Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: AA for Whites at Harvard?  (Read 2424 times)

dreamsdeferred

• View Profile
AA for Whites at Harvard?
« on: May 02, 2006, 03:33:25 AM »

SouthSide

• Sr. Citizen
  • Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
Re: AA for Whites at Harvard?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 05:18:18 AM »
More likely a Supreme Court Justice or something. Gee, sure would be nice to have friends in high places like that.
Columbia 2L.

SCgrad

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 05:37:55 AM »
Clearly he got a personalized LOR from George W. Bush.

this would help at HLS?

yes.

but his lsn says the person graduated from HLS (along with his pa and grandpa), so that isn't possible.

SouthSide

• Sr. Citizen
  • Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 05:44:36 AM »
The guy got a 158 on the LSAT, and a 3.9 GPA. He says he has "fantastic LORs. One from a national figure." Also says his dad and granddad went to HLS and his recommender "carries a lot weight at the school."

This is actually pretty surprising nepotism, even from Harvard. I mean, a 158 is several standard deviations away from any other scores they are admitting.
Columbia 2L.

SouthSide

• Sr. Citizen
  • Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 05:52:27 AM »
I'm pretty sure it's not a typo, because it's pretty easy to edit your LSN page. He would have adjusted it.

I like the idea of it being Toby Stock's brother. Is Toby enough of a "national figure" to be the recommender he's talking about?
Columbia 2L.

SCgrad

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 05:57:16 AM »
he has work experience and a really high gpa.  maybe his experience is phenomenal.  it wouldn't be that odd if he had a 165 or so with that gpa.  knowing lots of people helps, that is a fact.

SCgrad

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 06:03:03 AM »
or it is just flame.  not really worth talking about as much as we already have, probably.

SouthSide

• Sr. Citizen
  • Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 06:05:44 AM »
This profile smells borderline. It's not obviously false, but the look and feel of it is a little bit ... OFF. If it was in my fridge, I's probably eat it but only as a last resort.

Columbia 2L.

Mr. Pink

• LSD Obsessed
  • @#!* YOU! @#!* YOU! I'M f-in' DYING HERE! I'M FU
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 08:34:25 AM »
What do you think John F Kennedy Jr scored on his LSAT's
Mr. White: Smoke?
Mr. Pink: I quit.
[later]
Mr. Pink: What, you got one?

sea dream

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 09:37:45 AM »
Folks, he was waitlisted at Stanford and accepted at UCLA. With a 158? A national recommender who actually really knows the kid....I speculate it is a Supreme Court Justice who has known his daddy since law school, and wrote him a targeted letter to Harvard and a general one to the others.

Then again, "very successful career"...I wonder what that means? Even if he founded Microsoft or Google, I'm not sure that's enough to overcome a 158. I could see them doing a 160, 162, that's top 15% or so.

except there's no difference to harvard between a 160, 162, and 158. i think anyone would agree that 2 or so points (from 158 to 160) are pretty meaningless, and for the purpose of rankings and 25% LSATs, a 158 is the same as a .. whatever Harvard's 25% LSAT is. of course, all else equal most schools would shoot for a higher LSAT, but this guy isn't your run-of-the-mill candidate, i'd guess. and doesn't legacy work sort of like AA for admissions anyways?
Nevermind. Queen of the Waitlists, anyways.