Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Stupid stuff strangers, family and friends have said when told of your plans:  (Read 13641 times)

JenJ

• View Profile
I get lots of lawyer jokes that are rude and am told that I have to learn to deal with it. I am constantly put in a position where I feel some need to justify my decision because of the negative perceptions people have about lawyers. Even people who know me seem to think I am in it for the money at first. I also sometimes run into people who treat me like a trick pony and quiz me on legal and government issues. I just refuse to participate anymore and let people think what they want.

Oh, but my favorite was when I told a couple of people who know me, but not very well, and who went to law school themselves, that I was going to law school. I got youwant to go to lawschool?! Nice.

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
Tell them you are not inviting them to your catered pool parties (Hey, if they think you are going to be a rich lawyer, may as well get the benefits of that stereotype as much as the flack.)
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn

cejeff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I have a cousin who 3 years ago graduated from Columbia Law School. She has aggressively lobbied against me or anyone else going to law school. I asked her why and she said "Just go to business school, you'll make more money". And me being 31, nobody in my family really is enthused or actually cares that I will be going to law school.

losers..

mobo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
oooh oooh. i got one on my roadtrip across country.

when i said i was going to start law school, a hostel manager, on the late shift no less, very snarkily said to me...

"GREAT. that's just what we need. MORE women lawyers."

:o >:( :o >:(

cejeff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Can you sue someone for being exponentially stupid, mobo?

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email

Often you can; if you just wait long enough they will do something actionable.
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn

greengrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

Often you can; if you just wait long enough they will do something actionable.

Hysterical. I might have been tempted to make a very mean snarky comment to aforementioned hostel worker if it were late and i was tired enough.

this thread makes me so thankful for my mom--for some reason I keep messing up and she keeps believing that i'll be ok.

what little comfort it provides--i think the majority of life's nay-sayers are jealous--jealous b/c they don't have the courage to make such a difficult decision and jealous that they don't have enough faith in themselves to do what they REALLY want to be doing with their life. Some people are afraid that the people around them will be more successful and simply up and leave them behind. One of my best girlfriends has taken this attitude. She kept talking me out of school b/c of the debt and the risk and when I finally said "look, this is what i've wanted for a really long time and i'm doing it" she just simply started hanging out with other people. her reason? well, you're too busy getting ready for school and it's not like you'll have time for me next year anyway. If nothing else this experience might separate the ok from the good to the BEST in the friend department