a couple months, but that may happen.

Can always buy an Apple, whose owners have been "enjoying Vista" since 02. :)
USD 2L

johnproctor98

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 03:46:42 PM »
So funny that some states offer tax-free weeks for back-to-school specials. Here in Oregon, we don't have sales tax. It's freaking awesome for college students and younger... Of course, it means our state's budget woes will continue, but that's a different topic.
In: Boalt, Georgetown, NYU
Waiting: Stanford, Columbia, Michigan, University of Washington

LSN

lightessenz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 04:56:33 PM »
I really wanted to wait for vista + centrino duo, but it probably wouldn't be smart to start 1L with an ancient P3. 

I like the Macbook pro, but they seem to run hot, and run windows rather slow (compared to an IBM machine)

I am looking at the t60 or that kickbutt gateway tablet i suppose. 

I want the following specs for under 3k

dual centrino
Actual videocard (no integrated crap)
2gb of mem
100gb hard drive
bigger battery
touchscreen would be nice

I guess this is kinda ridiculous for something that is going to take notes primarily, but I gotta have the best:0