Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Stupid stuff strangers, family and friends have said when told of your plans:  (Read 13697 times)

check01

Be constructive, such as by saying, "Mom, when you say things like 'lawyers are unhappy alcoholic bottom-feeders' I feel like you are being unsupportive of my dream to be a lawyer.

I would go more along the lines of:

"Mom, being in this family has already made me an unhappy alcoholic, and bottom-feeding is in my genes on the paternal side, being as Dad reproduced with you.  But nobody's paying me six figures to suffer as your offspring.  After a lifetime of practicing suffering, it's time for me to turn pro."

Then I would explain that the real bottom-feeders will be the Caribbean-trained "doctors" that will be taking care of her when I put her in that nursing home I saw on Dateline NBC.

YMMV.

mobo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Be constructive, such as by saying, "Mom, when you say things like 'lawyers are unhappy alcoholic bottom-feeders' I feel like you are being unsupportive of my dream to be a lawyer.

"Mom, being in this family has already made me an unhappy alcoholic, and bottom-feeding is in my genes on the paternal side, being as Dad reproduced with you.  But nobody's paying me six figures to suffer as your offspring.  After a lifetime of practicing suffering, it's time for me to turn pro."

Then I would explain that the real bottom-feeders will be the Caribbean-trained "doctors" that will be taking care of her when I put her in that nursing home I saw on Dateline NBC.

YMMV.

crying i am laughing so hard. omg. beautiful.

[what is ymmv?]

check01

[what is ymmv?]

Your Mileage May Vary.  It's shorthand for "this works for me, but it may or may not work for you."

mobo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
[what is ymmv?]

Your Mileage May Vary.  It's shorthand for "this works for me, but it may or may not work for you."

tyvvm

cbm_flyer

• not me or my family; feel bad for the dog, though
    • View Profile
    • LSN
The guy who drives my work shuttle said "I'm starting to feel chest pains already...Being around lawyers gives me chest pains"

Are you kidding?!?  You know, how many of us can say we've been insulted by our bus drivers?  Other than when we were in elementary/middle/early high school!  :)

Best wishes,
~Chris

decisiontime

• View Profile

YMMV.

Hahahaha. I haven't checked this thread in a while. OMG, I can't stop laughing. This is the best post I've read in a long time. You just made my day. 

tired3L

• View Profile
There are a few of the things that have been said to me:

"Do you have any idea how OLD you will be when you graduate?!" 

cyberrev

at 46, i hear that too.

my answer is "just as old as i'd be if i didn't graduate"

edit:  or, "no, i'm apparently intellegent enough to get into law school, but not enough to add 3 to my current age"

then give them a withering stare as if they drooled on your carpet or something

mobo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

or my version, which is...

"law school...wow. so when you graduate you'll be....wow."

:D

dbmuell

• View Profile
    • Email
I got a good one the other day...

Having spent the better part of the last month with my face crammed in my LSAT prep books, I was out to dinner with my GF the other day and we got into some inane debate about some political issue.  After awhile, she got really sullen and pissed off looking and, when I asked what was wrong, she said "are you using your law school stuff on me?"  I was kind of stunned and gave the usual "what are you talking about?" that us men use to exacerbate an already bad situation.  "Well, you've been studying all that law school stuff.  Are you using what you've been learning to practice or something or make me feel dumb?" 

I really did not know how to explain to her that my time spent working on logic puzzles has nothing to do with being a pompous a-hole...that's something you're born with  :P