Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New England or Detroit...?  (Read 1026 times)

Bruno

• View Profile
Re: New England or Detroit...?
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 06:02:54 PM »
HA!  Good point about attrition rates. 

I applied b/c the program at UDM seemed interesting--it still seems interesting.  Their writing program/portfolio approach is a novel idea and their decision to use an advisory council, made up of local CEOs, big firm partners and the like, to refine their curriculum seems progressive as well.

I've been hunting for an overwhelming reason to go to UDM.  In fact, I flew out there last week and took a tour & met with some folks.  The location is good, but the building is quite run down.  It would be an affordable/easy commute from the suburbs too. 

All that said, my heart is in the Northeast and I'm just not confident that a UDM degree will give me much swing there.    It's a pretty regional school.  We definitely want to live in the Northeast--if not now, then in a few years.

An additional down side is that NESL may not have much swing in the Northeast either, given the competition.
As you can tell, I'm still pretty conflicted.  Any ideas?.   

Toogie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 07:17:30 PM »
If you DEF. want to stay in the Northeast than NESL should be your choice. That said, UDM has more weight in Detroit and Michigan in general than NESL has in the New England area.

cultural_vacuum

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2006, 08:31:53 PM »
Bruno,

Have you thought about reapplying to law school next year? What were your numbers? If you're LSAT was low or if you applied kind of late, a higher score, or an October application might give you the edge for the school you want.

If you really want to work in the Northeast, I would recommend looking at schools like Suffolk (especially their part-time program), University of Maine, Franklin Pierce, and Vermont. These schools are a bit easier to get into than most schools in the Northeast, but have better reputations than NESL (especially Suffolk and Maine).

Reapplying in the fall might be your best option. Also, Suffolk has a policy that says they consider your highest LSAT score when determining admission.

Good Luck

Toogie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2006, 08:43:22 PM »
I was actually admitted to Vermont and still considering it.

Besides environmental law, how does Vermont hold up?

cultural_vacuum

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2006, 11:52:28 PM »
I was actually admitted to Vermont and still considering it.

Besides environmental law, how does Vermont hold up?

To find out more, call the schools' career services office and ask some questions. Do a search on Martindale.com to see where Vermont grads are working...do they have the types of jobs you hope to get after you graduate? If so, were they average students, or are these jobs only available to the students at the top of the class and on law review? Check the employers' websites for info. Many firms, for example, will say whether or not an alum graduated with honors and was on law review.

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2006, 12:01:47 AM »
You don't have to live in Detroit proper if you don't want to.

Look at the suburbs. Royal Oak, Birmingham, Ferndale, West Bloomfield, Grosse Pointe, Rochester, Livonia, etc. Oakland county is one of the most affluent places in the country. I'm not joking.

Have you even been to Metro Detroit? Have you seen much of it? PM me if you have any questions.
When he said "that area" I think he means at least metro Detroit, and at most the whole Midwest.

Since you're making this decision with your wife, if you can afford to take another trip to Michigan with her, I would strongly consider it.  It's difficult because she seems against it for even three years, and with law school you always have to take into account the possibility you have to stay in the area.