Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Would AA make you less likely to hire a black lawyer/doctor?  (Read 25676 times)

fincavigia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Since we know how much AA allows "less-qualified" URM's to get into some schools, would that make you less likely to hire a black doctor or lawyer because you can't be sure they were qualified? Would it be racist do this?

I'm not advocating either side with this so don't flame me. I do want to hear what people think though.

Cree83

• Sr. Citizen
  • henry
    • View Profile
Re: Would AA make you less likely to hire a black lawyer/doctor?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 12:09:32 PM »
they graduated didn't they?  that's really all i need to know.
She said "love, love, love is all that matters"
I said "sure, I guess, whatever"
She said "what does that mean"
I said "nothin, it's just good to have a backup plan"

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 01:01:18 PM »
Since we know how much AA allows "less-qualified" URM's to get into some schools, would that make you less likely to hire a black doctor or lawyer because you can't be sure they were qualified? Would it be racist do this?

I'm not advocating either side with this so don't flame me. I do want to hear what people think though.

Do we?  I wasn't aware that this consensus had been reached.  Even if that was the consensus, that's a pretty stupid argument.  Competition for medical school and to a lesser extent law school is so intense that there are numerous applicants who don't get into any medical school who would be perfectly competent in their field.  As the OP said, graduating is a clear sign that they are competent, because neither law school nor medical school is exactly a walk in the park.

It should be apparent that this is a racist policy.  Clearly not all URM's are benefitting from AA.  It's impossible to know how much race factors into any single person's admission.  Even if it was a huge factor, it's what happens after you are admitted that makes all the difference.  Anyone who cannot see that this is a racist policy should not be going to law school.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 09:39:43 PM »
All I will say is that some people need a logical refresher.  See Decomposition, Fallacy of.  ::)
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

petitschoque

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 11:40:12 PM »
I certainly wouldn't be less likely to hire a black professional. In fact, the need for AA speaks volumes about society and would thus make me even more likely to hire a fellow black person over anyone else.

I'm personally going to judge everyone's merits individually, but I know numerous people who say they will not go to a black doctor, as blacks routinely get into med schools with 3.0's and 26 MCAT's.

Yea whateverrr. Having a black doctor as a father, I know for a fact that many racist whites talk a good game about not going to this and that minority person in xyz profession but are unsurprisingly full of it. My father broke the virtual monopoly that jewish doctors had over the medical business in the area before we arrived. Funnily enough, the majority of his patients nowadays are snooty white people who begrudge him his wealth even as they come to him because he is more personable and accessible than all the other doctors, and goes the extra mile. They like being treated like his top priority instead of [the] money-making annoyances [that they are]. As racist as they are, they're still attention-whores like most people and will pay to be cooed over by the most attentive and most professional doctor around...even if they hate that he's black and want to pretend he's not their intellectual superior by far. Billing is that much more fun for me when I know the source is an unwilling racist.

Everything I said about my dad--ditto for my equally black mom who's a lawyer with a majority white clientele now.

Face it: Only the most stupid racist (is that redundant?) would choose the rest over the best, especially in something as sensitive as medical or legal care. I wish it were otherwise, if only because racists (and that's what someone who has the audacity to look down on a professional because he/she is black is) deserve bad service.

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 01:56:30 AM »
My dentist is black.
She's far more meticulous and professional than the idiots who f--ed up my teeth.

It was a white doctor and an asian doctor who conducted dental malpractice on me to the tune of $35,000.
I had to have almost every tooth in my mouth replaced because of the substandard work done by these fools.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

SCgrad

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 02:12:08 AM »
I certainly wouldn't be less likely to hire a black professional. In fact, the need for AA speaks volumes about society and would thus make me even more likely to hire a fellow black person over anyone else.

I'm personally going to judge everyone's merits individually, but I know numerous people who say they will not go to a black doctor, as blacks routinely get into med schools with 3.0's and 26 MCAT's.

Yea whateverrr. Having a black doctor as a father, I know for a fact that many racist whites talk a good game about not going to this and that minority person in xyz profession but are unsurprisingly full of it. My father broke the virtual monopoly that jewish doctors had over the medical business in the area before we arrived. Funnily enough, the majority of his patients nowadays are snooty white people who begrudge him his wealth even as they come to him because he is more personable and accessible than all the other doctors, and goes the extra mile. They like being treated like his top priority instead of [the] money-making annoyances [that they are]. As racist as they are, they're still attention-whores like most people and will pay to be cooed over by the most attentive and most professional doctor around...even if they hate that he's black and want to pretend he's not their intellectual superior by far. Billing is that much more fun for me when I know the source is an unwilling racist.

Everything I said about my dad--ditto for my equally black mom who's a lawyer with a majority white clientele now.

Face it: Only the most stupid racist (is that redundant?) would choose the rest over the best, especially in something as sensitive as medical or legal care. I wish it were otherwise, if only because racists (and that's what someone who has the audacity to look down on a professional because he/she is black is) deserve bad service.

you don't see the hypocrisy in this post?  you make a ton of blanket statements and sound rather "snooty" yourself.  js

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 02:32:42 AM »
A lot of white people get jobs because of nepotism.
Instead of saying to ourselves "Well, that person probably only got the job because Daddy is a doctor/lawyer," we think "Wow, that person comes from a long line of doctors/lawyers. They must be super-talented."

When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

Lily Jaye

• Sr. Citizen
  • A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2006, 02:34:55 AM »
they graduated didn't they?  that's really all i need to know.

I think it's less a question of graduating so much as it is passing licensing exams -- which are done blind.

After all, schools have an incentive to let their students graduate.  Professional organizations?  Not so much.  There's a fairly well-respected argument out there that says the fewer people let into a field, the more prestigious the field becomes -- and thus the more money its members can make.
Random 2L who does not spend nearly as much time here as she should.

SCgrad

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2006, 02:39:31 AM »
A lot of white people get jobs because of nepotism.
Instead of saying to ourselves "Well, that person probably only got the job because Daddy is a doctor/lawyer," we think "Wow, that person comes from a long line of doctors/lawyers. They must be super-talented."

that's a good point.