Law School Discussion

"You seem distracted, like you've got a foot out the door."

Re: "You seem distracted, like you've got a foot out the door."
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 08:33:53 PM »
i'm in the same boat....i'm dying to give my notice (4-5 weeks im giving them) but nervous about it (been here 3.5 years, pretty close to my boss...will be a total shock) but then i realize the #1 priority is me...if they wanted to lay me off they would not hesitate for a minute...so i dont feel so bad when i think of that. me me me me  :D

Harper

• works every time
    • AOL Instant Messenger - harperfan02138
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harperfan02138
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2006, 07:39:15 AM »
It seems as though you might subconsciously be already giving the signal that your leaving.  One thing you might want to try is not keeping LSD as your homepage, or wearing your future law school's sweatshirt to work every day. 

aerynn

• Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2006, 08:41:20 AM »
I'm surprised no one's said that to me yet.  My boss has known I'm leaving for the past nine months (needed him to write the recommendation)... and I've been totally scattered at work lately, which is not like me.

I think the problem is that my head--not my feet--is already out the door  ;)

My boss sent me an email when I did some work that I was supposed to be giving to the people I am training as my replacements. :(

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006, 11:24:20 AM »
I'm sure I am broadcasting the "I'm outta here" beacon. (It's similar to the "I had a hot date last night" beacon -- nothing you want to talk about, and your co-workers can't identify it directly, but it's definitely there.)

It's hard not to.

It seems as though you might subconsciously be already giving the signal that your leaving.  One thing you might want to try is not keeping LSD as your homepage, or wearing your future law school's sweatshirt to work every day. 

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2006, 11:29:43 AM »
I'm not 1-L (applying in fall) but I have (will have) a similar situation.  I love my job and am actually still in a training program.  It's an 18 month training program that ends at the end of the year, then i'll move into a 'permanent' position.  I'm wondering whether I should tell them early (really don't want to).  What did those of you who didn't tell them do about recommendations? How did you ask for recs for those that did tell?

I anticipate starting in my current dept (trust dept) full time at the end of the year (currently here as a trainee).  Should I give them some sort of heads up so that they don't start assigning accounts that will be ditched 9 months later?  It's not good for business continuity and problem doesn't give the client the best impression.

orky13

• Legally Blonde
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2006, 11:52:06 AM »
I told my boss too... she was one of my reccs. Then I told everyone. Then I took 3 days off openly to look at schools across the country. Then they told me they'll pay for law school. Now I'm confused.

But the one thing that hasn't changed: I am sick of this job.

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2006, 11:57:16 AM »
I'm in the same boat as a lot of you, and unsure as to how to approach the situation.  Currently, I work at a Big 4 accounting firm, and plan on having my LAST week be the first week of July.  I have a big project that kicks off at the beginning of July, so when do you think I should tell them?  2 weeks would be kind of short notice, in order to effectively transition everything over, and for them to find a replacement on the project for me.  But, I've heard stories around here where someone gives their 2 weeks, and the company asks them to pack up their stuff that day (albeit they did get paid for the next 2 weeks).  So what do you guys think?  3 weeks, 4, or just the standard 2? 

Keep in mind, I'm a big believer in karma (why am i becoming a lawyer then), so I honestly don't want to screw anyone over, but ppl. keep telling me i gotta look out for numero uno.

orky13

• Legally Blonde
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2006, 12:00:10 PM »
Privately tell a boss you trust at about the 4 week mark, making it clear that you are telling them so that they can make better project decisions. If they say get lost, then you'll get paid for the time anyway, and if they don't you'll come off looking as professional and respectful.

Pythagoras

• ĦEn Mexique!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2006, 12:06:52 PM »
I told a few people I'm close with at work as my excitemnt is palpable at present.  Of course, one of them decided that the next thing she needed to do was send a 20 person meeting request over our company Outlook account inviting them to a dinner to celebrate my "law school decision.  I could've commited bloody murder.  I'm pretty sure everyone in the building now knows. 

Oh well, what's that they say about hell and good intentions?  :-[

Pythagoras

• ĦEn Mexique!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2006, 12:41:38 PM »
I told a few people I'm close with at work as my excitemnt is palpable at present.  Of course, one of them decided that the next thing she needed to do was send a 20 person meeting request over our company Outlook account inviting them to a dinner to celebrate my "law school decision.  I could've commited bloody murder.  I'm pretty sure everyone in the building now knows. 

Oh well, what's that they say about hell and good intentions?  :-[

uh oh!

I have the worst time hiding my excitement.  The past few days I've regularly been leaving my office with my cell phone to talk to friends/family.  I'm pretty sure my coworkers think I'm having some kind of life crisis.

Headed to Penn?