• View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Posters who've shortened their names
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2006, 10:59:00 AM »
Awww.

redemption

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2006, 11:03:45 AM »
Red: It is cool, especially since I managed to convince the dpt. to let me do it (it took some finagling). It's just nervewracking, because if it goes badly I have no one else to blame.

I know what you mean. It's a great way to end UG, though.

veg

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2006, 11:05:04 AM »
you should just cuss out all the profs you didn't like and say "@#!* y'all, i'm goin' to yale."

or not, because that'd be as far from your personality as i can imagine. but you have to admit it'd shock them.

curly

• I'm sexy
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2006, 11:09:23 AM »
you should just cuss out all the profs you didn't like and say "@#!* y'all, i'm goin' to yale."

or not, because that'd be as far from your personality as i can imagine. but you have to admit it'd shock them.

The looks on their faces would be pretty priceless.  :D

HippieLawChick

• Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2006, 11:54:30 AM »
Red: It is cool, especially since I managed to convince the dpt. to let me do it (it took some finagling). It's just nervewracking, because if it goes badly I have no one else to blame.

Dorian: That kind of faith in me is both inspiring and terrifying. I'm kind of afraid that all my friends think the same thing, and when it's all done they'll be like "ummm...well....It was really good!!" *forced smile*

Anyway, it's probably just jitters. It'll all be over on Saturday anyway.
Let us know how it goes.  I am sure it will be terrific!   

cyberrev

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2006, 01:37:27 PM »

or send an invitation:

in honor of my acceptance to yale law school, i will be hosting a reception at _________.

during this time, you are cordially invited to go @#!* yourself.

chidochido

• Rebuilding
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sapotauro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2006, 01:43:55 PM »
I used to be chidochidochidochido... :D

Lily Jaye

• A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2006, 02:35:42 PM »
I hope it goes well, Curly. (Or should I just start calling you C?)

Also, mine was originally Winter Lily.  I'm so used to Lily being taken that I didn't even think to try it.

veg

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2006, 02:39:01 PM »
Red--I think vegemitemama was just what she named that account right before deleting it. I don't think she ever actively posted under that name, so I didn't use it, but I'll add it.

No, that was the name I originally registered my account to. That's what happens when you delete, your account and all your posts revert to what your name was originally.
I went from vegemitemama to vegemite to veg.
-V.

curly

• I'm sexy
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2006, 03:29:17 PM »

or send an invitation:

in honor of my acceptance to yale law school, i will be hosting a reception at _________.

during this time, you are cordially invited to go @#!* yourself.

I just had to tell you all this, primarily because you're my greatest venting mechanism:

First, a little background. The head of my dpt. is a man I admire very much; he is a gifted director and a fantastic actor, even though he abandoned the stage a long time ago. However, he is quite temperamental (artists ::)) and thinks very highly of himself. I've never had any problems with him, and he's always been quite cordial to me, even though I've watched him reduce many people to tears and he's offered constructive-bordering-on-harsh criticism from time to time. He's also my adviser. We've never been close, and I'm certainly a lot closer to the other faculty members in the dpt. (we're all on a first name basis, they have me over to their houses a lot, two of them are advising this showcase thing, etc.). Now, this guy is supposed to advise me on my thesis, but he took a sabbatical this year so he hasn't been around much. I asked him to be my adviser for this final showcase thing, and he said he was too busy. I talked to him about it last term when it was in the planning stages, and he offered some advice. Since then, he hasn't bothered to ask/comment about it at all, except to warn me at the beginning that I shouldn't take up too many dpt. resources or too much of the faculty's time, since they're busy with more important things ( :-\).

Now, since my dpt. is very informal and this whole "showcase" thing was my idea (it's not a formal class--it's an Independent Study, and past independent studies have been very informal and never performance oriented), I thought I'd just send a mass email to everyone I wanted to come, including this gentleman. As I was coming out of rehearsal today, he stopped me in the parking lot and we had the following exchange:

Him: "Are you doing a performance thing this Saturday?"
Me: "Yes"
Him: "A one-woman show?"
Me: "Well, it's got a couple of other people in it..."
Him: "And this is for an Independent Study?"
Me: (weirded out, because he should know all this) "Yes..."
Him: "Well, I just wanted to let you know how offended I am that you thought it was appropriate to invite me as part of a mass email. When people want me to attend these types of projects, they invite me personally, or send a card or at least an individual email. Obviously this makes me feel unimportant."
Me: (thinking: I don't really care if you come...and the rest of the faculty that I DO want to be there is already going to be there, you haven't really seemed very interested in me the past few years, so..) "I'm sorry, I apologize."
Him: "I don't want you to apologize. It's just that you should understand how this works. In 30 years of teaching this has never happened to me before. And teachers in law school are going to be even more sensitive to this."

The conversation continued with me crying out of frustration and hurt (you have to understand, this man has the ability to make you feel like a wretched human being with very little words, and it was so unexpected--I was thinking he was going to ask me how things were going and tell me he was looking forward to it, like my other professors). I know, I know, bad move, but it's just annoying that he feels he has the right to tell me what's offensive to him when he's barely had time to say two words to me my entire senior year, and when he could have asked me about the project at ANY TIME IN THE PAST 12 weeks and didn't bother. Blah. I'm probably in the wrong and just feeling angry at myself (I probably should have invited him personally), but I really didn't appreciate the way he told me all this...

Well, writing it all down helped. I should probably write him some kind of note. We'll see.