Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Favorite Quotations  (Read 9218 times)

ADM

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ninjasinpyjamas
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Quotations
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2006, 10:51:45 PM »
"If all that Americans want is security, they can go to prison. They’ll have enough to eat, a bed and a roof over their heads. But if an American wants to preserve his dignity and his equality as a human being, he must not bow his neck to any dictatorial government." Dwight D. Eisenhower.

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Sr. Citizen
  • Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 07, 2006, 10:02:06 AM »
"If all that Americans want is security, they can go to prison. They’ll have enough to eat, a bed and a roof over their heads. But if an American wants to preserve his dignity and his equality as a human being, he must not bow his neck to any dictatorial government." Dwight D. Eisenhower.

My favorite from him: "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed."

veg

« Reply #92 on: May 07, 2006, 10:18:07 AM »
"If you aspire to the highest place, it is no disgrace to stop at the second, or even the third, place."

"No one can speak well, unless he thoroughly understands his subject."

both from Cicero.

I've been reading far too much Latin.

Dante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 07, 2006, 10:23:18 AM »
The difference between those who are successful and those who are not is not a lack of knowledge, not a lack of strength, but rather a lack of will.

- Vince Lombardi

conoroberst

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: May 07, 2006, 11:50:34 AM »
"This is my body.  And I can do whatever I want to it.  I can push it. Study it. Tweak it. Listen to it.  Everybody wants to know what I'm on.  I'm on my bike busting my ass six hours a day.  What are you on?"
Lance Armstrong

veg

« Reply #95 on: May 07, 2006, 08:41:48 PM »
My favorite from him: "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed."

i thought it went: "Every feeding of a hungry person is a theft against soldiers, sailors, and airmen who are not armed." ??? ;)

:D :D :-\ :D

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #96 on: May 07, 2006, 09:45:12 PM »
I'm rather fond of Stan's new signature quote.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 07, 2006, 09:56:05 PM »
"Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius"  - Bishop Fulton Sheen.

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2006, 10:03:27 PM »
I made no more claim to him in his entirety than anyone quoting one aspect of Nietzsche would to all of his ideas.

I'm not asking you to stand by anything other than the quotation itself.  I just think you probably saw this quotation out of context and don't understand it, the author, or the work it discusses.  My guess is that you came across it either from Thomas Sowell directly, or by a fanboy posting in some other forum.

Anyway, the quotation is from Schumpeter's review of Kenyes' The General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money.  It was published in The Journal of the American Statistical Association 31(1936): No. 196, p 792-797

In this review, Schumpeter says many glowing things, including this: "That advice (everybody knows what it is Mr. Keynes advises) may be good.  For the England of today it probably is."  Followed by comments that it's essentially neo-Ricardian rubbish.  Which makes sense if you know Schumpeter.  Schumpeter then embarasses himself by essentially claiming that Keynes' creation of Aggregate Supply and Aggregate Demand are nonsense.  Oops Joe.

But really, what that article is all about is Schumpeter as statistician complaining about the generality of The General Theory and that Keynes was essentially writing statisticians out of the process.  Schumpeter would later argue the flaws of Kenyes's and Ricardo's static models of financial and argue for dynamism based off of more complicated mathemtaical models that could move beyond simpple ceteris paribus. He also thought Keynes' construction of some abstract "Propensity to Consume" was too etheral and couldn't be quantified.  Oops Joe redux.

And then we get to the concluding paragraph of the article, which is where your quotation appears.  The conclusion begins like this "The less said about the last book the better."  The last book, Book VI: Short Notes Suggested by the General Theory, is all that your quotation discusses.  Here Keynes talks mostly about high interest rates and propensity to save. 

Yes, your whole quote is from a statistics journal written by an econometrician referring to Keynes's few chapters on interest rates.  It has nothing to do with the rest of Keynes' work, which he remains fairly positive about (except when he just screws up).  Schumpeter's does dissent from the Keynesian position rather voicerously later in his career, but not in the way you seem to think and not to any significant extent.  It's mostly about the role of the entrepreneur in relation to the state (which still needs an active interventionist policy to handle business cycles).

So, when I said I didn't think you really got the quoation, that's what I meant.

redemption

« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2006, 05:25:32 PM »
Good explanation, Spaulding. My guess is that the secondary source was Sowell.