Law School Discussion

For the older students moving to a new city for LS

HippieLawChick

• Current 2L
    • View Profile
Re: For the older students moving to a new city for LS
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2006, 07:27:03 AM »
Depends on where my job is after LS.

Right now, I feel game to move anywhere in the state after graduation.

mobo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2006, 03:34:21 PM »
moving for law school, and planning on moving again after (likely internationally)

question for those of you who have moved a lot (i feel dumb asking, so be gentle) - have any of you moved blind to a new area? if so, how did you do it and how did it work out?

i will be abroad until the beginning of july, and was planning on moving at the beginning of august to chicago, and looking for an apt when i get there. i may not have the opportunity to travel the 2000 miles to chi to find a place to live before i get in my car with all my crap... any suggestions? if i leave it till the first week in august, will i find a cheap place to live?

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2006, 03:51:14 PM »
Whatever you do, do NOT agree to sign a lease on an apartment you haven't seen. I had someone else find an apartment for me and ended up paying $3K extra in moving costs because that place was uninhabitable. I'm sure you'll be able to find something you can sublet for a month or two if you are not able to find something right away. Now, you just want to focus on narrowing down neighborhoods that will interest you and getting into contact with agents (or people on craigslist) who can give you information on apartments. You may be able to see pictures and narrow down where you want to look. Chicago is big enough that you should be able to find something reasonable.

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2006, 04:22:37 PM »
moving for law school, and planning on moving again after (likely internationally)

question for those of you who have moved a lot (i feel dumb asking, so be gentle) - have any of you moved blind to a new area? if so, how did you do it and how did it work out?

i will be abroad until the beginning of july, and was planning on moving at the beginning of august to chicago, and looking for an apt when i get there. i may not have the opportunity to travel the 2000 miles to chi to find a place to live before i get in my car with all my crap... any suggestions? if i leave it till the first week in august, will i find a cheap place to live?

what's great about the chicago market is that there is always something moving. if you were moving to a smaller and/or college town (like I am) then you would have a harder time b/c they have one big renting "cycle" and then they are pretty much done for the year. You can start with places like the Apartment People etc.. who are paid to find you a place but you will probably be ok finding a relatively affordable (and i mean this by Chicago standards :) ) studio near Northwestern. What's even better is that by August the remaining landlords are getting a little desperate, esp around campus, b/c whereas the city as a whole has a somewhat revolving renting cycle, the places closer to NU, Loyola, Depaul etc.. are usually occupied by students. I think you will be fine. Check out www.chicagoreader.com as well

good luck :)

mobo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2006, 04:29:27 PM »
thanks for all the reassurances. you are saying what my gut and experience say...reading posts dated april/may from people stressing about apts freaked me out unnecessarily.

i have already started researching neighborhoods and price ranges (oof.), and thinking about what my minimum requirements are...

now i just need to figure out where i am going to stay, and put all my stuff, while i look for a place. i wonder if it is worth trading in my 97 two door for a small pickup truck...

wunder

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2006, 05:45:07 PM »
Please note:  if you want to live in a neighborhood that is dominated by a school, you are probably not going to be able to find somewhere good in August.  I'm not stressing because we're moving to the suburbs, far away from my campus, and have no intention of living anywhere near any college students, so we can walk in at the end of July, sign a lease and move in two weeks later.  But, I know the area around my undergrad school had a very strict rental cycle and if you didn't have a place by the end of April, you were either moving away from campus or living in everyone else's rejects.  I'm not saying you should be worried because I'm guessing you're like me and don't care to have six eighteen-year-olds getting plastered on a Tuesday night in the apartment above you, but that's why a lot of people are freaking out about apartments - they are trying to find something in that area immediately around campus that is controlled by the school year rental cycle.  So, let them freak and know that you'll be fine.  :)

Jolie Was Here

• 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2006, 08:03:31 AM »
I've moved about a bajillion times, but it's always been within NY State.  I've gone from the Hudson Valley to the Capitol District to the Finger Lakes to NYC, but somehow it feels like a bigger deal to pack up and cross several states. 
Anyway, I think it's highly unlikely that I'll settle in Ann Arbor, lovely as it is.  The Big Apple will likely get me back, but I could be swayed by the right offer. 

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2006, 10:05:47 AM »
I've moved about a bajillion times, but it's always been within NY State.  I've gone from the Hudson Valley to the Capitol District to the Finger Lakes to NYC, but somehow it feels like a bigger deal to pack up and cross several states. 
Anyway, I think it's highly unlikely that I'll settle in Ann Arbor, lovely as it is.  The Big Apple will likely get me back, but I could be swayed by the right offer. 

you seem like you belong in the South.  Maybe Mississippi?

Jolie Was Here

• 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2006, 10:08:28 AM »
Ha ha ha ha.  HA.  Haha.

Um, no.

rhombot

• hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2006, 10:15:40 AM »
Depends on how I like the city I move to...I'm also used to moving a lot.

same here

ditto.