Law School Discussion

"You seem distracted, like you've got a foot out the door."

orky13

• Legally Blonde
    • View Profile
Re: "You seem distracted, like you've got a foot out the door."
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2006, 12:33:29 PM »
So should I leave mid July or August 1st? Most of my schools look like they'll be starting mid August.

| J |

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2006, 12:34:15 PM »
I'm in the same boat as the rest of you.  I'll be leaving right around the one year anniversary of my current job.  I'm concerned about the impact my leaving will have on my department, but ultimately, you gotta look out for yourself in the work world.  I learned this while working for several years as a contractor, then as a salaried employee.  Businesses will show no compunction about letting you go;  I've learned to emulate their example.  Hell, the way things are going here, I doubt anyone will be shocked.  Our director and a critical employee have both resigned within the past month, one due to higher pay and the other due to difficulties with elected officials.  I think when people hear why you're leaving, they are generally supportive.  Most people leave jobs willingly because they found a greener pasture.  If anything, many will envy that they don't have the courage to make that move.

| J |

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2006, 12:35:40 PM »
So should I leave mid July or August 1st? Most of my schools look like they'll be starting mid August.

Depends on how much settling in you'll have to do.  Assuming finances are in order, I'd err on the side of caution and leave early.  You don't want a recent move to interfere with psychological preparation for your studies.

orky13

• Legally Blonde
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2006, 01:08:51 PM »
I agree. Strike while the iron is hot.

stc34

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2006, 01:12:01 PM »
But they've agreed to both defer my acceptance as well as my scholarship.  Plus, I have a roommate where I live now; and I'm in a master's program right now.  So I'll be able to save money this year, and I'll finish my master's, and I'll have a roommate this whole year, rather than going to law school and living alone, which would be expensive.  In fall 2007 I'll be married, and my wife will be working.  I can assure you that life won't get in the way; i'm only 23.

aerynn

• Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2006, 01:20:18 PM »
Unless you are making $80K this year, go to school now.  You are surrendering 1 year of post law school income by waiting.

stc34

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2006, 01:22:02 PM »
Well I'm waking way less than that.  Let's say around 30K.

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2006, 01:24:42 PM »
But they've agreed to both defer my acceptance as well as my scholarship.  Plus, I have a roommate where I live now; and I'm in a master's program right now.  So I'll be able to save money this year, and I'll finish my master's, and I'll have a roommate this whole year, rather than going to law school and living alone, which would be expensive.  In fall 2007 I'll be married, and my wife will be working.  I can assure you that life won't get in the way; i'm only 23.

Defer.  Judging from the tone of your comments, that's what you want to do.  You have permission to defer your spot and scholarship.  Financially, it makes sense to defer (roommate, job, etc.).  Also, a year's break between your master's and law school will refresh you, so that you're not burnt out and sick of school when you get there.  You're already accepted, so it's not like you have to do anything to be there next year that will deter you from going.

stc34

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2006, 01:27:49 PM »

Defer.  Judging from the tone of your comments, that's what you want to do.  You have permission to defer your spot and scholarship.  Financially, it makes sense to defer (roommate, job, etc.).  Also, a year's break between your master's and law school will refresh you, so that you're not burnt out and sick of school when you get there.  You're already accepted, so it's not like you have to do anything to be there next year that will deter you from going.

Thank you.  I think you're right; and deferring must be my gut opinion.  When are you planning on beginning law school? ARe you going straight out of UG?

stc34

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2006, 08:41:16 PM »

stc sounds like you already made up your mind. but you feel guilty about deciding not to go to law school now, and just want some validation from fellow LSD'ers. i still say, go now, go now, go now (if in your heart you know you really want to go)

I wouldn't say I feel guilty about not going this year.  I am anxious to go to law school, because it's my goal.  But I'd feel guilty to leave the job.  And I like the job, so it's not like I'll be suffering all year long.  As I said in another post, I just have this anxiety about others starting before me when I could've started now.