Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any of the old guard still here?  (Read 294 times)

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
Any of the old guard still here?
« on: May 06, 2006, 02:19:31 AM »
I don't know if there's a single person here that would remember me, but I just felt like signing on for the hell of it to see if anyone is around.  So, NathanialMark, thechoson, dsong, reachy, et al, any of you guys still alive?  Or even some of the "newer" people from the end of my stay, like Downy?

BTW if anyone is still around and is interested, I'm just finishing up 1L year at NYU (I did take the defferal, obviously). 
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.

Ever

Re: Any of the old guard still here?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 02:33:04 AM »
Wow, your last post was on August 10, 2004 @ 01:48:04 PM

Hmm havenít seen those geezers here, sorry.

Any tips for us lowlifes?

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 03:04:36 AM »
Legendary huh?  Ha ha, guess I just missed hitting that mark by a few months.  At one point, I was accused of being the "ringleader" of the place, and everyone was in my "army" of followers, choson included. 

Well, now that I'm here, if anyone wants to know what being a 1L is like (esp at NYU) I'll answer a few questions between studying for crim.
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 03:23:54 AM »
Last post then I'm going to bed for the night.

I'm taking Crim (hate it) Admin (actually really liked it) and Corporations (also really liked it) this semester.  I had contracts, torts and civ pro last semester. 

One thing that doesn't work is trying to guess what the prof wants or doesn't want from the content of the classes.  The best most attentive professor might be the one who gives you an exam that is totally different from 1) class discussion and 2) their own prior exams.  My admin final was completely different from every test my prof gave for the last 5 years.

Also, you need to pay attention to the facts of cases.  They seem stupid and irrelevant (which they are for the most part) but some professors will want you to CITE cases on the exam and distinguish/analogize the facts of the case to the exam hypo.  Also, some professors LITERALLY just change facts from some cases and make those the exams. 

And more than anything, I'm going to reccomend NOT breaking up with your girlfriend/fiance of 5 years 2 weeks before finals.  Not really all that helpful when it comes to focusing on finals. . .

I never met the Scalia kid, but I think he's an ass (no pun intended) for doing what he did.  We'll probably never get Scalia to come back here again, or to take a clerk from NYU. 

Lily Jaye

• Sr. Citizen
  • A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 03:45:55 AM »
Scalia kid?

God I've been out of the loop. :-\
Random 2L who does not spend nearly as much time here as she should.

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 03:50:22 AM »
Last post then I'm going to bed for the night.

I'm taking Crim (hate it) Admin (actually really liked it) and Corporations (also really liked it) this semester.  I had contracts, torts and civ pro last semester. 

One thing that doesn't work is trying to guess what the prof wants or doesn't want from the content of the classes.  The best most attentive professor might be the one who gives you an exam that is totally different from 1) class discussion and 2) their own prior exams.  My admin final was completely different from every test my prof gave for the last 5 years.

I think the bolded part is true, to a degree. Sometimes you will see a common theme throughout exams, and it's good to know what your professors are into.  On the other hand, my exam yesterday the teacher went off on a tangent that wasn't evident in ANY of his prior exams.  He figured he'd mix things up a little this year and confuse the heck out of everyone.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

Ever

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 11:01:30 AM »
I read his responses and even if he did screw over NYU he made some really solid points.

Thou

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am LSD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 11:37:22 AM »
I don't know if there's a single person here that would remember me, but I just felt like signing on for the hell of it to see if anyone is around.  So, NathanialMark, thechoson, dsong, reachy, et al, any of you guys still alive?  Or even some of the "newer" people from the end of my stay, like Downy?
BTW if anyone is still around and is interested, I'm just finishing up 1L year at NYU (I did take the defferal, obviously). 

What are you talking about?  Downy was around at the time you registered.
Law is surprisingly false tolerant.

© 2004-2012, Thou