Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Would AA make you less likely to hire a black lawyer/doctor?  (Read 23664 times)

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
Re: Would AA make you less likely to hire a black lawyer/doctor?
« Reply #190 on: May 10, 2006, 01:21:04 PM »
I know this thread isn't about Affirmative Action or anything, but I just wanted to share this appalling article I read!
They gave some Mexican girl a scholarship to college. I can't even believe it! Then they had to hide this obviously raced-based freebie with some b.s. about "overcoming adversity."

http://www.insidebayarea.com/sanmateocountytimes/ci_3649093

Next thing you know she'll be trying to go to law school.
 :P

It's as if they actually want people like that to go to college and stuff!  What gives?!

For each one of them, there are a hundred prep school kids like these.  Besides those aren't top schools...

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/nation/14351735.htm

But I'm a racist,
they probably need help because of people like me... and for all the injustices they faced growing up...

Yes, it's so awful encouraging minorities to achieve.  It makes me sick.  And where is the evidence that only rich prep kids are going to college? Or, law school? 
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 10, 2006, 01:33:35 PM »

Quote from: Barely Legal (not the exciting kind)
Unfortunately, the ability to make a good argument and the enjoyment of arguing for the sake of arguing are mutually exclusive traits.

Isn't this itself a false dichotomy fallacy?

Ask Googler.

Petitschoque

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 10, 2006, 08:46:14 PM »
Am I the only one here with a demanding job that often requires my full attention?

Quote from: Daveman
Petitschoque, see what you're doing here? You're a uniter.

I know. I don't even do it deliberately but I just have the kind of rare charisma that inspires the average sheep to be more like me, and thereby better himself. Uniting people is the least of my considerable talents.

Quote from: Lily
I'm not going to be mad when I see your username; I'm just going to think you're an idiot.

I'm also going to think that people who want class-based AA to ENTIRELY replace race-based AA are correct.  Thank you for showing me the error of my ways

Oh dear. I hope this too isn't taken as anti-semitic but how can I bridge the gulf of understanding between you and I? I'm a bit...um, how do I put it...tender-hearted? Meaning that I can't abide the attention of people as particularly ugly as you have explained you are, for very long. You're no longer amusing (physically stunted, shrewish, big-mouthed toads tend not to be). So all this prattle about how or what you might "think" after our exchange is rather baffling to me. I just can't imagine where the notion that I would care came from. Is it something I've unwittingly done? I'm not trying to be mean. I just want to understand.

Quote from: dbgirl
In addition to not liking whities, she for some reason also hates mixed people.

Clever DBGirl. Try as I might, I never could hide my secret bigotry from you.

So far I hate all jews, "whities," and "mixed" people. How about asians? Should I pick someone asian to dislike so you can have "evidence" that I hate the whole race too? I'm quite sure I hate all black people. Are you sure I'm not impersonating a black person to fulfill my diabolical plan to get the hated black race in trouble with the Important People here? And women. I hate women. I was quite unkind to Lily and she's a woman. Yes, I've outed myself as a misogynist.

---------

Miss P, you're reading my username as if it's French. It's not.

redemption

« Reply #193 on: May 10, 2006, 10:39:12 PM »
Petitschoque: I don't get what you're doing. Not that you should care, of course, what I think, but your Habesha is showing.

redemption

« Reply #194 on: May 10, 2006, 10:41:53 PM »

Yes, because if it were a poor a white with remotely similar experiences, then, nooooooooo, we can't give them special treatment, their over-represented!  They don't deserve no AA, even if they grew up in the same neighborhood, attended the same school, and overcame the same barriers. 

Instead, let's pick out the handful of cases where somebody gets in who should have some sort of hardship benefit, and forget that the others who get in with AA are just like their white peers.  Well, their white peers a few branches down the educational system that is. 

As for you. Do shut up, will you? This thread's for grown-ups. If we want this kind of post we'll read bumper-stickers while we're commuting. Read a book or something. Wipe the drool from your chin.

redemption

« Reply #195 on: May 10, 2006, 10:45:20 PM »

to be difficult, i'm going to point out that you do not, in fact, commute.  ;)

I do for coffee.  ::)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 10, 2006, 11:31:26 PM »
Miss P, you're reading my username as if it's French. It's not.

Yes, I suppose I must sound terribly ethnocentric.  AFAIK, it's not kreyol either (I speak a bit).  And you are Ethiopian and Nigerian, if I recall.  (Obviously, red. is indicating I have the first part of this right.)  But it doesn't look like Yoruba, English, etc. 

Hmm.  While I'm not pleased that you won't just answer my questions more directly, I suppose I wouldn't tell you why I am "Miss P" either.  And no, it's not for particular, prying, persnickety, phlegmatic...
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 10, 2006, 11:38:51 PM »
If for no other reason, I am thankful for this thread because it shows that stupidity is colorblind.

not necessarily true.  i don't think we've had any stupid hispanic people in here yet.  or stupid indian people.  or stupid arabs.  conceivably, these groups might all be intelligent.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 10, 2006, 11:47:22 PM »
[REDACTED, but just so you know SW wasn't talking to himself.]

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 10, 2006, 11:49:02 PM »
very well.  ;)

I knew you'd understand, SW.  As a matter of fact, I'm deleting that, if you don't mind.