Law School Discussion

"You seem distracted, like you've got a foot out the door."

Crap.

I got that from my assistant at work today (I am leaving in July for school, but nobody here knows it yet). I did a not-very-convincing job of saying "no, do you have any specific concerns, blah blah blah."

Any advice on staying sane and keeping my job for the few months I'll be here? I've been here for 7.5 years (since I was 23) and corporate culture dictates I keep everything quiet until I give my official two-three weeks notice.

Alamo

• View Profile
Re: "You seem distracted, like you've got a foot out the door."
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 02:25:44 PM »
One thing I'm going to do: when it comes time in July, tell them that you got in off a waitlist and weren't expecting to even be going.

It's tough - I've been in my job for 6 years now, and have had a foot out the door for months. 

My suggestion: just try and regain your focus - do something to take some initiative at work.  Show an interest in your career.  Don't give them anything to talk about.  Although it's disingenuous, it will keep the paychecks coming until you depart, and it will reduce suspicion.  Good luck.

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 02:30:25 PM »
Well, it was a legitimate point from my assistant...and the IT guy (singular) doesn't care. Heck, he was in my shoes about 10 years ago, but when he told the higher-ups he was doing law school, they offered him a ton of money to stay. It worked. (I will not get that same offer, and wouldn't take it anyway, as I'm sick of it here.)

Crap.

I got that from my assistant at work today (I am leaving in July for school, but nobody here knows it yet). I did a not-very-convincing job of saying "no, do you have any specific concerns, blah blah blah."

You shouldnt take crap from your assistant.

Any advice on staying sane and keeping my job for the few months I'll be here? I've been here for 7.5 years (since I was 23) and corporate culture dictates I keep everything quiet until I give my official two-three weeks notice.

Ah well cats out of the bag now that the guys in IT are hip to your scheme.

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 02:35:29 PM »
Heh...I will be using the "financial house in order" excuse for not saying anything (vs. the waitlist thing)...

Thanks, though -- I've been trying to be interested in the new tech offerings, but also I've been crossing my fingers that nothing huge and important will come down the pike for, say, fall. I don't want to take on a big project and then leave them hanging. (When they start with "Stacie, we're buying you a ticket to Nashville for October," I know it's time to say something.)

One thing I'm going to do: when it comes time in July, tell them that you got in off a waitlist and weren't expecting to even be going.

It's tough - I've been in my job for 6 years now, and have had a foot out the door for months. 

My suggestion: just try and regain your focus - do something to take some initiative at work.  Show an interest in your career.  Don't give them anything to talk about.  Although it's disingenuous, it will keep the paychecks coming until you depart, and it will reduce suspicion.  Good luck.

Momo09

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 02:39:15 PM »
My boss knew I was headed for LAw School since November.  Heck the last time he asked me to do something I really didn't feel like doing, he said "I know you don't give a sh*t because you're off to Law School....."

Long story short, I did give a sh*t then but I don't now.  Since I can't get fired and I have to be here till June....  I'll killing time.

joespecial

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 02:42:15 PM »

I am in the exact same boat (I guess a lot of us are) and it is driving me batty. I am so ready to be out of here. But I can't tell yet since I have a feeling they would take back the quarterly bonus they just gave me. I need to give the bonus like 2 weeks to settle into my account so they won't be assh*les and take it back. Sad, huh.

Basically you need to maintain discipline and keep your mouth shut until it's time to tell. Don't tell just to "get it off your chest" because you may sabotage yourself.

stc34

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 03:04:45 PM »
anybody leaving a job early because of LS? As in, leaving a job where they expected you'd stay longer because you haven't been there very long? In the end I'll have been at mine for only 6 months.  How bad should I feel about this?

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 05:48:15 PM »
how bad would they feel about you if they no longer needed you and had to let you go?

i wouldnt worry about it...after years and years of being in the workforce I have discovered that noone is gonna look out for you so you have to do it yourself.  you are your #1 priority and you should not feel guilty about taking the step you feel is right for you - whether you have been there 2 days, 6 months, or 10yrs.  they will survive and as long as you are honest with them and professional when it comes time to leave it will all be ok.

SplitFinger

• I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 08:16:54 PM »
Amen to that.

I'm leaving in mid-June, but nobody who cares knows it yet.  I plan to cushion the blow by offering to work remotely for the rest of the summer (no reason I can't, I don't have anyone working under me at the moment), which seems like a no-lose proposition to me.  Either they turn me down, which leaves me in the same situation I'll be in anyway, or I get to work from home for two months, which would beat the hell out of dragging my sorry tail into the office every day, hands down.  :)

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 08:28:20 PM »
I'm surprised no one's said that to me yet.  My boss has known I'm leaving for the past nine months (needed him to write the recommendation)... and I've been totally scattered at work lately, which is not like me.

I think the problem is that my head--not my feet--is already out the door  ;)