Law School Discussion

Surprise waitlist at UCLA

mto83

• View Profile
Surprise waitlist at UCLA
« on: May 05, 2006, 07:23:42 PM »
So with my numbers, I thought I would get rejected outright. This waitlist is just so odd to me. What do people think? Is a rejection a forgone conclusion? What is UCLA thinking?

shae

• View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Surprise waitlist at UCLA
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 07:26:13 PM »
a lot of schools use waitlists for diversity, that could by a reason you were placed on it

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 07:36:48 PM »
a lot of schools use waitlists for diversity, that could by a reason you were placed on it

UCLA saw something in your application that kept you out of the reject pile.  Diversity could be a reason for the waitlist, but UCLA doesn't seem to be hurting for competitive Asian applicants.

mto83

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 07:46:07 PM »

UCLA saw something in your application that kept you out of the reject pile.  Diversity could be a reason for the waitlist, but UCLA doesn't seem to be hurting for competitive Asian applicants.

Exactly! I am Asian; I am not even a competitive Asian. I wonder what they saw in me...

shae

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 07:53:15 PM »
diversity doesnt have to be race

mto83

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 12:51:23 PM »
A kid from high school who is now at UCLA, said that I probably won't get in. They are waitlisting a lot of people just in case some bazaar yield happens.

I want to be a Bruin so badly! I am actually wearing Bruin colors as we speak.

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 02:25:17 PM »
I think it's diversity, given that you are vietnanmese

mto83

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 03:34:39 PM »
I think it's diversity, given that you are vietnanmese

Ummm...I don't think Cali has a dearth of Vietnamese. Or gays. Or even gay Vietnamese.

Whatever...congrats on the WL. If I were a gay Vietnamese person, I'd prefer LA over Tuscaloosa. Hell, I'm a straight white guy and I prefer LA over Tuscaloosa.

I do think there are a lot of Vietnamese people in Southern California--that is why there that Vietnamese shopping center somewhere around LA if I remember correctly. And there are definitely gays in Cali, especially in WeHo. I do think gay Vietnamese may be harder to come by. I also worked at a LGBT legal non-profit for awhile, maybe that helped a little.

Also, it isn't a matter of preference. It is a matter of UCLA taking me. I would definitely go to UCLA over Alabama in a heartbeat.

So I guess that is the answer to why I have been waitlisted: I am a gay Chinese/Vietnamese candidate.

Thanks folks. Now if someone can tell me how to get off it...

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2006, 04:39:37 PM »
#1. Congrats on making the WL, although our numbers are different, I'm probably close to the same index number as you, and I didn't even try to apply to UCLA (probably best that I didn't because I managed to not get any outright rejections while still getting a bunch of WL's!)

#2. Although diversity is good, I think that those things can help a little, but usually don't make a huge difference.  If the person reviewing your app happened to be a gay Vietnamese, maybe that helped, but you have to think about what diversity they are looking for.  They post certain numbers, Male/Female and Race, Vietnamese isn't a race, maybe they post gay/straight (I don't know this), but if you are a one-legged Indian midget, I don't think that kind of diversity will do any more or less than being a gay Vietnamese.

Is this right?  Probably not, but neither is accepting/rejecting people only on the basis of numbers.

mto83

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2006, 04:44:17 PM »
#1. Congrats on making the WL, although our numbers are different, I'm probably close to the same index number as you, and I didn't even try to apply to UCLA (probably best that I didn't because I managed to not get any outright rejections while still getting a bunch of WL's!)

#2. Although diversity is good, I think that those things can help a little, but usually don't make a huge difference.  If the person reviewing your app happened to be a gay Vietnamese, maybe that helped, but you have to think about what diversity they are looking for.  They post certain numbers, Male/Female and Race, Vietnamese isn't a race, maybe they post gay/straight (I don't know this), but if you are a one-legged Indian midget, I don't think that kind of diversity will do any more or less than being a gay Vietnamese.

Is this right?  Probably not, but neither is accepting/rejecting people only on the basis of numbers.

#1 I am glad I tried, instead of trying to go through the cycle unscathed.

#2 Then what is UCLA thinking?