Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: a little advice please!  (Read 2042 times)

kattiewitch

• View Profile
    • Email
a little advice please!
« on: January 27, 2004, 06:33:00 PM »
I applied to OSU, Case Western, U of Cinn, Capital University and a couple other schools.  Living in Columbus, I'm hoping to stay here and go to OSU.  I haven't heard from OSU, but have been accepted at U Cinn.  Here's the crisis, Capital U, a tier 3 school offered me aid to cover almost everything.
Is it worth the sacrifice in school status?

valerie098

• View Profile
Re: a little advice please!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2004, 10:28:54 AM »
I would go for Capital if I were you! I've done a LOT of research on Ohio law schools (I'm sure you have too) and you can still get a great job with a degree from Capital and you'll be debt free. In my personal opinion---Columbus would be a more thriving city in which to practice law. Being in a central city would give you more opportunites as an attorney whereas being in Cinci would limit you--even though its "ranked" higher. Just my opinion though.

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2004, 01:07:26 PM »
Seems like you have a tough choice ahead of you.  Cinci is a good school.  I have a friend who is attending (1L) and loves it.  Plus, it really isn't that far from Columbus.  This begs the question, however, do you plan to continue to work while attending law school, or do you just want to stay in Columbus? 
From what I understand, Capital has both an evening and part time program for those who work there way through school.  Further, if they are offering almost all expenses, it would be hard for anyone to pass up.
The good thing is you still have some time to decide, and a few other law schools to hear from. 
Overall, however, I agree with Valerie. Depending on what type of law you want to practice, the "Tier" won't matter 10 years from now.

Jason

kattiewitch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2004, 06:01:06 PM »
I don't plan to continue to work, but my boyfriend is in grad school here, and the saving of expense from sharing an apartment (one that allows our dog and cat), makes me want to stay in Columbus.  I guess I'm holding out for OSU.

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2004, 01:07:20 AM »
We seem to be in a similar situation.  I too have been accepted to a 3rd Tier school with a nice scholarship (Dayton), but am holding out for OSU.  Hopefully, we will hear something in the next few weeks.  GOOD LUCK!!!!

kattiewitch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2004, 04:38:02 PM »
I just need to tell someone who understands:  COULD OSU BE SLOWER!!  I know they're doing the best they can, but I'm so driving myself crazy waiting, trying to sort out the information I have.

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2004, 03:41:25 AM »
If it makes you feel any better, I had my application into OSU in mid november... still no news.  I did participate in an admissions chat a week ago.  The rep. stated that they had not accpepted a significant number of students at this point.  Further, they stated that they typically call students to offer admission. 

Findedeux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2004, 06:34:14 PM »
I can empathize with your problem. My application was complete to OSU in november but have not received anything. Their ISIS system  also doesn't tell you anything about your application status. What happens if when they call to offer you admission your never there, lol?

freshstart

• LSAT: 156, UGPA: 4.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2004, 02:39:24 PM »
I'm another OSU applicant in the same boat with you.  My app was sent to them in mid-November and I am still waiting, too.  I  have an offer from UT (Toledo) for a full scholarship, but I may have a tough choice to make if OSU admits me and the financial aid is not as good.  Columbus is a great city, and I understand why you would want to stay there.  I still have family in Cincy, and they have told me that the economy and growth in Columbus leaves Cincy in the dust.

To the poster about the phone call from OSU...I attended the online open house, too, and admissions said that they will try to call you, but even if they don't get you there will be a letter sent within 2 weeks of the decision.  They just think it is a nice touch to call you.

OSU also said that it would be 4-6 weeks for decisions, but noted that they were not around for the last two weeks in December.

Good luck to all!

TheArtist

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2004, 03:40:26 AM »
I'm a Virginian.  What kind of reputation does Ohio State have, I mean besides the regular US News stats...is it a competitive environment?  Quality faculty?  Its job rate is relatively low for a top 50 school:  70% at graduation........?