Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Would AA make you less likely to hire a black lawyer/doctor?  (Read 24501 times)

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
Re: Would AA make you less likely to hire a black lawyer/doctor?
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2006, 04:30:53 PM »
Kidding how?
How many URM law students do you know?
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2006, 04:55:14 PM »
Well what I said was based on a number of students that I know personally, who were accepted to law school.
A lot of people in law school have pretty interesting life stories.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

SCgrad

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2006, 09:46:16 PM »
And? that makes you a hypocrite, that is all.  carry on.

Are you stupid? Or just trying out big words? I would be a hypocrite if I denounced my father's patients for their snootiness even while being snooty myself. Now was my post about their snootinesss? Go back and read my post more closely before jumping the gun this time.

No.  I read it once and that was enough.  If you are such a pretentious female dog that you not only spout off like a snooty, racist, a-hole, but also fail to realize this simple fact when told, then clearly you are a waste of time.  Enjoy your bitter, worthless life.

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2006, 10:07:27 PM »
Legacies are just better than everyone else  ;)

-TMcGraw

Guess who's coming to dinner?!?

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don't call it a come back
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2006, 10:41:45 PM »
Legacies are just better than everyone else  ;)

And cooler because their parents can afford to buy them the cool clothes and toys.  Damn it.

This post is interesting btw.  I clicked on it fully expecting some idiotic discussion but this is page turner. 

Also, I think it is funny that this rarely comes up in terms of AA; most URMs did not have the basic advantages that their non-URM counterparts have enjoyed (perhaps not consciously) their whole lives.  For example; Take a URM with a 3.7 and a 164 whose parents may have been working two jobs or lots of overtime while they were growing up and did not have a college (or maybe even high school) and thus were unable to help with homework or higher a tutor, then when the URM got to school they had to work to help pay their tuition.  Now compare that person with a non-URM 3.9 and 171 who had plenty of parental support; a nice HS education and didnt have to work in UG.  You think the non-URM worked as hard and overcame as much as the URM did? Get a grip on reality.
There's no homework in Law School

Lily Jaye

• Sr. Citizen
  • A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2006, 11:17:20 PM »
How can you support legacies but not AA without having your head implode?  I guess the only way is if you just have never thought about it...

TITCR.

On a slightly tangential note, in an odd way this sums up the difference I noticed between Columbia and NYU.

You made the right choice. :)
Random 2L who does not spend nearly as much time here as she should.

Lily Jaye

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2006, 11:22:11 PM »
Yea whateverrr. Having a black doctor as a father, I know for a fact that many racist whites talk a good game about not going to this and that minority person in xyz profession but are unsurprisingly full of it. My father broke the virtual monopoly that jewish doctors had over the medical business in the area before we arrived. Funnily enough, the majority of his patients nowadays are snooty white people who begrudge him his wealth even as they come to him because he is more personable and accessible than all the other doctors, and goes the extra mile. They like being treated like his top priority instead of [the] money-making annoyances [that they are]. As racist as they are, they're still attention-whores like most people and will pay to be cooed over by the most attentive and most professional doctor around...even if they hate that he's black and want to pretend he's not their intellectual superior by far. Billing is that much more fun for me when I know the source is an unwilling racist.

Let me see if I can deconstruct this:

1. I like how you throw in the fact that the "virtual monopoly" was held by Jewish doctors, as if it was some sort of character flaw. Religion has nothing to do with what we're dealing with, which is race. You could've spoken of the white monopoly, but the fact you threw in that they were Jewish I think reveals a little bit about you.

2. "As racist as they are." You said you didn't speak in generalizations. But now every white person that goes to your father is racist? Pretty hard to believe. And that in the balance of things, even though they "hate" he's black, it's still worth it to them because they are attention-whores. Unbelievable. Somehow I doubt that they, if they were truly racist, would want to see a black doctor, no matter how good he is. You call them all racists and back it up with nothing; if anything, your anecdotes, if you can call them that, almost lead us to believe otherwise.

You talk of the Jewish hegemony, the white racist patients, their hatred of blacks, and their unwillingness to see black doctors. And then have the nerve to be aghast that anyone would dare question you. Yikes.

How did I miss this?

Lily Jaye

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2006, 11:26:19 PM »
How can you support legacies but not AA without having your head implode?  I guess the only way is if you just have never thought about it...

TITCR.

On a slightly tangential note, in an odd way this sums up the difference I noticed between Columbia and NYU.

