Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Would AA make you less likely to hire a black lawyer/doctor?  (Read 25966 times)

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
Re: Would AA make you less likely to hire a black lawyer/doctor?
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2006, 01:35:27 PM »
2. It would depend on its implementation.  If it was giving a small advantage to someone that truly has the potential to do better, but couldn't because of family circumstance.  But any disadvantage evaporates by college, so I don't support any type of AA for grad school. 

i'm not sure whether or not this is factually true, since i can imagine that people who are poorer might have to work through college and thus have less time to work on academics.  however, i'm not going to argue it at this point since i don't have any empirical data and i'm feeling rather lazy at the moment.

what about a small advantage to someone who was URM for college then?  or do you believe that URM are not disadvantaged once you control for socioeconomic background?

Honestly, I don't think having to work really affects grades.
  Think about how much time most people male private part around during college.  Spending 10 hours a week working wouldn't affect academics at all.

And yes, I do not believe for a second that a URM's are disadvantaged after controlling for socioeconomic background. 

Growing up poor, having to work through college (some work more than 10 hours/week), not having $$ to LSAT prep courses, not having lawyers in the family to run to for advice ... those things make a difference.

And as for the URMs get all the breaks claim ... I'll tell that to the (objectively less qualified in experience and quality of work) white boy who took my promotion.  I'll also tell that to my white boyfriend, who got a management job after the company demoted a minority.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

Lily Jaye

• Sr. Citizen
  • A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2006, 07:12:12 PM »
SC, I'm going to pause to put you back under my shoe for just a second but after this point, you get no more attention. I mentioned your mother not to be mean but simply because my conscience demands I tell the truth. When I encounter particularly unworthy lowlifes like you, I know they were parented by equally unworthy embarrassments. Simple deduction. Duh.

who is this petitschoque and why does he/she think that he/she's such hot *&^%?

Random 2L who does not spend nearly as much time here as she should.

fincavigia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2006, 07:55:26 PM »
petitschoque, where are you going to law school?

Kittyl30

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2006, 08:10:16 PM »
2. It would depend on its implementation.  If it was giving a small advantage to someone that truly has the potential to do better, but couldn't because of family circumstance.  But any disadvantage evaporates by college, so I don't support any type of AA for grad school. 

i'm not sure whether or not this is factually true, since i can imagine that people who are poorer might have to work through college and thus have less time to work on academics.  however, i'm not going to argue it at this point since i don't have any empirical data and i'm feeling rather lazy at the moment.

what about a small advantage to someone who was URM for college then?  or do you believe that URM are not disadvantaged once you control for socioeconomic background?

Think about how much time most people male private part around during college.  Spending 10 hours a week working wouldn't affect academics at all.

And yes, I do not believe for a second that a URM's are disadvantaged after controlling for socioeconomic background. 

Growing up poor, having to work through college (some work more than 10 hours/week), not having $$ to LSAT prep courses, not having lawyers in the family to run to for advice ... those things make a difference.

And as for the URMs get all the breaks claim ... I'll tell that to the (objectively less qualified in experience and quality of work) white boy who took my promotion.  I'll also tell that to my white boyfriend, who got a management job after the company demoted a minority.

there are white people that had to work through college too
she says she's tired of life
everybody's tired of something..

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2006, 08:27:42 PM »

she didn't say that whites don't have to work through college...
Columbia 3L

Lily Jaye

• Sr. Citizen
  • A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2006, 08:29:02 PM »

I thought Susie was adding her thought's onto DB's against Googler's.

But I'm also trying to watch the Simpsons, so I could be misreading something. :-\
Random 2L who does not spend nearly as much time here as she should.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2006, 08:33:45 PM »

I thought Susie was adding her thought's onto DB's against Googler's.

But I'm also trying to watch the Simpsons, so I could be misreading something. :-\

it's quite possible...
Columbia 3L

veg

« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2006, 10:31:08 PM »
DAVE! I'VE MISSED YA!
No, seriously, where've ya been?

Guess who's coming to dinner?!?

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don't call it a come back
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2006, 10:50:36 PM »
Ooh, ooh, pick me! pick me!

Does the answer have to do with the fact that you're a rather sheltered tool utterly ignorant of your own foolishness and lacking the sense to shut up while your betters converse? It isn't hard to see why you hold the beliefs you do. The only mystery is why you think you're qualified to share them. I don't think anyone with a discerning mind has any doubt at this point just how ill-suited you are for anything better than ditch-digging and it's all your fault for outing yourself. Talk about unqualified law school admits. Numbers really must cover a multitude of sins.

You are a miserable bigot.  Like a lot of other blacks, you feel the need to blame Jews for everything that's ever gone wrong with you (look at the Crown Heights riots and the catastrophe at Freddy's in Harlem for reference). 

Keep in mind that Jews walked aside you during the civil rights demonstrations in the 60's.  Now you turn around and spit in our collective faces.  You disgust me.

As a jew, you disgust me and it is jews like you that make us all look bad.  On the other hand it is jews like me that make us all look great.  For the most part googler everything you have posted has made it apparent you have very little knowledge about what you are writing about; you have no real concept of what life is like for a person of color.  You need to get over yourself and FYI African-Americans don't owe jews *&^% so what is up with your attitude?  You make it seem like you walked along side MLK, and even if you did, is a black person supposed to automatically give you some type of stamp of approval and not have the nerve to question something you've said?Get off your privileged horse and don't start talking about things you know nothing of.  You need help.

There's no homework in Law School

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2006, 03:53:29 AM »
Googler,
There ARE black jews.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php