joespecial

« on: May 02, 2006, 07:01:24 PM »

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bush: I Remake the Law as I See Fit
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 01:22:35 AM »
I am glad I took con law this year, that will probably be a separation of powers question next year.
From a con law perspective its a bit dubious, but from another standpoint its good politics.  And even if he didn't bother to write "signing statements" the executive branch would still have lots of influence on how the bill was adminstered.  I think if you a normal person (and Bush is) and you have a point of view and you have the power to implement that point of view, and you can do so quietly without causing trouble for yourself, you are going to do that.  I don't think the long term big picture consequences of this are that important, this is just the give and take of everyday politics.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 08:24:41 AM »
worst...president...ever.

redemption

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 08:27:56 AM »
Yes. I think so. The worst.

ibroadrunr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 09:11:30 AM »
while i am forbidden by law from commenting on this issue, i would just like to point out that this is, in fact, the NEWS thread.

:D
Work, and a PT online MLIS.  Reapply down the line.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=ibroadrunr

the_red_dragon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 09:26:27 AM »
That is pretty cool, I didn't know the President could do that.  This makes me happy. 

cyberrev

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 09:33:02 AM »
omg, he's a politician!  he doesnt keep his promises!  what a news flash that is.

remakes the law as he sees fit, just like the supreme court.

bah.

@#!* all of 'em

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 11:51:44 AM »
omg, he's a politician!  he doesnt keep his promises!  what a news flash that is.

remakes the law as he sees fit, just like the supreme court.

bah.

@#!* all of em

Good point, I have a few friends in the federalist society here and I keep trying to explain to them why it is not such a bad thing if the Supreme Court influences the law and has a small policy making role.  I acknowledge that there is a bit of a spparation of powers issue, but that it is mostly about having power and using it and that it shouldn't be viewed as a constitutional problem, but as a everyday poltics thing.  I think this is closely analogous.  From a formalist perspective Bush is overstepping, from a functionalist perspective he probably is overstepping though its a closer question, but from a political perspective he dancing around not to step on people's shoes and insult them, he allows people moral victories, while interpreting the legislation he doesn't like in the most narrow light, and that is good politics and to some degree that overrides any constitutional problems with what he is doing.

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 11:52:26 AM »
I just find it interesting, because I was not aware that a President could strike items from laws that were passed by Congress, but I guess BushCo has figured out a way. Bush has basically granted himself the line-item veto by executive fiat.

Haha, it was only 6 or 7 years ago that the court struck down the line item veto as a violation of separation of powers.

Happy_Weasel

• LSD Obsessed
  • Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 04:48:33 PM »
Bush is a Sith. What do you expect?