Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Would AA make you less likely to hire a black lawyer/doctor?  (Read 24953 times)

Guess who's coming to dinner?!?

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don't call it a come back
    • View Profile
Re: Would AA make you less likely to hire a black lawyer/doctor?
« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2006, 03:39:05 PM »
Actually, Googler, your position is quite different from Donnie's.

Your position is such that if your wanted to call African-Americans "niggers", that that would be your prerogative, and that there would be nothing wrong with it.

That is quite different.

Your argument is actually quite hard to tell apart from that of a racist, which is why you may be eliciting responses of the kind that Donnie's don't.

It would still be my right to use racial slurs.  It wouldn't be moral, but people aren't under any obligation to refer to people as they want to be referred.

then when someone calls you a racist, don't argue with them. They have no obligation to refer to you as you want to be referred.

If you haven't noticed, I don't really care if people call me a racist, as it is a sure sign they've lost the argument

Why should you care if people call you by your rightfull name my Jewish brother?

Edit: DIdn't see that part; there he goes again-showing that he is a truue racist! :D
There's no homework in Law School

Guess who's coming to dinner?!?

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don't call it a come back
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 08, 2006, 04:49:45 PM »

Your position is such that if your wanted to call African-Americans "niggers", that that would be your prerogative, and that there would be nothing wrong with it.

That is quite different.

Your argument is actually quite hard to tell apart from that of a racist, which is why you may be eliciting responses of the kind that Donnie's don't.

It would still be my right to use racial slurs.  It wouldn't be moral, but people aren't under any obligation to refer to people as they want to be referred.

then when someone calls you a racist, don't argue with them. They have no obligation to refer to you as you want to be referred.

If you haven't noticed, I don't really care if people call me a racist, as it is a sure sign they've lost the argument

Why should you care if people call you by your rightfull name my Jewish brother?

Edit: DIdn't see that part; there he goes again-showing that he is a truue racist! :D

Idiot.

The fact is, "African-American" is a stupid politically correct term that is confusing in addition to the fact that it serves no real purpose.  I refuse to sign on to the idea that people should refer to racial minorities by whatever term is in style at the moment. 

The reason I know that your position is bull is that blacks get offended when white Africans use the term.  Why is that?  Do you consider yourself an American?  Yes, or no?  If yes, why the qualifier?

Like I said earlier, you're an ignorant idiot and now I am done arguing with you.  There is nothing to be acomplished here so without further ado I bid you all good day and good luck. :)
There's no homework in Law School

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #102 on: May 08, 2006, 05:25:06 PM »

That is quite different.

Idiot.

The fact is, "African-American" is a stupid politically correct term that is confusing in addition to the fact that it serves no real purpose.  I refuse to sign on to the idea that people should refer to racial minorities by whatever term is in style at the moment. 

I think Googler's right. We should go back to calling black people "coloreds."
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

Lily Jaye

• Sr. Citizen
  • A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 08, 2006, 06:24:37 PM »

That is quite different.

You are so stupid it is amazing googler pink person.  Jews face "Problems" but not the type that African Americans face and I believe I am the most qualified person to issue that opinion since I am both.  You on the other hand, have no basis for most of your ideas. 

FWIW, you're not alone on this observation: my cousins are Mexican on their father's side, and Russian Jewish on their mother's, and they've said the same thing.

Just my $.02.
Random 2L who does not spend nearly as much time here as she should.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 08, 2006, 06:34:40 PM »
As for the "as a jew" thing--it is not the point that there is a small grammatical error (which I still don't see but won't dispute it is there) it is more the point that the error has nothing to do with anything and pointing it out was just a way to poke fun even tho bass claims not to be doing that.  Sorry bass, offense was taken but I won't hold it against you.

Oh, dear.

Well, I'm not here to defend Bass, really, but to stand up for linguistic precision in general.  Bass seemed to be saying, "Oh, look, as only a grammar nerd would, I misread your post. Tee-hee."  He thought it was funny because the misreading -- i.e., the technically correct reading -- of the sentence was anti-semitic:  with the modifying phrase "as a Jew" misplaced, As a Jew, you disgust me means the same thing as You disgust me because you are a Jew.  Now I do think that he was being ridiculously exacting and that one could find much more interesting and hilarious grammatical errors on other threads, but I also think that you shouldn't be offended.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

redemption

« Reply #105 on: May 08, 2006, 06:46:31 PM »
Well, to be fair, bass was being mischievous in writing "(mis)read", and in the context of this thread, it was a risky bit of mischief that was likely to rile up "guess who".

On another note, is it me, or is Googler on the verge of donning his hood?

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 08, 2006, 06:49:20 PM »
Birthday girl!  I hope you are having fun!

Well, to be fair, bass was being mischievous in writing "(mis)read", and in the context of this thread, it was a risky bit of mischief that was likely to rile up "guess who".

True, true.

On another note, is it me, or is Googler on the verge of donning his hood?

I have a dream.

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

redemption

« Reply #107 on: May 08, 2006, 06:50:23 PM »
I'm back, for better or worse. Had a blast, though.  :)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 08, 2006, 07:48:12 PM »
myself personally, i use the term black unless i know that the person to whom i'm speaking prefers the term african-american. 

I call people "African American" (in my stylebook without a hyphen unless it's an adjective that precedes the noun it modifies) if I know that they are African American and do not prefer other terms.  I call Africans "African" or by their countries or regions of origin (e.g., Ethiopian, West African) or ethnic group (e.g., Asante) if I know more.  I call black people of West Indian descent "Afro-Caribbean" or "West Indian," depending on their preference and my knowledge of their backgrounds.  Otherwise (as in "black Briton"), or when referring to a group of people of varied ethnic or national identities, I use "black."   

EDIT: to add that I am talking about formal situations above.  My friends and I frequently use the term "black" in informal conversation.

coquita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 08, 2006, 08:17:19 PM »
My dentist is black.
She's far more meticulous and professional than the idiots who f--ed up my teeth.

It was a white doctor and an asian doctor who conducted dental malpractice on me to the tune of $35,000.
I had to have almost every tooth in my mouth replaced because of the substandard work done by these fools.

getting back to the original question, i totally agree w/ dbgirl. I had a white dentist screw up a molar so bad that it will probably die and have to be pulled next year. I also had a white doctor misdiagnose my dizziness an weak spells as hyperthyroidism. I got a second opinion and they found a heart malfunction that now has to be monitored. I am a URM, so will i do as the OP suggests and now only pick minority doctors? No, but i'll get a second opinion now on anything serious, regardless of the doctors skin color.