Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Favorite Quotations  (Read 9540 times)

SouthSide

• Sr. Citizen
  • Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Quotations
« Reply #110 on: May 16, 2006, 05:57:36 AM »
"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."

-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Columbia 2L.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: May 16, 2006, 06:14:34 AM »
Man, I looked so hard for that particular quotation for my high school yearbook, but I just couldn't find it.  Thanks for busting that one out.  hahahhahaha

Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 16, 2006, 08:08:28 AM »
its groin grabbinly good

- Homer Simpson
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

redemption

« Reply #113 on: May 20, 2006, 12:17:14 PM »
To my Progressive friends, because you exasperate me:

"We are told over and over again that Lacan has shown human desire to be inherently unsatisfiable, that Derrida has shown meaning to be undecidable, that Lyotard has shown commensuration between oppressed and oppressors to be impossible, and events such as the Holocaust or the massacre of the original Americans are unrepresentable. Hopelessness has become fashionable on the Left - principled, theorized, philosophical hopelessness

..We now have, among many American teachers and students, a spectatorial, disgusted, mocking Left, rather than a Left which dreams of achieving our country... This leads them to step back from their country and, as they say, ‘theorize it. It leads them to.. give cultural politics preference over real politics, and to mock the very idea that democratic institutions might once again be made to serve social justice. It leads them to prefer knowledge to hope."

ibroadrunr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #114 on: May 20, 2006, 12:29:41 PM »

"We are told over and over again that Lacan has shown human desire to be inherently unsatisfiable, that Derrida has shown meaning to be undecidable, that Lyotard has shown commensuration between oppressed and oppressors to be impossible, and events such as the Holocaust or the massacre of the original Americans are unrepresentable. Hopelessness has become fashionable on the Left - principled, theorized, philosophical hopelessness

..We now have, among many American teachers and students, a spectatorial, disgusted, mocking Left, rather than a Left which dreams of achieving our country... This leads them to step back from their country and, as they say, ‘theorize it. It leads them to.. give cultural politics preference over real politics, and to mock the very idea that democratic institutions might once again be made to serve social justice. It leads them to prefer knowledge to hope."

Nice.
Work, and a PT online MLIS.  Reapply down the line.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=ibroadrunr

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 20, 2006, 01:03:00 PM »

I just remembered to come check this out.  This is the one for me?  If it is, I hardly recognized myself in it. :D  I think you misunderstand my political commitments.  (I should add that I'm sure this is because I am incoherent and unclear; I'm not suggesting that this misunderstanding is any fault of your own.) 

But while we're talking about "cultural politics," don't you think it's just as much "cultural politics" to be concerned about the names other people give their children (or their consumer habits, or their kinship structures...) as it is to be concerned about the origins of homosexuality as a category?  I think so, and I think it is cultural politics of a much less progressive and democratic nature, to be honest.  But I do my work every day with hope, hope both for small-scale political changes and for overall structural shifts.  I don't think it really hurts much that I am also insistent on being precise (if not accurate ;)) about the instruction of desire, etc.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

redemption

« Reply #116 on: May 20, 2006, 01:20:43 PM »
I just remembered to come check this out.  This is the one for me?  If it is, I hardly recognized myself in it. :D  I think you misunderstand my political commitments.  (I should add that I'm sure this is because I am incoherent and unclear; I'm not suggesting that this misunderstanding is any fault of your own.) 

But while we're talking about "cultural politics," don't you think it's just as much "cultural politics" to be concerned about the names other people give their children (or their consumer habits, or their kinship structures...) as it is to be concerned about the origins of homosexuality as a category?  I think so, and I think it is cultural politics of a much less progressive and democratic nature, to be honest.  But I do my work every day with hope, hope both for small-scale political changes and for overall structural shifts.  I don't think it really hurts much that I am also insistent on being precise (if not accurate ;)) about the instruction of desire, etc.

This one wasn't so much for you Miss P: I have another one that will fit you better.

It is instead aimed at persuading those of us who dream of taking over the English Department and the Legal academy, instead of taking over the Government and the community-based organization.  :)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 20, 2006, 01:25:02 PM »
This one wasn't so much for you Miss P: I have another one that will fit you better.

It is instead aimed at persuading those of us who dream of taking over the English Department and the Legal academy, instead of taking over the Government and the community-based organization.  :)

I'll look forward to seeing it, then!  I'm quite the narcissist, you see.  :D

But I'm definitely with you on the real politics angle.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

fatchance

• take a chance with me
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 20, 2006, 02:27:31 PM »
This one is not meant to be inflammatory, it is just sometimes funny and always interseting but a bit long. The quote is from english journalist Steve Turner.

We believe in Marxfreudananddarwin
We believe everything is OK
as long as you dont hurt anyone,
to the best of your definition of hurt,
and to the best of your knowledge.

We believe in sex before, during, and
after marriage.
We believe in the therapy of sin.
We believe adultery is fun.
We believe everything is OK.
We believe taboos are taboo

We believe everything is getting better
despite evidence to the contrary.
The evidence must be investigated
and you can prove anything with evidence.

We believe there's something in horoscopes,
UFO's and bent spoons;
Jesus was a good man just like Buddha,
Mohammed and ourselves.
He was a good moral teacher although we think
His good morals were bad.

We believe that all religions are basically the same-
at least the one we read was.
They all believe in love and goodness.
They only differ on matters of creation,
sin, heaven, hell. God, and salvation.

We believe that after death comes Nothing
because when you ask the dead what happens
they say nothing.
If death is not the end, if the dead have lied, then it's
compulsory heaven for all
except for perhaps
Hitler, Stalin and Ghengis Khan.

We believe in Masters and Johnson.
What's selected is average.
What's average is normal.
What's normal is good.

We believe in total disarmament.
We believe there are direct links between warfare and
bloodshed.
Americans should beat their guns into tractors
and the Russians would be sure to follow.

We believe that man is essentially good.
It's only his behavior that lets him down.
This is the fault of society.
Society is the fault of conditions.
Conditions are the fault of society.

We believe that each man must find the truth that is right for him.
Reality will adapt accordingly.
The universe will readjust.
History will alter.
We believe that there is no absolute truth
except the truth
that there is no absolute truth.

We believe in the rejection of creeds
and the flowering of individual thought.

some weird girl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hobbs I object!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - icyandcoldgirl
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 08, 2006, 04:19:59 AM »
“There is no such thing as an impartial jury because there are no impartial people. There are people that argue on the web for hours about who their favorite character on "Friends" is.” Jon Stewart
"The longer we dwell on our misfortunes the greater is their power to harm us." Voltaire