You made the right choice. :)

Only someone who thinks Wharton is somehow not like HYP would think there's a substantive difference between the two :)

::) WharTTTon is clearly TTT. 

This goes back to when I was giving Donnie advice on Columbia vs. NYU.  My entire point is that there's not a substantive difference between the two schools, but that the self-selection gives them different vibes. 

But as is often the case for those of us who aren't liberal arts majors, describing that vibe can be difficult.  It's much easier to just point it out when it comes up in other contexts.

Lily Jaye

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2006, 11:28:59 PM »
Eh, I have to wait until 2 before I can head to Atlantic City.  I'm trying to get the serious out now before it interferes with my poker. ;)

petitschoque

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2006, 11:44:42 PM »
1. I like how you throw in the fact that the "virtual monopoly" was held by Jewish doctors, as if it was some sort of character flaw. Religion has nothing to do with what we're dealing with, which is race. You could've spoken of the white monopoly, but the fact you threw in that they were Jewish I think reveals a little bit about you.

Oh really, and what is it exactly that it reveals, O Deconstructor?

1. The doctors were jewish and it was well known in the area that being jewish was very helpful in gaining the 'proper' connections. The monopoly was not simply "white" and religion was quite relevant. The area is predominantly Ashkenazi jewish, meaning white non-jews found themselves fighting an uphill battle just like everyone else. Inasmuch as you were not there when my father built his business, it isn't for you to tell me what factors were relevant to the story of his success. I'm the one telling this story, thank you very much, and I admire my father's ability to break through as a non-jewish, non-white.

2. "As racist as they are." You said you didn't speak in generalizations. But now every white person that goes to your father is racist? Pretty hard to believe.

2. Like another poster, you seem to have allowed your 'disbelief' to cloud your reading. I did not say that all of my father's white patients are racist. I simply called out the racist ones to illustrate my point. Don't stretch my words and then serve them back to me as if I won't catch the distortion. If you really have an issue, then dealing solely with what I said should give you ample room to explain yourself.

And that in the balance of things, even though they "hate" he's black, it's still worth it to them because they are attention-whores. Unbelievable.

What's unbelievable, Mr. Deconstructor, is your inability to read thoroughly and catch the point without being bogged down in word choice. The quality of medical attention is at an all-time low to hear some people tell it and many doctors are simply too overworked or uninterested to spend a lot of time on patients. This isn't anything new I'm presenting, it's a well-discussed problem with medicine today. My father takes a lot more time than his colleagues, makes house calls when that's virtually unheard among doctors in our area, and goes the extra mile to interact with his patients instead of giving them the chat-diagnose-goodbye routine. That matters, believe it or not, and as I pointed out, I believe it is the secret of his success. The point of my post was not the word 'attention-whore' and for you zero in on this as if I presented it as a sufficient explanation is dishonest. Period.

Somehow I doubt that they, if they were truly racist, would want to see a black doctor, no matter how good he is.

And I say that even racists value especially high quality care when it's available. But see, that's just my opinion just as what you wrote above is just your opinion. So exactly what do you want me to do? I don't care to convince you if you "somehow doubt" my point. It wasn't written for your benefit, Deconstructor.

You call them all racists and back it up with nothing

So let me guess, this is my cue to now lay out evidence of racism over the years at your exalted feet so my point may be believed? Well, I don't take cues very well. I called them racists and they're racists cuz I said so. The End. If that evidence isn't good enough for you then don't believe me. Deconstruct that.

You talk of the Jewish hegemony, the white racist patients, their hatred of blacks, and their unwillingness to see black doctors. And then have the nerve to be aghast that anyone would dare question you. Yikes.

Aghast? Puh-leeze. More like a-bored as hell. Everything you wrote can be summed up as "you pissed me off by mentioning jews then irritated me by putting your father's white patients out there and I don't like anything you said"...to which I would have said "Ha!" Wouldn't that have been much quicker?

You talk of deconstructing, disbelieving, and your unwillingness to believe my anecdote. And then have the nerve to offer one last exaggeration after the distortions you've already weaved through your post. Yikes.

Sorry to say, but this is a shabby attempt at "deconstructing." You should have let someone better qualified do the job. I'm sure you weren't the only one irritated by what I wrote.

Disclaimer: This post is directed at Dave the Poster not Dave the Moderator so kindly don't misuse your moderator status to viciously police my posts if my post pisses you off.