Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: i cant take this suspense.  (Read 4021 times)

melissa2781

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
i cant take this suspense.
« on: January 27, 2004, 10:25:49 AM »
I got a big thick letter from seattle yesterday, and i almost threw up i was so nervous openening it.  I thought, this is it, this is my first acceptance letter.  It fit all the stereo typical charecteristics of an acceptance letter: 8X11, thick, buldging out of the mailbox screaming : IM HERE :)

But it was jsut a financial aid application.

I cant take this suspense!  I hate the idea that the fate of the rest of my life lays in the hands of people who have never met and dont TRULEY know how amazing i would be as part of their student body.  ughh.

does anyone else have these suspense and anxiety problems over waiting to here if they've gotten in?
**The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams ~ Eleanor Roosevelt**

kattiewitch

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: i cant take this suspense.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2004, 06:40:00 PM »
I totally have the same anxiety.  I applied to six schools and have heard from two in the last week, both acceptance, but nothing from the others yet.  One of the schools offered me substantial aid, but it's tier 3 and not my first choice.  So, I'm totally obsessed with the mail.  Try to think of other things . . . and focus on where you applied that you're sure you'll get in.  Read their website and get excited.
Best of luck!
Let me know how it turns out.

Ithacabomber

• Place Personal Text Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2004, 07:30:54 PM »
Melissa I hear ya about that thick fin aid letter...it was from Syracuse wasnt it...I got it too. I also got reject letter from Univ of Buff today PLEASE COMMENT what was your UGPA and LSAT
thanks

bobfett33

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2004, 01:00:05 AM »
Melissa and Kattie, we're in the same boat.  I'm expecting to hear from Chicago-Kent about whether I've been accepted into their honors scholars program ($100,000 scholarship), and today I got mail from them.  To sound like an Orange County sorority girl, I was freaking out (on the inside).  It turned out just to be a "we just wanted to let you know that your application is complete" thing.  Dammit.

kattiewitch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2004, 07:15:46 AM »
I know, OSU keeps sending me informational emails.  Everytime I get one I hope it is news.  It never is.  I've heard from, been accepted at, and received aid offers from three schools, two tier 3's that I'm really not interested in, but I still haven't heard anything from my first choice.  I keep trying to be optimistic, but I'm starting to be concerned that the longer they take the less interested they are in me.

melissa2781

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2004, 02:15:01 PM »
Ithacabomber - my lsat is 150, my UGPA is 3.5, and YES, it was from syracuse! 

Still havnt heard a thing from all 12 schools i applied to.

the suspense is making me sick to my stomach.
**The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams ~ Eleanor Roosevelt**

Ithacabomber

• Place Personal Text Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2004, 05:55:08 PM »
Melissa,
I have a 3.4 GPA and got a 141 on the LSAT...horrible I know...but will it get the job done? I dont care where I go, I just want to go to law school. I have a very unique background (financially ind at age 16) and just dont take stand test well. My resume is strong however: Internships at House of Parliament, Legal Aid Office and Law Firm. Will this help me? By the way got a reject letter from Univ Buff yesterday. Thank you for your support!

David Bakody

• LSAT 151 GPA 3.53
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2004, 07:23:28 PM »
If you are not picky about law schools - Your 141 LSAT and 3.4 GPA stand a fair chance of getting you into Thomas Cooley in Michigan.  Have you considered applying to that school?  Also, I think your numbers might work for Thurgood Marshall in Texas.

You might also consider exploring some non-ABA law schools.  I think this is better than forgetting about law school outright, but a fair number of people will probably disagree.

Two non-ABA law schools I considered in the northeast:

http://www.mslaw.edu/

and

http://www.snesl.edu/newsite/Index1.html

MSLAW doesn't use the LSAT and they will also interview you, possibly in person depending upon your location.  Keep in mind that graduating from a non-ABA school can limit your career options, but for a lot of people stuck with low LSAT scores it's an option.

kattiewitch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2004, 08:11:50 PM »
Ithaca-you might try Widner in Harrisburg, PA.
Melissa-I'm feeling your pain.  I applied to six, have heard from three, got aid offers from three, and am waiting to hear from my first choice.  It's killing me!  Have you called admissions from these 12 schools to see how long they anticipate making you wait?

melissa2781

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2004, 11:08:34 AM »
Ithaca - i agree with David Bakody about thomas cooley college in michigan.  If you read back on previous posts on this board, you will see taht there are some very passionate arguments in favor of thomas cooley.  Also, widener, like kattiewitch mentioned, is also a school you should definetly look into.   If, by chance, you do decide to go with a non aba approved school, which i suggest you think long and hard about before you decide, i recomend looking into la verne law school in ontario california.  I have heard such great things about this school, and if they get their approval they are expected to quickly rise in the rankings of law school.  BUT.... think about what it would be like if they DIDNT get their approval.... you would be stuck practicing in california.... and from the looks of where you are applying i am assuming you are from the NY, NJ area?  I am from NJ..... and i know in my heart that i wouldnt be happy knowing id never be able to come back home and practice...... but thats just me.

kattiewitch - i have been hesitant to call these schools because i dont want to be labeled as "that girl" who calls the admissions office and pesters them about the applications.   Someone told me that they write down every correspondence they have with applicants, and... for example.... i already emailed denver law school w/ questions about their school AND called them to make sure they recieved my application because im so anxious.... i dont want to make the situation worse for myself by calling again to find out when I'll know for sure.... they seemed a little annoyed when i called.  the girl responded "oh, i recognize your name, i just responded to your email i think".... so i want to tread lightly :)
~which schools did u get into and which are the three you are waiting to hear from?