Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law Professors Ban Laptops In Class  (Read 617 times)

joespecial

Law Professors Ban Laptops In Class
« on: May 03, 2006, 06:32:55 PM »

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
Re: Law Professors Ban Laptops In Class
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 08:00:42 PM »
It's a bit paternalistic for my taste.  If a student (who is presumably paying through the nose to attend these classes) insists on goofing off on the net instead of paying attention to what is going on in class, then why is anyone else besides him worried about it?  The way I see it, that's his problem.  And since somebody has to be at the bottom of the curve, it might as well be him.  ;)  It's his time and money to waste.
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

George Jefferson²

• Sr. Citizen
  • Suck on my salty chocolate balls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 08:04:34 PM »
This matters: "inhibiting classroom debate."
Put 'em in yo mouth!

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 08:11:21 PM »

I am skeptical of this assertion.  From what I have seen, good professors have no problem whatever getting students to speak up and make good arguments on any side of the issue, no matter what class it is.  If a professor finds that his class isn't engaged, if they're not paying attention, if they are so bored that they must resort to internet poker, then chances are, in my experience, it's not the fault of the laptops: it's because the professor has failed in his presentation.  Most would be better served by directing their efforts inward, and asking themselves how they could make a more effective, more interesting presentation about the subject matter, rather than look for some scapegoat.  I doubt that banning laptops doesn't address the underlying problem.
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

George Jefferson²

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 08:14:11 PM »

I am skeptical of this assertion.  From what I have seen, good professors have no problem whatever getting students to speak up and make good arguments on any side of the issue, no matter what class it is.  If a professor finds that his class isn't engaged, if they're not paying attention, if they are so bored that they must resort to internet poker, then chances are, in my experience, it's not the fault of the laptops: it's because the professor has failed in his presentation.  Most would be better served by directing their efforts inward, and asking themselves how they could make a more effective, more interesting presentation about the subject matter, rather than look for some scapegoat.  I doubt that banning laptops doesn't address the underlying problem.

* George Jefferson² opens laptop
Put 'em in yo mouth!

Ever

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 09:51:18 PM »

* George Jefferson² opens laptop

Classic.

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 11:06:13 PM »
It's a little bit subtle, but I'm thinking that just *might* be the funniest thing I've ever read on LSD.  Well done, GJ2!
Emory '09

LSN

George Jefferson²

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 11:46:15 PM »
Does this mean the GJ² / Lacoste ticket has your vote in '08?
Put 'em in yo mouth!

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 11:53:04 PM »
Sure, why not.  Thanks to the Electoral College, my vote for President has never counted yet*.

(*  I voted in Florida in 2000, so one can argue that it should have, but didn't.)
Emory '09

LSN