Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: overrated movies  (Read 3328 times)

TomServo

• Sr. Citizen
  • We are our own photographer!
    • ICQ Messenger - 814749
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=TomServo
Re: overrated movies
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2006, 04:18:13 PM »
Munich is wierdly dividing, also.  I loved it, and so did several of my pals, but I know people who hate it.  Go figure.

Lionel Hutz

• Sr. Citizen
  • aka Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
    • smarter
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2006, 04:21:25 PM »
I did enjoy the acting in "Crash", though.  There were a few standout performances.

"Mystic River" was very good, in my book... it rolled and rolled in a direction you didn't really want to go, and got there with a flourish.  The acting was top-notch, too.

Except Sandra Bullock. Whoah can she not act. And Frasier as DA? I think not. Phillipe was pretty average as well.
Don't touch my stuff!...Hey this isn't the YMCA!

SJU 09

Cree83

• Sr. Citizen
  • henry
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2006, 04:56:58 PM »
citizen kane is hard to appreciate because we have the benefit of 60 more years of filmmaking.  at the time, nothing had been shot like it, and especially not by a relatively unknown guy in his 20s.
She said "love, love, love is all that matters"
I said "sure, I guess, whatever"
She said "what does that mean"
I said "nothin, it's just good to have a backup plan"

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Sr. Citizen
  • Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2006, 05:00:46 PM »
I found Citizen Kane entertaining.

But I don't know *&^% about film making, so I can't comment from any other perspective.

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2006, 05:20:57 PM »
Generally I find films with Mel Gibson in them are overrated, he gets all the hype cause he makes macho movies that appeal to men, but they really are not that good...as evidence I put out the Patriot.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School

HankQuinlan

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2006, 05:32:57 PM »
Magnolia-Boogie Nights is PTA's masterpiece.  Amores Perros dealt with the same issues using similar story telling techniques to better effect. Don't know why the fanboys love this overwrought, self-absorbed piece of cinematic turd.

Crash- Magnolia for the Star Bucks crowd.  It lifts--err pays homage to  Magnolia freely right down to the Aimee Mann inspired montage at the end.

Grand Illusion-Yes it's on almost every critic's top 10 list but it's also boring as hell.  Renoir's Rules of the Game is a much better film imo

sofa king

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2006, 06:31:27 PM »
I saw a compilation of many critics' top picks for movies in 2005. Interestingly, adding them all together, four of the five best picture nominees were considered the second, third, fourth and fifth best films. The one movie not on any top lists was "Crash" which critics rated as the 49th-best movie of the year. Number one on this list was "Grizzly Man."

I liked Mystic River. It was the second movie I've ever seen where I felt devastated at its end (Gallipoli was the first).

The Patriot reminded me of a Simpsons satire. Didn't Mel impale a British Officer with a flag? That movie was trash.

Office Space is hilarious and depressing at the same time. Depressing because we can all relate to it.

I live in Eastern Idaho and Napoleon Dynamite reminds me of some of my neighboring towns.

Maybe we can't appreciate "Citizen Kane" like it's hard to see "I Want to Hold Your Hand" as groundbreaking 40 years later.

[quote
Grand Illusion-Yes it's on almost every critic's top 10 list but it's also boring as hell. 
[/quote]

Boring? What about "Come Sail Away?"

sacrilegist

• I carved this pumpkin!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2006, 06:51:25 PM »
* Lost In Translation
* Napoleon Dynamite
* Munich

I am continually disappointed by the movies that are being released these days.  It is becoming increasingly difficult for me to sit through an entire movie.  Maybe my expectations are much too high.  Hopefully 300 won't suck.                   

I really enjoyed Munich.  I found it thought-provoking and gripping. I like how the morality of the situation was not really black or white.  I both empathized with and abhorred the film's "heroes."  I wouldn't consider it the best film of the year, but I thought it was, at the very list, a solid film.

mccapj2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2006, 07:58:17 PM »
The thing that I thought was great about Crash is that it made people much more aware of their subconscious attitudes toward race.  There is no denying that the majority of America is not color-blind.  Everybody has biases and maybe they don't want to admit them but I feel that ultimately they are there.  For me, Crash was excellent because it made me aware of my own attitudes and made me take a closer look at myself.  Ryan Phillipe's character is great because on the surface for the majority of the movie he is the hope that everybody can get along.  But in the end, he judged a black man based on stereotype.  It's not how he wanted to behave it was just the subconscious attitude.  No movie has made me think and examine my own beliefs like that ever.

Lionel Hutz

• Sr. Citizen
  • aka Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
    • smarter
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2006, 08:04:37 PM »
The thing that I thought was great about Crash is that it made people much more aware of their subconscious attitudes toward race.  There is no denying that the majority of America is not color-blind.  Everybody has biases and maybe they don't want to admit them but I feel that ultimately they are there.  For me, Crash was excellent because it made me aware of my own attitudes and made me take a closer look at myself.  Ryan Phillipe's character is great because on the surface for the majority of the movie he is the hope that everybody can get along.  But in the end, he judged a black man based on stereotype.  It's not how he wanted to behave it was just the subconscious attitude.  No movie has made me think and examine my own beliefs like that ever.

Yep. I thought it made explicit what a lot of people think, whether or not they can articulate. The characters often say things in the film they might not have said in life, but, for instance, I was riding in the car with someone the other day whose brother accused someone of DWA (driving while asian). And LA is not the most rosy racial city on the planet. I seem to remember some riots a few years back. JSIA.
Don't touch my stuff!...Hey this isn't the YMCA!

SJU 09