Law School Discussion

"You seem distracted, like you've got a foot out the door."

jiggedyjared

Re: "You seem distracted, like you've got a foot out the door."
« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2006, 03:24:44 PM »
I'm in a sucky situation myself.  I only applied to reach schools (like 15-60% on chiashu) because I really didn't want to settle.  I figured if I don't get in to a school that I really want to go to, then what's the point, and I'll just try again next year instead.  Here's the deal, though: I've been accepted at 0 schools.  I'm on numerous waitlists, and it's looking shaky for me.  I'd give myself about a 40-50% chance of getting in at one of my remaining 4 schools.  I want to make plans for next year, and had in fact made plans to go to Europe this summer before law school started.  I know... I know... bad idea about the Europe thing now that I haven't gotten in anywhere.

Here are my choices:

Guess that I'll get in somewhere, turn in my two week notice, go to Europe.  At that point, I would either start getting ready for law school (I'd have about 2 weeks), start looking for another job, or start studying for another graduate program - Masters degree or January Admissions for Law school.

OR, tell my friend tough luck... I'm probably not going to be able to go with him to Europe (he's already told me he would literally murder me if I said that), continue working in my job that I don't particularly like, and hope that I get accepted in the meantime.  Wait a year and then do either an MBA or try my hand at a JD again. 

I wish I would have just studied for the LSAT the first time around.  In any case, what do you guys think?

tacojohn

• "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2006, 09:03:32 PM »
That's awesome... in a government agency or large corporate beauracracy that can't be outsourced or downsized (H.R.?), some kind of environment where job security is infinite and nobody has to potentially make decisions that could hurt the "fun" that their "best friends" are having.  However, for the other 99.99% of office environments, where you may have to lay-off people or make other unpleasant decisions, it makes things easier for everybody to maintain a level of professional boundaries and avoid any disingenuous blurring of the lines.

Geeze, I'm not saying you should be the "Dilbert" boss and stop acting like a human being.  I'm just saying look at Steve Carrell's character in "The Office", most of the humor in that show comes comes from situations created by his inability to maintain boundaries.  A boss who tries to be people's best friend is no better than a parent who tries to be their kid's best friend rather than their parent.  You end up freaked out that an underling might (gasp!) suspect you'll leave the company someday.

I don't feel like your advocating professional boundaries.  If you are, then you're saying that based on your boundries, participation in the informal organization is a professional taboo.  A company golf league or barbecue is bad corporate culture, according to you.  Limiting social interaction to "what's up, how's the wife" in fact makes you inhuman, because you're simply patronizing people.

I know I'm making this judgment based on a couple of forum posts, but they've got gunner written all over them, and would lead me to believe you'd be that guy who does great his 2L summer but isn't offered a job because you refused to go out for drinks with the partners even once.

« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2006, 01:43:41 PM »
I'm in a sucky situation myself.  I only applied to reach schools (like 15-60% on chiashu) because I really didn't want to settle.  I figured if I don't get in to a school that I really want to go to, then what's the point, and I'll just try again next year instead.  Here's the deal, though: I've been accepted at 0 schools.  I'm on numerous waitlists, and it's looking shaky for me.  I'd give myself about a 40-50% chance of getting in at one of my remaining 4 schools.  I want to make plans for next year, and had in fact made plans to go to Europe this summer before law school started.  I know... I know... bad idea about the Europe thing now that I haven't gotten in anywhere.
I wish I would have just studied for the LSAT the first time around.  In any case, what do you guys think?

I don't know you at all, so I can't judge you or read your mind with any degree of accuracy.  However, based on not studying for the LSAT and applying ONLY to reach schools, it sounds like you weren't terribly motivated to go to law school (this year, at least).  I hate to be doom n' gloom, but June creeping up and you not having a single safety school on your list, your odds of being accepted somewhere this fall are WAY below "40-50%".  If you really don't want to settle, the obvious move is to put a more serious LSAT-prep plan together and get ready for the next cycle.

I think the matter of your summer plans is altogether separate from law school.  I've been out in the workforce for over a decade now, and I average a one-week vacation every three years.  The ability to just take off to Europe for a summer represents a very, VERY narrow window of opportunity in your life.  I suggest you take advantage of that opportunity while you can... later in life you are more likely to regret NOT doing so, trust me.  It doesn't sound like you currently have a "dream job" anyway, or wouldn't be able to find a job just a good once you get back (you may even be able to keep the same gig).  Honor your word to your friend, take the opportunity while it's there for the taking, and just have a boring and restful in-town summer next year before law or business school.

« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2006, 04:47:32 AM »
I'm not trying to decide between quitting now or waiting till August 2006.  I'm trying to decide between going to Law school in fall 2006, meaning I'd leave my job this summer, or fall 2007, meaning I'd leave after another year.  Plus, my law school even agreed to defer my scholarship.

Make sure you get the scholarship deferment in writing, then cross your fingers and hold your breath.  I told myself I was done bellyaching, but I guess I can pout about it one more time: I deferred for a year and just found out that they took away my full-tuition scholarship.
ok, now I promise not to mention it again unless someone asks about it directly.

Did they say they'd let you keep it? I have it in writing through email.  I'll save the emails.  Is that good enough?
What are you going to do?

No, no writing, just a verbal "If you got it this year, you're probably going to get it again next year."  I deferred a year to work at the UN.  Note to self: working at Nobel Peace Prize-winning UN organization detracts from law school scholarship application.  2nd Note to self: get over it an move on. ;D

So are you still going to go to that school?

yup.