Law School Discussion

"You seem distracted, like you've got a foot out the door."

stc34

• View Profile
Re: "You seem distracted, like you've got a foot out the door."
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2006, 08:55:00 PM »
It's at a non-profit organization: basically we help poor people.  They need me; and they're not going to fire me (so it's not exactly the same as with those in corporate jobs).  I feel that after a year I will have fulfilled a commitment to them of sorts; my work will have been productive and they won't have had to spend too much time finding someone new during a short time span (since I've only been there 4 months).  I know many say look out for yourself, but this is different.  In fact, staying here is looking out for myself because this job corresponds with my future career in law and I'd like to use them as a reference.

SplitFinger

• I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2006, 10:20:23 PM »
I still think you're being foolish to stay, but if they love you so much there, how about going to your boss and explaining your dilemma and asking what he/she thinks?  She may well tell you that you should go to school this fall.

What I'd probably to is tell them that you applied and got in to law school, but once you got this job you arranged to put off law school for a year, but now you're not sure that you're doing the right thing, and you want to know what their advice would be.  It may well surprise you.

stc34

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2006, 10:23:57 PM »
I still think you're being foolish to stay, but if they love you so much there, how about going to your boss and explaining your dilemma and asking what he/she thinks?  She may well tell you that you should go to school this fall.

What I'd probably to is tell them that you applied and got in to law school, but once you got this job you arranged to put off law school for a year, but now you're not sure that you're doing the right thing, and you want to know what their advice would be.  It may well surprise you.

That's not bad advice; I may do that.  But let me ask you: why do you think going this year would be better? Because of the extra year of salary as a lawyer? Any other reasons?

SplitFinger

• I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2006, 06:09:50 AM »
Yeah, what she said.  While it's easy to think that you'll just wait a year and go then, life has a way of throwing you curveballs, especially when you're in your early 20's and not really "settled" yet.  Your girlfriend could get pregnant.  One of your parents could get sick.  You might be in a bad car crash.  Who knows.  But if you put off doing something for a year, you run the risk that a year from now something else will come up that makes you think you should put it off for another year, and so on and so on...

Also, from my experience as a serial career-switcher (attorney will be career #4 for me), what you did in a former career is of extremely limited value to employers in a new career.  So, when you're looking for a job coming out of law school, the extra year you spent working at a non-profit probably isn't going to count for anything in their mind (it's remotely possible I could be wrong, if you're planning on doing some sort of public interest work when you get out of school and you actually still plan on doing that when you graduate).

Of course, all this presupposes that going to law school is what you really want to do with your life.  Just based on what you've said, I don't get the impression that you're chomping at the bit to get there, so naturally I have to wonder if you really do want to go at all.  Only you can answer that question, of course.

« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2006, 07:07:06 AM »
Ohhh yes things come up.  I left my first university because i couldn't afford tuition at the time but I said i would go back after one year.  It took three.  Financial problems, i moved 1200 miles, my sister had open heart surgery...things just kept coming up.  this doesn't always happen, of course...but I kind of wish I had stayed in school. 

« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2006, 07:41:55 AM »
I'm not trying to decide between quitting now or waiting till August 2006.  I'm trying to decide between going to Law school in fall 2006, meaning I'd leave my job this summer, or fall 2007, meaning I'd leave after another year.  Plus, my law school even agreed to defer my scholarship.

Make sure you get the scholarship deferment in writing, then cross your fingers and hold your breath.  I told myself I was done bellyaching, but I guess I can pout about it one more time: I deferred for a year and just found out that they took away my full-tuition scholarship.
ok, now I promise not to mention it again unless someone asks about it directly.

stc34

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2006, 09:12:11 AM »
I'm not trying to decide between quitting now or waiting till August 2006.  I'm trying to decide between going to Law school in fall 2006, meaning I'd leave my job this summer, or fall 2007, meaning I'd leave after another year.  Plus, my law school even agreed to defer my scholarship.

Make sure you get the scholarship deferment in writing, then cross your fingers and hold your breath.  I told myself I was done bellyaching, but I guess I can pout about it one more time: I deferred for a year and just found out that they took away my full-tuition scholarship.
ok, now I promise not to mention it again unless someone asks about it directly.

Did they say they'd let you keep it? I have it in writing through email.  I'll save the emails.  Is that good enough?
What are you going to do?

stc34

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2006, 09:23:23 AM »
Yeah, what she said.  While it's easy to think that you'll just wait a year and go then, life has a way of throwing you curveballs, especially when you're in your early 20's and not really "settled" yet.  Your girlfriend could get pregnant.  One of your parents could get sick.  You might be in a bad car crash.  Who knows.  But if you put off doing something for a year, you run the risk that a year from now something else will come up that makes you think you should put it off for another year, and so on and so on...

Also, from my experience as a serial career-switcher (attorney will be career #4 for me), what you did in a former career is of extremely limited value to employers in a new career.  So, when you're looking for a job coming out of law school, the extra year you spent working at a non-profit probably isn't going to count for anything in their mind (it's remotely possible I could be wrong, if you're planning on doing some sort of public interest work when you get out of school and you actually still plan on doing that when you graduate).

Of course, all this presupposes that going to law school is what you really want to do with your life.  Just based on what you've said, I don't get the impression that you're chomping at the bit to get there, so naturally I have to wonder if you really do want to go at all.  Only you can answer that question, of course.

It seems like major life curveballs like car wrecks, disease, etc. would cause me to have to stop law school even if I'd already begun.  My fiancee won't get pregnant.  Here's why: we're getting married in july 2007.  And we're waiting till then to have sex.  After we get married we're moving to the city where the law school is (which is not where I live now).  By then, she will have already got a teaching job in this city.  So things we'll be kind of locked in place months before August 2007.  Right now, things seem to be almost locked in place here doing what I'm doing.  Also, I really do want to go to law school.  That's what's making this a tough decision, because essentially waiting a year is just as good: same scholarship, I can have my master's, and work at my job longer.  But b/c I want to go to law school very much, waiting a year kind of sucks. 

« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2006, 09:32:35 AM »
yea it definitely sounds like you want to wait a year....law school will be here in a year and if everything else points to waiting...wait. 

stc34

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2006, 09:38:18 AM »
I think you are over analyzing this. 

You have said many times throughout this thread that you really want to wait a year - SO DO THAT!  You are in a great position due to your deferral, and if you start school w/o 100% committment you will regret it.  Wait a year, take some time for yourself, save a little $$ and start fresh next year.

Go w/ your gut instinct.

Thanks, I think you're right.  I noticed you're going to Denver.  I almost went there but I'll be going to U. of Houston because I'm from Texas.