Law School Discussion

HOFSTRA

Law-Man

• In case LS doesn't work out... thank you "Duck"
    • View Profile
Re: HOFSTRA
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2006, 06:44:35 AM »
I've already sent in my deposit to NYLS.  I'm going to send in my deposit to Hofstra too.  I'll visit both and try to make a decision.  I love most of the things about Hofstra, but I want to live in city.  Perhaps I can sacrifice city living for a Hofstra education.  

You don't really have to sacrifice; if you live on LI it is a 35-40 min train ride into Midtown Manhattan, and if you live in the city it is a 35-40 min train ride (good study time) to Hempstead. Either way you win.

My wife and I live in the Bronx and we are not moving to LI just for school, so I'll either be driving or taking the train to school, no big deal.

I also was choosing between Hofstra and NYLS and I just think that Hofstra (even though it is on LI) has better a better reputation, and Alumni network, which will help when looking for a job. Hofstra is also cheaper and it has better facilities, and it just seems more freindly.

« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2006, 07:08:28 AM »
Thanks Law-Man.  You are right about the friendliness factor.  There are so many nice people on this board.  Also, the faculty and the reputation of the school are two definite pros for Hofstra.  It's nice to get the perspective of someone commuting from the city. 

Law-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2006, 09:58:39 AM »
I'll even be super nice, if you live close enough to me in the city, and I end up driving, you can catch a ride with me.

Kittyl30

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2006, 10:07:24 AM »
I've already sent in my deposit to NYLS.  I'm going to send in my deposit to Hofstra too.  I'll visit both and try to make a decision.  I love most of the things about Hofstra, but I want to live in city.  Perhaps I can sacrifice city living for a Hofstra education.  

i really think the diff between hofstra and NYLS in terms of prestige is very minimal..the two schools are extremly similar and i dont think NYLS is viewed in the law community as that much inferior...i think it would more boil down to which you got  a better feel for

my best friend's bro graduated from hofstra as did my cuz's best friend and a few other people i know...they all have decent jobs now and the bro is working in manhattan doing real estate law..making like 60k i think

the guy i know from NYLS has a much more prestigious job, clerking at a large fed court downtown. I dont know how much he makes but i know he works with NYU/columbia/bklyn/dozo grads.  but he was also topo of his class. i dont konw wher ethe hofstra people fell in in their rankings

« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2006, 10:09:23 AM »
Thanks Suzie,

There may be hope for law school this year yet.  However, I still need to visit the schools before I make any definitive decisions. 

« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2006, 10:15:26 AM »
Dok are you PT or FT?

PT Day for me.  You?

Law-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2006, 10:37:04 AM »

« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2006, 10:38:25 AM »
I will be FT as well. 

« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2006, 12:25:46 PM »
Unfortunately, I'm going to have to support myself financially, hence the need to attend PT.  I may attend FT the following year.  It all depends on the money situation.

Law-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2006, 08:42:02 AM »
It seems like there are alot of us around already, anyone want to have a pre-orientation get together?