Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

There has been some turnover so: Should Abortion be legal?

yes
 30 (68.2%)
no
 12 (27.3%)
Only when the baby deserves it.(generally no, but will agree to some exceptions such as incest/rape)
 2 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: OK, I'll ask again.  (Read 1183 times)

Happy_Weasel

• LSD Obsessed
  • Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
OK, I'll ask again.
« on: May 01, 2006, 10:33:28 PM »
I know....old divisive topic. So sue me.

Ever

Re: OK, I'll ask again.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 10:38:09 PM »
Why!? Why must you stoke the fires of an issue which cannot be resolved given the values of those who support the opposing views?!

Happy_Weasel

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 10:42:43 PM »
I understand, but something has to give.

fatchance

• take a chance with me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 11:15:45 PM »
Well, here goes...

So, i believe that we all agree that Babies outside of the womb are human persons..

And some argue that the "Unborn" (that should be neutral enough) are not human persons..

Then what difference between the two disqualifies the Unborn from personhood?

Happy_Weasel

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 11:19:10 PM »
Well, here goes...

So, i believe that we all agree that Babies outside of the womb are human persons..

And some argue that the "Unborn" (that should be neutral enough) are not human persons..

Then what difference between the two disqualifies the Unborn from personhood?

I guess some of us are a bit dumbfounded by the idea that someone you cannot see or feel is a person, it seems pretty....umm....suspcious to us. Also, you don't live in a house that's not finished.

fatchance

• take a chance with me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 11:26:08 PM »
Im confused about the see or feel question.

What does seeing or feeling have to do with anything?

If you cant see someone are they not a person? Shall we aquit a blindman of a crime just because he cannot see? After all he cannot see them, they must not be persons?

And feeling falls the same way.

Also, I cannot see you right now, but you are still a person. :)

Happy_Weasel

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 11:48:50 PM »
Im confused about the see or feel question.

What does seeing or feeling have to do with anything?

If you cant see someone are they not a person? Shall we aquit a blindman of a crime just because he cannot see? After all he cannot see them, they must not be persons?

And feeling falls the same way.

Also, I cannot see you right now, but you are still a person. :)

Yea, but we are talking about someone that no one can see,feel,hear or anything. Also, would you live in an unfinished house? A newborn baby is complete, an embryo isn't. Why do we have to expand the moral circle at the harshest expense of those already in it?  :) What is it with anti-choicers and the smiley face, anyway, its kinda queer.  :P  ::) Is it some type of trying to feel superior or perhaps it is part of the culture of nullification? I blame the introduction of drugs such as Lithium,Prozac,Lexapro,Respirdol and other anti-depressants onto the general population.

Make one joke about mandatory abortion in high school and it haunts you for years... I'm not making that mistake again.

What part of "diddy mao" don't you understand?  :)

King Dunson

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 12:02:29 AM »
I don't think abortion should be legal.  I do not see the difference between that and murder.  Even if I were to concede some abortion rights, the legislation should certainly not give women full discretion, nor should it allow healthy, financially stable women to abort their babies.  I think it is wrong to end a life.  I think people need to have sex responsibly and accept all the consequences of their actions.  I think the argument that "it's my body" is completely and utterly unconvincing.  I think Roe v. Wade should be overturned.  I hope it will be soon. 

Happy_Weasel

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 12:03:44 AM »
I don't think abortion should be legal.  I do not see the difference between that and murder.  Even if I were to concede some abortion rights, the legislation should certainly not give women full discretion, nor should it allow healthy, financially stable women to abort their babies.  I think it is wrong to end a life.  I think people need to have sex responsibly and accept all the consequences of their actions.  I think the argument that "it's my body" is completely and utterly unconvincing.  I think Roe v. Wade should be overturned.  I hope it will be soon. 

What about the death penalty then? You're Catholic, right?

fatchance

• take a chance with me
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 12:06:03 AM »
Seeing or feeling have nothing to do with personhood. You didnt defeat my argument, you merely repeated yours. I cannot see or feel you, do you forfit your own personhood?

I chose the word Unborn for neutrality. I dont call them babies (since that begs the question) because you dont think they are babies. Calling it an embryo assumes the very position you are trying to prove. No matter, call it what you wish.

As for the embryo being underdeveloped, I believe this misses too. Teenagers arent fully developed but we cannot use them as doormats. People with birth defects arnet fully developed, they are still persons. Developement does not matter.

As far as the smiley face goes, I simply meant to show good will. This debate can get ugly sometimes and I was trying to keep it kind.

As far as being Anti-choice (which seems a bit loaded) I prefer anti-abortion (since pro life would be loaded too).