Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Would AA make you less likely to hire a black lawyer/doctor?  (Read 24046 times)

redemption

Re: Would AA make you less likely to hire a black lawyer/doctor?
« Reply #130 on: May 09, 2006, 03:10:28 PM »

Thirdly, even in schools/disciplines/etc where there is considerably AA not all minority candidates benefit from it.  There are more who would have gotten in than those would would not.  Therefore, to exclude people because of their race is definitely racist.

I vote we have a group discussion on the difference between the word "prejudiced" and the word "racist" before we continue this conversation.

Not that either characteristic is good, but the distinction is important.

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,62113.0/topicseen.html

asdf1234

• first person to guess the correct city WINS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 09, 2006, 06:49:22 PM »

Interesting new question:

A number of older black people I know have said they prefer black doctors / lawyers because they "feel more comfortable" with them.

People usually find this acceptable.  Yet if... Googler, for example, said that he wanted to choose white doctors / lawyers because he simply "felt more comfortable" with them, I bet a lot of people on this board would be shaken to their politically correct souls.

Is one of these examples racist?  Neither?  Both? 

Discuss.
HLS Class of 2009

My summer internship pays me to surf the web.  It's fantastic.

Petitschoque

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 09, 2006, 10:13:33 PM »
My, this thread has progressed. Let me kill it with just a bit more snarkery...

Quote from: Fincavigia
petitschoque, where are you going to law school?

Exactly how is this your business? Do you want to argue with me in person or are you going to pay my school fees? Here's a hint: We won't be going to school together.

Quote from: H4CS
And Petitschoque, there may be a certain degree of oversensitivity regarding anti-semitism, but if that means people think twice about what they say, that's fine with me. And you should have definitely thought twice about what you posted and if you continue to defend it, you're going to convince any remaining supporters that you do hold a double-standard when it comes to other people's backgrounds.

1. I really hate the Supporter Argument. If you're going to admonish me to pursue/avoid a course of action, give me a valid reason. Don't give me the We Won't Be Your Friends Anymore rationale, as if I came here to pick up buddies.

2. Anyone who saw anti-semitism in my post is oversensitive or looking for a reason to be put off by me (and managed to miss the obvious ones).

Quote from: Lily
So you worked 40 hour weeks while you were 12 to help your parents out?  Because if not, I don't see how you had anything to do with it.

Since when did what you see or don't see have any relevance to my anecdotes about my family? You speak as if your measure of contribution is the only valid one. Cute picture you posted in this thread, btw. By your own admission, you're a rather stumpy and ugly female of the not-even-with-beer-goggles-would-I-do-this-one sort...maybe I should dig up a representative picture? Or how about you hop off my back before I hop on yours?

Quote from: SW
who is this petitschoque and why does he/she think that he/she's such hot sh*t?

There's just something in the way I move...

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 09, 2006, 10:46:08 PM »
Quote from: SW
who is this petitschoque and why does he/she think that he/she's such hot sh*t?

There's just something in the way I move...

we are not impressed.

I've just always wondered why there's an "s" in "choque."
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Lily Jaye

• Sr. Citizen
  • A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 09, 2006, 11:30:03 PM »
play devil's advocate here...you have a doc and a lawyer for parents with rich clientle.  obviously you never suffered monetarily/were economically disadvantaged. yet your race WILL help you out in admissions processes

not that im saying that a bad thing..just noticing things

Hey suzieq, nice catch, I like your style. You're quite right that my parents are well off now however your assumption that I've never suffered monetarily or been economically disadvantaged is wrong. It wasn't so long ago that things were very different for us and I think part of my self-esteem is derived from knowing we turned nothing into a heckuva lot whereas most people in the same income bracket were born with a lot and just stayed there.

So you worked 40 hour weeks while you were 12 to help your parents out?  Because if not, I don't see how you had anything to do with it.

Since when did what you see or don't see have any relevance to my anecdotes about my family?

Hmm.  Sounds like someone can't legitimately answer the question.

You speak as if your measure of contribution is the only valid one.

