Law School Discussion

Stupid stuff strangers, family and friends have said when told of your plans:

mobo

• View Profile
Mobo, thank you for the insight. I will try to stay positive no matter what. It's a good thing my husband is very supportive.

[/jump on soapbox]

always glad to share my experiences in the hopes that at the least they cause some laughter and at the most they actually help.

i think that law school will most likely strip down relationships to their true cores. there won't be time for the drama or the bull, and we will find out who is really important to us, and who "gets it" and can support us as well.

i have taken a really unusual life path to get to this point, and i have not yet encountered anyone who has done the same things that i have to get to law school, not even on this board. i feel even more on my own because i don't have an SO to back me up, which in some ways has forced me to be even clearer with myself on what i am doing and why.

people ask me what keeps me going in the face of not having mentors or precedents...i get reenergized every time i talk about where i am going and what i have done so far to convert my plans to reality. i reconnect with the real reasons i am doing all this, and there is a "click" of synchronization between my heart and head and stomach. and that click can bring comfort and confidence in the face of an awful lot of doubters.

being able to articulate clearly, for myself, why i am doing this, has been a key part of staying motivated. (plus i had to make up something for my application essays.)

[/jump off soapbox]

sorry guys. don't know where all that came from. must be the excitement of coming back to the us this weekend. the idea of water i can drink from the tap and spicy food and not having to sleep under a mosquito net has gone RIGHT to my head.

sorry guys. don't know where all that came from. must be the excitement of coming back to the us this weekend. the idea of water i can drink from the tap and spicy food and not having to sleep under a mosquito net has gone RIGHT to my head.

...and here's where I ask on behalf of all our curious readers, where were you that you were drinking spicy food? ;) :D

mobo

• View Profile

...and here's where I ask on behalf of all our curious readers, where were you that you were drinking spicy food? ;) :D

??? :o  >:( ;D ;D ;D

how funny! must.not.post.when.tired....

i am 24 hours away from finishing a six month stay in the lovely, miserable, dangerous, ugly, underdeveloped, and did i mention dangerous, country of el salvador. with a side vacation trip to guatemala.

EDIT: you should have heard the stupid stuff strangers, family and friends have said when told of my plans to come HERE...

My other sister, who's doing undergrad law at Oxford, and didn't understand little things like law not being an undergrad in the states:
"Oh for god's sake!  Find your own career!  If you'd wanted to do it, you should have done it as your first degree!  Why don't you just go into human resources somewhere?"

Wow! That is super-bitchy! I have to say, the "Why not human resources" part made me laugh, though! That's like telling someone you want to be a psychiatrist and they ask you why don't you just be a camp counselor...

Anyway, none of the reasons your relatives have offered are even relevant to YOUR life, so at least they shouldn't cause you any serious doubts. I imagine it's maddening to get those responses, though. I am lucky that my family is very supportive of this choice for me--my parents are actually ecstatic about it, because they think I'm finally going to "use my intelligence" for something that can actually both adequately support me financially and potentially get some good things done in the world (as opposed to other of my endeavors that only TRIED to get something good done in the world).
Also, most of my family remains very idealistic about the law, unlike I think the majority of Americans. Both my aunt and uncle are successful environmental lawyers, and my brother, who will be starting his 3L year at HLS, will most likely end up doing appellate litigation and becoming a law professor. The only negativity I've gotten from in the family is from my cousin, who is currently a lawyer and hates it. But he made very specific choices, pretty much only because of money even though he was fortunate enough to graduate from both undergrad and law school with NO debt, that I am not likely to make. He basically does the kind of law that I find the MOST boring (pure corporate, like hedge funds and M&A)--and apparently he does as well, but he also won't change, so...
I think the funniest thing I've heard (and this in in the last week) has been:

friend: "why would you choose Michigan over GEORGETOWN?? I mean, Georgetown is so much BETTER!"
me: "well, actually, that's not true. If you want to talk about rank, Michigan is actually ranked higher."
friend: "are you sure? I really thought Georgetown was better..."
me: "well, I think Michigan is a better place for me, personally."
 :D

that isn't funny at all

by virtue of being unfunny, your place amongst the incoming michigan class has just been forfeited

sorry

:D

I really like this thread, makes me realise I'm not alone. Seriously, how do you guys deal with the negativity especially from close family. I think that's what hurts the most. I guess I can't expect them to be supportive all the time. I'm an optimistic person (I try) but once in a while it gets to me. Is there another of dealing with family in another way (except for the "smart-ass" response?

aerynn

• Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • Email
For family members you care about, I would just point out that their negativity is bothering you.  Be constructive, such as by saying, "Mom, when you say things like 'lawyers are unhappy alcoholic bottom-feeders' I feel like you are being unsupportive of my dream to be a lawyer.  I want to BLAH BLAH BLAH with my law degree and it would mean a lot if you could be supportive of that."

For those that you don't care about, I would (and do) ignore them.

Course, that's easier said than done.

I tried being constructive with my close family members that I care about but they're still negative. For the last few weeks, I just don't bring it up and quickly change the topic when they bring it up but some of them just keep pressing for answers to their questions and then when I open my mouth they get negative. Next time, I'll just ask them not to ask me any questions about law school until they can see the glass as half full. Thanks for the response.

aerynn

• Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Do you have something specific that you are thinking of?  Even if I can't think of a helpful advice, it may make you feel better to share. :)

mobo

• View Profile
direct them to this thread.

if they read it and don't change their behaviour immediately, revert to smart ass answers.

(that sounds a little smart ass on my part, but i think it would actually work.

"dear [insensitive closed minded narrow visioned relative], there is a link i want you to read, it'll only take a few minutes..."