Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

There has been some turnover so: Should Abortion be legal?

yes
 30 (68.2%)
no
 12 (27.3%)
Only when the baby deserves it.(generally no, but will agree to some exceptions such as incest/rape)
 2 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: OK, I'll ask again.  (Read 1249 times)

fatchance

• take a chance with me
    • View Profile
Re: OK, I'll ask again.
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2006, 01:27:28 AM »
What's the term for "boring conversation that ended up in a worthless debate over terminology."
I agree, that is why i tried to pick my terms carefully to not get this very result.  ???
Anyway, if you have good arguments (i may or may not) you can use any terminology.

fatchance

• take a chance with me
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2006, 01:32:02 AM »
Fatchance you say that its a person before its born.  You say that viability shouldnt be an issue.  My question to you is, does this mean that sperm is alive?  It has a chance at developing with a little help into a human.  Wouldnt condoms and birth control be just earlier stages of abortion?
A sperm has 23 chromosones a fetus is complete with 46 and can have a different blood type from the mother, and has its own unique DNA. No birth control is not abortion, just as not planting a seed is not ending a life.

conoroberst

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2006, 01:34:02 AM »
You wouldnt say that you were killing half of a life?  If life isnt complete, does that mean its not life at all?  A blind man is still a person.  A deaf man is still a person. 23 chromosomes arent alive?

conoroberst

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2006, 01:34:43 AM »
Not trying to be a jackass, or a dumbass for that matter, i've just always wanted to really understand the other side of this issue.

fatchance

• take a chance with me
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2006, 01:42:36 AM »
I dont think your being a smartass. It is a good question.

It is not killing half a life. I think something is either alive or not. 23 chromosones are "living" organic matter, but not alive anymore than my arm is alive. My arm is living material attached to I who am alive.

Wheras the fetus is "attached" or "in" the mother, it is still distinct for the same reasons I gave before

conoroberst

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2006, 01:44:22 AM »
Fair enough, first "child rights" supporter ever to actually answer those questions for me.  I applaud you for that.

fatchance

• take a chance with me
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2006, 01:50:06 AM »
Fair enough, first "child rights" supporter ever to actually answer those questions for me.  I applaud you for that.
:) Thank you

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2006, 02:14:48 AM »
Well, here goes...

So, i believe that we all agree that Babies outside of the womb are human persons..

And some argue that the "Unborn" (that should be neutral enough) are not human persons..

Then what difference between the two disqualifies the Unborn from personhood?

I guess some of us are a bit dumbfounded by the idea that someone you cannot see or feel is a person, it seems pretty....umm....suspcious to us. Also, you don't live in a house that's not finished.
You can feel a fetus.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php