Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Would AA make you less likely to hire a black lawyer/doctor?  (Read 24260 times)

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
Re: Would AA make you less likely to hire a black lawyer/doctor?
« Reply #160 on: May 10, 2006, 01:10:37 AM »
H4CS is gay? 

Makes sense; I've noticed virtually all of the good ones are. :'(

<---not gay.

are you excepting me?

No.

so i'm not a good one?  :-\

what's wrong with me?

Your about as interesting as a slab of granite chained to a desk.

Lily Jaye

• Sr. Citizen
  • A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 10, 2006, 01:11:23 AM »
H4CS is gay? 

Makes sense; I've noticed virtually all of the good ones are. :'(

<---not gay.

are you excepting me?

No.

so i'm not a good one?  :-\

what's wrong with me?

C'mon, I'm a quantatitve girl; I can't phrase it nearly as eloquently as Red did. ;)
Random 2L who does not spend nearly as much time here as she should.

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #162 on: May 10, 2006, 01:21:03 AM »
Poor Stan  :'(
I have been having trouble following all the back and forth on this thread -- but something about all the good guys being gay.
Well, Stan, I'm sure you're a decent straight guy. There are some decent straight guys, unfortunately the majority makes the rest of you look bad.

On another note, it appears that Stan and Googler will be classmates next year  :D
Be sure to report back what the googlemonster is like IRL.

When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

faith2005

« Reply #163 on: May 10, 2006, 01:25:53 AM »
except you can't choose your race...i guess red. was right. :o

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 10, 2006, 01:26:58 AM »
Either stereotyping is right, in all cases, or wrong, in all cases. 

Do you really believe that this is how things work?

(I know you don't want to seem like you made a mistake here, so give it a minute.)

Ok, so after thinking about it, is this right?

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 10, 2006, 01:30:42 AM »
I'm not going to be mad when I see your username; I'm just going to think you're an idiot.

I'm also going to think that people who want class-based AA to ENTIRELY replace race-based AA are correct.  Thank you for showing me the error of my ways.

I don't get why Petitschoque's impolitic approach to this thread or her refusal to indulge your (sarcastic) question about her family's financial history should have any bearing on your feelings about race-based affirmative action. 

Actually, it's not sarcastic.  I was trying to get to a somewhat legitimate point about how AA's problems with appropriating others' problems to gain an edge in admissions can start at the individual psychological level.

Okay, I don't really know what this means, but I do know that the question you asked was about whether she worked 40 hours a week as a 12-year-old, right?  What on earth does that have to do with "appropriating others' problems" or with affirmative action in general?

First, black people of all class backgrounds face racism.  (But you know that, right?  Because I'm just not interested in having that argument.)  Second, she said her family was not always rich.  Do all people who aren't rich make their children work 40 hours a week, in contravention of our labor laws and human rights obligations? She doesn't need to have worked 40 hours a week to have experienced poverty or working poverty or lower-middle-classdom or middle-classdom or whatever, right?  Your question seems bizarre to me. 

Also, we all know that the accepted rationale for affirmative action in law school admissions is the diversity of the profession and not remedying disadvantage.  So really, why does this matter at all?

Also, I'm sick of all of you calling Petitschoque an idiot and questioning her ability to succeed in law school based upon her arrogance and possible bigotry.  Plenty of incredibly arrogant bigots do just fine in law school.  And I honestly wonder whether you would say these things the way you have been if she were white.

It's not a question of arrogance and possible bigotry: it's a question of having to rely on taking quotes out of context in order to create strawmen. 

I think the post at Barely Legal on the difference between arguing and arguments lays it out really nicely.  (I've heard the same thing about law school from other sources, just not nearly as elqouently.)

[sanctimony]
Hm. Okay.  I don't think this makes her an "idiot," as you and others have been calling her.

Also, Lily, this is going to sound mean, but I don't know how to avoid saying it since we are on the topic of methods of argumentation.  I think you are very smart and interesting, but you will probably find in the next few years that your tendency toward ad hominems and your generally captious manner will not serve you well, whether in meeting nice vegan boys or in getting through your 1L classes.  Sometimes getting through life just takes a deep breath and a bit of humility. [/sanctimony]
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 10, 2006, 01:31:56 AM »
Since when do "frat" boys engage in homoerotic bondage?  I thought we rape black strippers and roofie sorority girls?  You need to get your story straight.

No, no, you act out in these ways precisely because of your anguish about repressing your homoerotic desires, see?

Also, it amazes me the way most conservatives can't see past the term "liberal" for people who oppose them.

I guess demonizing the Greek system (which represents the old conservative establishment) is in style nowadays. 

Well, I am rather enjoying this discussion, but I was joking.  I don't even really believe in repression, for one.

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 10, 2006, 01:37:08 AM »
Since when do "frat" boys engage in homoerotic bondage?  I thought we rape black strippers and roofie sorority girls?  You need to get your story straight.

No, no, you act out in these ways precisely because of your anguish about repressing your homoerotic desires, see?

Also, it amazes me the way most conservatives can't see past the term "liberal" for people who oppose them.

I guess demonizing the Greek system (which represents the old conservative establishment) is in style nowadays. 

Well, I am rather enjoying this discussion, but I was joking.  I don't even really believe in repression, for one.

Eh, yours is one of the dominant positions regarding the extreme overrepresentation of fraternity members in gang rape.  Peggy Reeves Sanday wrote a great work describing that frat boys really do love each other and in order to express it, they gang rape women, as it wouldn't be appropriate to show sexual affection any other way.  You weren't just going out on a limb there.

Everybody thinks I'm daft tonight!
Do you really think I don't know this?  I was a queer theory-girl (not a queer-theory girl) in the heady days of the early 1990s!  We practically invented the concept of homosociality!

John Galt

« Reply #168 on: May 10, 2006, 01:37:30 AM »

Well, you'll be happy to know that I helped kick KapSig off my undergrad campus.  These roots go deep big guy.

I, for one, fully support the Greek system.  It makes it way easier to recognize and write off the morons if they wear it in three letters across their chest.

Why is it acceptable to say this, but not acceptable to say that most blacks are violent uneducated criminals?  Either stereotyping is right, in all cases, or wrong, in all cases. 

You're qualified for CLS, huh?

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php