Law School Discussion

For the older students moving to a new city for LS

juliemccoy

• Treat??
    • View Profile
Re: For the older students moving to a new city for LS
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2006, 12:11:37 PM »
question for those of you who have moved a lot (i feel dumb asking, so be gentle) - have any of you moved blind to a new area? if so, how did you do it and how did it work out?

Moving is stressful no matter if you are coming into a job and have a place to live already lined up. In my experience (3 cross-country moves in 5 years, 2 of them blind), the blind moves worked out better. Just visit the place first to make sure you'll like it. I found that to set up a network, I needed to get involved with local political groups, my sorority alumnae association and/or my university alumni club (if applicable). And patience... the first 6 months are the worst.

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2006, 12:41:50 PM »
question for those of you who have moved a lot (i feel dumb asking, so be gentle) - have any of you moved blind to a new area? if so, how did you do it and how did it work out?

Moving is stressful no matter if you are coming into a job and have a place to live already lined up. In my experience (3 cross-country moves in 5 years, 2 of them blind), the blind moves worked out better. Just visit the place first to make sure you'll like it. I found that to set up a network, I needed to get involved with local political groups, my sorority alumnae association and/or my university alumni club (if applicable). And patience... the first 6 months are the worst.

agreed. at least law school breaks it up a bit because you are automatically thrown into a community of sort; whether or not this becomes your main group or not won't matter but it will ease the confusion and isolation of the first six months.

or this is what i keep telling myself  :(

smiley

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2006, 07:40:06 PM »
Although I love Ann Arbor already, I can't imagine I'm going to settle there after three years. However, it is a good gateway to Chicago, a city that I'm interested in for a few years down the line. Right now, though, my plans are to return to the DC area. That may change based upon my SO and where he ends up going to grad school.

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2006, 12:06:31 PM »
Staying put. Its one (of a number) of the main reasons we chose UW over U Mich.

cyberrev

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2006, 06:55:16 AM »
my wife and i just figured out that in 23 years of marriage, we have moved 15 times, including inter-city moves.

damn witness protection program, anyway   :D

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2006, 11:58:39 AM »
My wife is an ObGyn, which means everytime we change states, she would need to pay a huge medical malpractice insurance premium (or find a job in the new place that pays it for us.)  That means we'd like to stay where we end up for law school.  My extended family is all in New England, hers is in California, so one of the two is likely, unless we stay here in Delaware (in which case I'd probably go to one of the Philadelphia schools). 

Delaware was a bit of a random destination for us (no family around here, never lived here before, etc.) this past move (which we made after my wife's obgyn residency ended) - we won't be doing that again unless I get into a national law school.  A regional school would need to be a place we already knew we could live long term.

rhythmbomb

• ON WISCONSIN!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2006, 07:31:43 PM »
I'm moving to Madison from California, which is great because I'm sick of it and don't want to come back.  I realize that 3 years in the arctic tundra may change my mind.  The diploma privilege, which allows Wisconsin grads to practice there without taking the bar there is a nice incentive to stay.  I may move on, but I hope to like it enough to stay.

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2006, 04:51:40 PM »
Planning on staying there for good.  Have family and friends there.