Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Would AA make you less likely to hire a black lawyer/doctor?  (Read 25205 times)

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
Re: Would AA make you less likely to hire a black lawyer/doctor?
« Reply #110 on: May 08, 2006, 10:26:46 PM »
I want to be clear, which is something I often say.

I don't care about the ethnic/racial/otherwise content of the statement.

"As a jew, you disgust me."

I find all misplaced modifiers funny when they have a possible alternative reading that is in some way funny.  It would be funny to read this as, "Since you are a jew, you disgust me."  This would be true if "jew" were replaced with "future law student," "Young adult," "human," or anything else.  I honestly don't give a *&^% about the jew thing here.

In other words, give me a f-ing break.  I think you took offense because you misunderstood what I meant.  That's fine with me.

Now, the (mis)read was meant to convey what I think is the clearest purpose for it.  I read it that way (unintentionally, the first time around, because that's what the grammar says).  But in reading it that way, I misread it.

Perhaps it's mischevious to point out someone's grammatical error, and perhaps it's mischevious to rile this poster up in particular.  I was just pointing out what I thought was a funny, honest mistake.

Also, my grammar is not perfect.  I don't care.  Point it out if it's wrong.  But I don't think it's worthwhile unless it's funny. If it's funny I'll laugh.

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 08, 2006, 10:32:12 PM »
When you all get to law school (if you aren't there already), many of you will find that these kinds of problems (especially ones involving ambiguity regarding what a modifying word or phrase actually modifies) are a recurrent issue in statutory interpretation.  Just wait, the real fun is yet to begin.  You will find that the drafters of a rule or statute can sometimes be quite careless about what they do.  ;)
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 08, 2006, 10:41:21 PM »
When you all get to law school (if you aren't there already), many of you will find that these kinds of problems (especially ones involving ambiguity regarding what a modifying word or phrase actually modifies) are a recurrent issue in statutory interpretation.  Just wait, the real fun is yet to begin.  You will find that the drafters of a rule or statute can sometimes be quite careless about what they do.  ;)

Do they also hate jews?  I hate jew-haters.  Also jew lovers.  And Tobogganists.

fincavigia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 08, 2006, 10:45:45 PM »
Bass, I didn't read anything you wrote, but whatever you said, that picture is so badass I cannot really argue with you.

EDIT: I skimmed through what you wrote, but that pic distracted me- and I still can't argue.

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 08, 2006, 10:49:05 PM »
Bass, I didn't read anything you wrote, but whatever you said, that picture is so badass I cannot really argue with you.

EDIT: I skimmed through what you wrote, but that pic distracted me- and I still can't argue.

someone else had a version where the cat drank the beer and changed the channel.  I need to change it.

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 08, 2006, 11:02:34 PM »

Do they also hate jews?  I hate jew-haters.  Also jew lovers.  And Tobogganists.

Not that I've seen.  Everyone here is pretty friendly.  As long as you're not an @$$hole.  But professors just LOVE these "modifier, modifier, what do you modify" puzzles.  Drives most others nuts.  Especially since legislators don't always se correct grammar in drafting rules and statutes, so you can't automatically assume that the strictly grammatical meaning is the one they intended to be controlling. 
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 08, 2006, 11:03:27 PM »
I take that as an offense because I am both a grammarian and a jew, and I find this anti-righthanded.

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 08, 2006, 11:04:13 PM »

Not that I've seen.  Everyone here is pretty friendly.  As long as you're not an @$$hole.  But professors just LOVE these "modifier, modifier, what do you modify" puzzles.  Drives most others nuts.  Especially since legislators don't always se correct grammar in drafting rules and statutes, so you can't automatically assume that the strictly grammatical meaning is the one they intended to be controlling. 

Fair enough, but I'm gone at the first sign of a toboggan.

asdf1234

• first person to guess the correct city WINS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 08, 2006, 11:33:03 PM »
Most professionals (Doctors, Lawyers, Dentists, Accountants) have to take a qualifying entrance exam that is race blind.  Anyone who passes that exam is qualified, and that's fine by me.  Beyond that, I will just judge them per their interactions with me.

Most people choose Denistists, Doctors, et cetera through a referral from a friend.  That's a much more accurate criteria than race would ever be anyways.

HLS Class of 2009

My summer internship pays me to surf the web.  It's fantastic.

John Galt

« Reply #119 on: May 09, 2006, 02:33:52 AM »
yes, if there are no mitigating factors.  I would never consider a black doctor just out of residency after HMS, while I'd consider a white one, due to AA.  Bluntly, AA means that a professional does not carry the cachet of the school.  He might be a perfectly good doctor, but he isn't an HMS doctor. 

This only applies to professionals a few years out of school, after that reputation would be the most significant factor.

I think we are all dumber for having read your post.