Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: where are you Canadians?  (Read 3358 times)

darren

• Sr. Citizen
  • Nader / Camejo 2004
    • View Profile
where are you Canadians?
« on: August 09, 2004, 06:40:33 PM »
we've got this whole special section of LSD and we don't even use it!  i know you hosers are out there, it can't just be cheeks and me.

are you applying only to canada, only the US, or both?  what schools?  where do you want to end up after law school?  so many questions!
GPA - 3.55 Overall, 3.75 Last 3 Years
LSAT - 169,171 on Timed Practice Tests

pidge

• View Profile
Re: where are you Canadians?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 07:51:11 PM »
I'm Canadian... going to school in the US. Don't know what I'll do when it's done. My husband is down here working right now, although he's Canadian as well.

I'd move back to Canada, but have read that the Canadians are not too welcoming to US law degrees, in Ontario anyways. Depending on how many hoops I'd have to jump through, I might move back.

How about you?

darren

• Sr. Citizen
  • Nader / Camejo 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 07:55:35 PM »
I haven't decided where to apply yet (I'm applying for Sept '06) but most likely Canada and the US.  Eventually I'd like to come back to Canada.

As for US degrees in Canada, I think that really depends where you go in the US.  The impression in Canada seems to be that there is a pretty wide disparity between the top US schools and the bottom ones, whereas the quality of schools in Canada doesn't vary nearly as much.  I definitely think any top 25 law school in the US couldn't hurt you in Canada, and a well-known one would probably be beneficial.  All you have to do is a bit of extra work to pass the bar exam wherever you go.
GPA - 3.55 Overall, 3.75 Last 3 Years
LSAT - 169,171 on Timed Practice Tests

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 09:19:44 PM »
I don't know about that darren.

You have to consider the reputation in Canada of both the top US and Canadian schools.  In Canada, yes, Harvard would be considered a better school then U of T.  But a school like Duke or Michigan, I would say U of T would have a better rep in Canada.  And a better rep would probably mean a better chance of you getting a Canadian job after graduation.

Anyways, I'm going to school in the states and will be practicing there as well hopefully so whatever.   

Silversoma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Me at Radiohead- Thunderbird Stadium, August/03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 10:18:27 PM »
I'm Canadian, born and raised in Calgary.

I plan to study in Canada and pretty much stay in Canada... I'm applying to UofA, UBC, UofC, and UVic because I am interested in both environmental law and the petroleum industry, so it only makes sense to stay in Western Canada.

Oh, and I'm not even applying until next year...  ;D
Practice LSATs so far: 156 155 157 155 157 161 162 161 155 155 160 164 166 161 170 166 168 160 163 162 172

LSAT's finished... I don't have to think about law school for a year now.
********* GO Team Canada GO!!!!! ***********

Silversoma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Me at Radiohead- Thunderbird Stadium, August/03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2004, 10:21:02 PM »
Here's a question for the Canadians...

Who went to SARStock last year?  I so wish I could have been there...
Practice LSATs so far: 156 155 157 155 157 161 162 161 155 155 160 164 166 161 170 166 168 160 163 162 172

LSAT's finished... I don't have to think about law school for a year now.
********* GO Team Canada GO!!!!! ***********

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2004, 10:24:25 PM »
Calgary's a cool place.  been there twice (edmonton once).  used to have a girlfriend from there.  Plus cowboys is the coolest place EVER! ...

and i didn't go to SARStock ... didn't wanna get sick (just kidding)

thinknpositive

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2004, 10:58:13 PM »
how sad are you guys going to be with no NHL this year?

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2004, 11:00:20 PM »
seriously! .. you're a hockey player right Thinknpositive?

Anyways, I think there will be a season.  Too much is at stake.

go leafs go!  (but eddie's hurt and can't play in the world cup  :'()

thinknpositive

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2004, 11:11:05 PM »
seriously! .. you're a hockey player right Thinknpositive?

Anyways, I think there will be a season.  Too much is at stake.

go leafs go!  (but eddie's hurt and can't play in the world cup  :'()

Yeah man, hockey is the greatest sport on earth.  It doesn't seem like any progress is being made with the CBA.  The owners pretty much have all the bargaining power.  I think you're right though, there will be a season, but I highly doubt it will start on time.  The players will have to fold eventually.

Leafs fan huh?  How do you feel about the hated Sens getting rid of LaLAME and picking up Hasek?  I think if there is a season next year, it's all Sens.   Me, I'm a Flyers fan, but they stink. (Though good enough to eliminate your leafs two post-seasons in a row)