Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Moussaoui gets life  (Read 925 times)

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
Re: Moussaoui gets life
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2006, 04:44:59 PM »
You've got to be f-in' kidding me.  I think he's just trying to get as much publicity as possible for himself before he's hidden away in a prison somewhere and becomes the object of constant torture and humiliation for the rest of his miserable life. 

I'm not a huge death penalty fan myself, but to me this seems like the kind of case the death penalty was made for.  Do you think that it's possible the jurors thought he deserved the death penalty, but chose to give him life because they realized he was hoping to be martyred?

I don't know, but it definitely smells like the jury was trying to "split the difference" in some way (maybe they didn't really buy the government's case on causation, for example, but couldn't bring themselves to acquit because of the sybolic importance of convicting the ONLY GUY ever charged with a crime in relation to 9/11), and it comes out looking more than a little suspicious.
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

joespecial

Re: Moussaoui gets life
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2006, 05:56:40 PM »
Thinking about this more, I think the jury made the right decision. It lets all the air out of Moussaui's martyr pose and shows we are morally above "them."

Plus, after reading some articles about Supermax, it's gratifying to think he will be living in there the rest of his life:

The Slow Rot at Supermax (L.A. Times)