Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Would AA make you less likely to hire a black lawyer/doctor?  (Read 24656 times)

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
Re: Would AA make you less likely to hire a black lawyer/doctor?
« Reply #260 on: May 15, 2006, 09:57:41 AM »
According to a paper by Richard Sander, a professor at UCLA Law, affirmative action actually hurts black students by placing them in schools where they are not competitive with the rest of the student body. As evidence he cites that:

-Half of black law students are in the bottom 10% of their class.

-92% of black law students are in the bottom 50% of their class.

-83 percent of whites graduated and passed the bar within five years of entering law school, while only about 58 percent of blacks did.

If this is true, how do you justify allowing people into schools where they are obviously unqualified simply because of their race? I don't see how you can really justify this.

YOu justify it by looking at the history of the US.  People held to the fringes of society will stay there if not actively brought back into the fold.  White America created a disease in the black population through slavery that has been passed down from generation to generation, the effects of which manifest themselves in prisons, schools, and gang membership.
Arab Majority May Not Stay Forever Silent
http://www.nysun.com/article/36110?page_no=1

fincavigia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 15, 2006, 12:03:52 PM »
According to a paper by Richard Sander, a professor at UCLA Law, affirmative action actually hurts black students by placing them in schools where they are not competitive with the rest of the student body. As evidence he cites that:

-Half of black law students are in the bottom 10% of their class.

-92% of black law students are in the bottom 50% of their class.

-83 percent of whites graduated and passed the bar within five years of entering law school, while only about 58 percent of blacks did.

If this is true, how do you justify allowing people into schools where they are obviously unqualified simply because of their race? I don't see how you can really justify this.

YOu justify it by looking at the history of the US.  People held to the fringes of society will stay there if not actively brought back into the fold.  White America created a disease in the black population through slavery that has been passed down from generation to generation, the effects of which manifest themselves in prisons, schools, and gang membership.

That may be true, but do blacks today DESERVE to get a boost in law school admssions? Obviously they do not deserve this based soley on their skin color.

redemption

« Reply #262 on: May 15, 2006, 12:13:08 PM »

That may be true, but do blacks today DESERVE to get a boost in law school admssions? Obviously they do not deserve this based soley on their skin color.

Give it up, will you? Do you imagine that you've thought of anything new or persuasive to say on this subject? You don't. You're simply boring us to tears with your drivel.

redemption

« Reply #263 on: May 15, 2006, 12:23:41 PM »
Eh. Obsessive + stupid makes me snippy. I don't get what they're hoping for by posting this inanity.

redemption

« Reply #264 on: May 15, 2006, 12:36:27 PM »
If they're angry, they should say that: "I'm angry". Posting ill tought-out ideas won't help, just makes them look dumb.

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 15, 2006, 01:02:38 PM »
If they're angry, they should say that: "I'm angry". Posting ill tought-out ideas won't help, just makes them look dumb.

While you have a point, it brings out quotes like this:

which shows that the other side's arguments are just as dumb.  It is "White America's" fault that blacks don't achieve today?  I'm sure Mr. Cosby and anybody else looking at this problem without a slanted liberal elite viewpoint will agree, right...

both sides have valid points, but those run out after a few posts and as long as there's a response from the other side, the argument deteriorates into drivel ;)

White America destroyed the family and community structure of a whole people, not to mention stripped them of their culture and relegated them to the bottom of society for two centuries.  The effect that had on families was devastating and lasting.  They are responsible for a disease and it is their problem that blacks are terribly underrepresented in higher education, overrepresented in jails. 

Take a look at India and how they have handled past injustices to the untouchables/scheduled castes; affirmative action was implemented because the leaders recognized that without it, those people would forever be at the fringes of society.

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 15, 2006, 01:47:12 PM »
India, you mean where and the medical system is getting progressively worse due to AA?

Ow, my head.

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #267 on: May 15, 2006, 02:33:23 PM »
That's bull.  The decline in black America's family and social structure has nothing to do with white oppression, as it occurred mainly AFTER the Civil Rights Act.

Not that I don't agree, but just b/c the deterioration started after CRA doesn't mean it's not the result of white oppression.

In that case, why didn't the decline start WAY before, when oppression was at its height?

Personally, I think the decline in family is due to the Great Society entitlement programs. 
Yes. Feeding poor children is the root of all evil.
Googler, you do know that a great many welfare parents are white, don't you?
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #268 on: May 15, 2006, 02:41:20 PM »
That's bull.  The decline in black America's family and social structure has nothing to do with white oppression, as it occurred mainly AFTER the Civil Rights Act.

Not that I don't agree, but just b/c the deterioration started after CRA doesn't mean it's not the result of white oppression.

In that case, why didn't the decline start WAY before, when oppression was at its height?

Personally, I think the decline in family is due to the Great Society entitlement programs. 
Yes. Feeding poor children is the root of all evil.
Googler, you do know that a great many welfare parents are white, don't you?

Yes, stealing money from people to give to another is still evil, even if it's being done with the blessing of the government.

It's absolutely true, that the black communities have been destroyed by these programs.  Why bother waiting until you're married to have kids when you know the government will send you a check? 
Googler, did you know that some people on welfare have actually HAD jobs and actually PAID into "the system?"
Do you have any idea how much [little] people on welfare get? It's not enough to live on.  Most welfare parents have to live with relatives, have boyfriends who support them or under the table jobs to survive. How much research or reading have you done about welfare? 

It's presumptuous to assume that most blacks on are on welfare and/or that people on welfare are inherently bad. You also claim that welfare is a drain on blacks, but not whites, when whites are on welfare as well.

When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 15, 2006, 05:05:22 PM »
not at all.  his argument is non sequitur.

HTH