No.  I speak as if I have a question about how a third party's actions impact your sense of your own achievements.  It's a seemingly minor point, but one that could be important.

Cute picture you posted in this thread, btw. By your own admission, you're a rather stumpy and ugly female of the not-even-with-beer-goggles-would-I-do-this-one sort...maybe I should dig up a representative picture? Or how about you hop off my back before I hop on yours?

Wow, this is much easier when your opponent is actively digging a grave for their credibility.

Seriously, you're give Googler a semi-legitimate leg to stand on. If you care about affirmative action, you might want to consider the power of silence. 
Random 2L who does not spend nearly as much time here as she should.

Petitschoque

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 10, 2006, 12:09:04 AM »
Wow, please die in a fire.

Your comment wasn't necessary but I can understand why you'd be upset with me. Lol, the first time you wrote that in response to someone, I laughed out loud and I laughed again now. I don't know why that comment's so funny to me.

Quote from: lily
Hmm.  Sounds like someone can't legitimately answer the question.

Oh. This is the part where I scramble to save face and type out a lengthy response to prove you wrong. 

If you care about affirmative action, you might want to consider the power of silence.

Because if I'm not careful to avoid upsetting the powerful people here...exactly what will happen? Maybe you won't hire me? Or be my friend? You'll snatch away Affirmative Action? :)

we are not impressed.

Maybe that should read "we're not impressive"? :) You know I wouldn't ever have stooped to notice you if you hadn't called my attention to you. What were you hoping to achieve?

Quote from: Miss P

I think that's because you're reading my username incorrectly: Petit + Schoque?

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 10, 2006, 12:14:49 AM »
Quote from: Miss P

I think that's because you're reading my username incorrectly: Petit + Schoque?

Yes, I know I am reading it incorrectly.  But why isn't it petits choques or petit choque?  Is there something I'm missing?  (It wouldn't be the first time.)
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Lily Jaye

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 10, 2006, 12:16:59 AM »

Seriously, you're give Googler a semi-legitimate leg to stand on. If you care about affirmative action, you might want to consider the power of silence.

Because if I'm not careful to avoid upsetting the powerful people here...exactly what will happen? Maybe you won't hire me? Or be my friend? You'll snatch away Affirmative Action? :)

Funny how the answer to your question is in the sentence that you conveniently chopped.

Have fun in law school.  Something tells me you're going to have an experience eerily similar to Googler's.

Lily Jaye

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 10, 2006, 12:23:27 AM »
People have more power than you think.  I am still amazed that AA exists today.  Think about it.  The country is pretty split between Republicans and Democrats.  Virtually NO republicans support AA, and many Democrats don't either.  I'd venture to say that significantly less than half the population supports the policy, yet it persists. 

It's only a matter of time.  I for one, told my UG school when they asked for donations that I will not give a dollar as long as the school continues to use affirmative action. 

doesn't matter if it's less than half the country.  it matters what proportion of the donors to the universities it is. 

also lily, googler's experience will be infinitely superior to petitschoques.  he's going to school with me, after all.  ;)

you could have too.  damned georgetown.

Not damned Georgetown.  Damn UG-induced post-traumatic stress syndrome. >:(

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #139 on: May 10, 2006, 12:27:15 AM »
Quoting googler (a sweet name, in fact I am jealous of that title, but anyway...)

"People have more power than you think.  I am still amazed that AA exists today.  Think about it.  The country is pretty split between Republicans and Democrats.  Virtually NO republicans support AA, and many Democrats don't either.  I'd venture to say that significantly less than half the population supports the policy, yet it persists.

It's only a matter of time.  I for one, told my UG school when they asked for donations that I will not give a dollar as long as the school continues to use affirmative action. "

AA is definitely political but not all politics is about democratic voters deciding issues.  For one voters vote for politicians not particular issues.  For two, though law schools are partly political, they are outside democratic politics, so it wouldn't matter if only 1% of America thought AA was a good idea, organizations like law schools could still practice it if they thought it was a good idea.

What the hell is UG-induced post-traumatic stress syndrome?
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School