Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Indiana-Bloomington, anyone?  (Read 5799 times)

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
Re: Indiana-Bloomington, anyone?
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2006, 02:09:15 PM »
hi guys... so poolside huh?  i've never been to bloomington but i guess if i'm going there it really sounds like i need to get down there to see about housing!  does anyone know of cheaper, decent housing?  i was hoping for the $350-$450 range... 

the unfurnished stuff does suck.  thankfully i have a bed and a desk, but it'd be nice to have other stuff (or at least the option!!!). 

:)

There is housing there in that range from what I saw, but like others have said housing in that range tends to be older and more run downish, and also still unfurnished it seems.  :-\ I wonder if they would let me camp out in the forest next to the school if I brought a tent...  :D :D :D

Why bother with the tent?  I thought you were waterproof!

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2006, 02:13:16 PM »
hi guys... so poolside huh?  i've never been to bloomington but i guess if i'm going there it really sounds like i need to get down there to see about housing!  does anyone know of cheaper, decent housing?  i was hoping for the $350-$450 range... 

the unfurnished stuff does suck.  thankfully i have a bed and a desk, but it'd be nice to have other stuff (or at least the option!!!). 

:)

There is housing there in that range from what I saw, but like others have said housing in that range tends to be older and more run downish, and also still unfurnished it seems.  :-\ I wonder if they would let me camp out in the forest next to the school if I brought a tent...  :D :D :D

Why bother with the tent?  I thought you were waterproof!

:P very funny!
quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

makhalu

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2006, 07:36:48 PM »
Duck,

thanks for the details on your visit...it was extremely helpful. deciding betwn here, USD, and Chicago-Kent, but leaning towards Indiana. i'm actually planning on visiting there this weekend, and from everything i've heard sounds like it's a really pretty campus, though a bit fratty. they've finished school, already, so i'm guessing there wont be too many students. ah, well.

anyone making/made similar decisions?

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2006, 07:41:34 PM »
Duck,

thanks for the details on your visit...it was extremely helpful. deciding betwn here, USD, and Chicago-Kent, but leaning towards Indiana. i'm actually planning on visiting there this weekend, and from everything i've heard sounds like it's a really pretty campus, though a bit fratty. they've finished school, already, so i'm guessing there wont be too many students. ah, well.

Can I ask what "fratty" is?  I saw that a lot when I was applying last year, and saw IU Law described as fratty a lot this cycle.

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2006, 09:47:40 PM »
Duck,

Can I ask what "fratty" is?  I saw that a lot when I was applying last year, and saw IU Law described as fratty a lot this cycle.

I don't know about everyone else, but when I think of fratty I think of like...well for example, there is a frat house right next to the law school, and several on the street right around the corner from it. That is fratty. The crowd that hangs around killroys, that is fratty from what I saw. Make sense?
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2006, 09:54:56 PM »
Duck,

Glad you enjoyed the review! Be sure to post your own review after you visit, it is always nice to know what other people think. :)

DougLlewellyn

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2006, 01:01:01 AM »
hey, i might see you guys next year!  iu-b is on my short list of transfer schools (iu-b, uiuc, notre dame,  & wisc) feeding into the chicago mkt. 

have a great 1L year guys.

I hope you will visit sometime before or maybe during the semester depending on how far Bloomington is to Toledo.  I am scheduled to move in on June 30.  Congratulations again on the full-tuition scholarship.  I hope you enjoy it and I know you will be motivated.

Keep me posted on the summer plans...you have my e-mail.

DougLlewellyn

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2006, 01:10:18 AM »

Yes.  I think so.

Am I right to assume that USD is San Diego and not South Dakota?  If so, I was accepted at USD and gave the school some serious consideration.  I visited in December, toured the campus and met informally with an assitant director in the admissions office.

I visited both USD and IU-B and I have given both schools enough thought to offer comparisons.

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2006, 08:55:40 AM »
I don't know about everyone else, but when I think of fratty I think of like...well for example, there is a frat house right next to the law school, and several on the street right around the corner from it. That is fratty. The crowd that hangs around killroys, that is fratty from what I saw. Make sense?
Ok, well, Bloomington is a college town so you get all those types of people.  I've heard the law school itself described as "fratty", and that's what I had trouble getting my head around.  I really don't understand how the law school could be "fratty."

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2006, 09:09:45 AM »
Ok, well, Bloomington is a college town so you get all those types of people.  I've heard the law school itself described as "fratty", and that's what I had trouble getting my head around.  I really don't understand how the law school could be "fratty."

Yes, I understand this. That is kind of why I don't think a complex that may be known for partying would be so horrible, because like you said it is a college town, that stuff is everywhere. I didn't say the law school itself was fratty, just the area right around it. I can't speak much for the students at the law school itself, I only met a few of them, but the ones I did meet seemed really great and helpful, and were interesting to talk to.

I am curious, do you know of someone that had a bad experience living at university commons? do you know of any law students that actually live there? Thanks.