Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LS this fall or defer a year to practice my English?  (Read 620 times)

lulu

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: LS this fall or defer a year to practice my English?
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 04:50:12 AM »
Oh, I see, then I will take my courage to be an English bandit and then become one you hate. ::)

Just kidding, Thanks for your help.I will try my best.

CLS09

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2006, 05:42:12 PM »
This is a tough one.  Law school is all about reading (tons of it) and writing, and a lot of the reading contains very complicated language and ideas which I would think you would need to be fluent in English to understand.  But a 172 on the LSAT means you must understand English pretty well.

If you understand English better than you speak it or write it, I wouldn't worry too much.  I don't think any professor is going to downgrade a non-native speaker for grammar and spelling errors, but they will downgrade you if you don't get the ideas, and/or can't get your own ideas across in writing.  Why don't you get hold of a Contracts or Property book from a US law school and try reading it, to see how well you understand?  Good luck!

BTK

• Sr. Citizen
  • This is what democracy looks like!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2006, 06:31:47 PM »
This is a tough one.  Law school is all about reading (tons of it) and writing, and a lot of the reading contains very complicated language and ideas which I would think you would need to be fluent in English to understand.  But a 172 on the LSAT means you must understand English pretty well.

If you understand English better than you speak it or write it, I wouldn't worry too much.  I don't think any professor is going to downgrade a non-native speaker for grammar and spelling errors, but they will downgrade you if you don't get the ideas, and/or can't get your own ideas across in writing.  Why don't you get hold of a Contracts or Property book from a US law school and try reading it, to see how well you understand?  Good luck!

dukenukem

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2006, 06:41:46 PM »
welcome to america, where would you like your social security check sent?  oh and enjoy our complimentary healthcare and continental breakfast.

rider06

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2006, 10:19:26 PM »
welcome to america, where would you like your social security check sent?  oh and enjoy our complimentary healthcare and continental breakfast.

since when is there complimentary healthcare?  i was born here and i dont get that

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2006, 10:30:15 PM »
Lulu- have you tried finding a native speaking friend who you can email or send text messages to? It's not really advanced writing, but it will get you used to expressing your ideas through writing and help you see natural English when your friend responds. I lived in Japan for 2 years and learned a lot just by writing Japanese text messages everyday and reading the responses. Good luck!

misery

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2006, 03:25:09 PM »
I think you'll be fine... there are plenty of foreign LLMs at law schools (especially top ones) too.  Granted, I don't know if they compete directly with JDs, but professors will understand that English isn't your first language. 

icf

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2006, 05:17:46 PM »
also, once you actually get to the US, i'm sure that just being immersed in an English speaking environment will help you out so much in a few weeks.  The schools you got into read your personal statements so I would assume that they wouldn't accept you if they felt like your ability to write in English wasn't up to par.

good luck with whatever you decide.