19 (24.4%)
+ I've been handcuffed by a cop
 6 (7.7%)
)  I've been sent to jail by a cop
 6 (7.7%)
)  I've never been sent to jail by a cop
 19 (24.4%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: The police  (Read 3875 times)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: The police
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2006, 02:24:22 PM »
I'd also like to add that a half-dozen or so beatings in the public discourse, when viewed in the context of millions of arrests per year, does not necessarily point to an epidemic of brutality.  Here I'm also probably woefully ignorant, and I would eagerly examine any sources on police brutality statistics that you can provide.  I'm also sorry you've experienced brutality yourself, and I'm sure there's no excuse for it in many cases, I'm just questioning peoples' assumption that it's commonplace, because I think this is probably an extremely difficult topic about which to gather any sort of meaningful data.

Well, I'm sure this is not "evidence" of the sort you're seeking, but I work at a civil rights organization that does not have a reputation for pursuing excessive force claims (because we don't), and we receive at least one colorable complaint of police brutality every day.  Also, I see cops roughing up the young black men in my neighborhood all the time. 

Anyway, in terms of statistics, these things are near impossible to get accurate numbers on since so few complaints are actually corroborated by the police watchdog groups (it's difficult when all you have is the word of a thug vs. a group of cops) or vindicated in court (even more difficult), and because so much abuse takes place in the context of an otherwise justifiable arrest.  Of twenty or so active death penalty cases here, for instance, only two or three of our guys were not subject to abuse or intimidation or unwarranted searches preceding and during their arrests and interrogations.  But I don't think that kind of stuff makes it into the latest Bureau of Justice Statistics/National Criminal Justice Reference Service reports.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Chocolate Moose

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2006, 02:34:39 PM »
Straight from the horse's mouth

the prince

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2006, 02:40:37 PM »
If you don't want to see the police roughing up young black men in your neighborhood, don't look. 

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2006, 02:41:24 PM »
True, true.  Usually I try to do something about it, though, so it's worth it (for me to watch, not for it to happen).

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Mr. Pink

• LSD Obsessed
  • @#!* YOU! @#!* YOU! I'M f-in' DYING HERE! I'M FU
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2006, 03:14:19 PM »
you should clarify the handcuffed option, as handcuffed by the police.... I am sure there are all sorts of kinky types here.

I had the best time messing with this jersy cop once.  My friend parked illegally, (on the stripey yellow space) to go have horrible diahreah(?).  There were no free spaces, and many others had taken to parking right next to us.
  This a-hole cop comes up screaming at him and writes a ticket.  I decided to @#!* with him. 
I claimed equal protection. "sir, you did not give a ticket to any of these other folks, is this because my friend is jewish?"  And then told him that his ticket would never hold up in court, because we would use equal protection against him.  He screams "I hate you New York lawyers".  I say "Sir, thats not New York, thats the Constitution, which you swore to uphold when you took your job", "How well can you uphold it if you dont even know it?

Haha, when we went to court a few months later, my friend used Equal Protection, and the judge threw the ticket out.  It was awesome. 

Im not even a lawyer, but I love to @#!* with cops.

wow, that's some awesome use of EP right there- well done

Yeah, I love that I have been able to take some law classes at my school for undergrad.

Many people make fun of Criminal Justice Majors, especially at my school since its mostly a tech school, but I have taken Evidence, Legal Research and Writing and Concepts in Criminal Law along with Court Procedures.

So those snobby engineers that think my major is easy are so wrong!

Plz post a better picture of yourself.

This pic of you I like, are you from Northeast.

haha,
I was born and raised in Baltimore, I went to college in Rochester Ny, I am living in San Diego being an Intellectual Property Slave *cough* I mean intern. But, I am coming back to Rochester + Baltimore in 2 weeks.

Really, I went to the U of R for a year, is that where you went.
No I went to RIT, the funny thing is I started out in Glass Blowing and switched majors. 

I should have know.  The shirt that you are wearing in that pic says it all.
Mr. White: Smoke?
Mr. Pink: I quit.
[later]
Mr. Pink: What, you got one?

angmill08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2006, 03:33:22 PM »
Also, I see cops roughing up the young black men in my neighborhood all the time. 

Some cities have more police problems than others. I lived in a majority black neighborhood for 3 years and never saw the police rough anyone up. Not that they were always respectful and efficient (they weren't) but it was never close to brutality. But again, there are good and bad cops. I think a large part of the problem is that cities, especially the most dangerous ones, do not offer a competative salary to young officers and they have a hard time recruiting the best and brightest for the job.
164/3.46 Undergrad GPA, graduated college in 1996.
Applied: UT Austin (ED), Univ. of Houston, George Washington U & American U.
Accepted: Univ. of Houston, GW, American
Attending: GW, Fall 2006

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2006, 03:43:06 PM »
Yes, I have also lived in neighborhoods where I never saw police use excessive force or harass teenagers.  And they certainly do pay first-year cops crap wages in NYC.  That's true.

But when you talk about "dangerous" cities and neighborhoods, I have to ask, dangerous for whom? Because my neighborhood isn't dangerous for cops or for femme fatale paraprofessionals like myself, but it is certainly dangerous for a lot of my neighbors whose race, masculinity, and youth seem to threaten the cops, and who are therefore pestered and shoved around and searched and brought in for lineups at an alarming rate.

angmill08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2006, 04:04:02 PM »
By "dangerous" cities, I meant dangerous for the people who live there. Like areas with high rates of murder, robbery, rape, or assault.

Edited to add: in my neighborhood, the violence usually happened between people who knew each other. Junkies robbing someone down the street. Fights over drugs/money. Inter-familial violence, gang related violence. If the cops are the primary element of danger in your neighborhood you guys seriously ought to organize to get them to step back. I mean, why do they even come to your neighborhood, if no one's calling 911 or reporting a problem?

From my work with the police, I got the feeling that many of their rank and file would be glad never to set foot majority minority neighborhoods if they could avoid it. They didn't hang out in our neighborhood because they liked the folks or because they had an axe to grind. They came (often reluctantly) because they were assigned or called. If our neighborhood had organized and said to them, "Guys, just stay out. We won't call 911, we'll handle theft and drugs ourselves, we won't complain about crime or police brutality if you just go away," I think they would have been thrilled just to wash their hands of us. But the neighbors were peeved that they'd been ignored by the cops for so long; a common complaint was that police didn't respond promptly, wouldn't stop the drug dealers or gangs, didn't really care about the well-being of people in the neighborhood.
164/3.46 Undergrad GPA, graduated college in 1996.
Applied: UT Austin (ED), Univ. of Houston, George Washington U & American U.
Accepted: Univ. of Houston, GW, American
Attending: GW, Fall 2006

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2006, 04:06:02 PM »
I thought this was a discussion about the 80's super group.  I loved "Don't stand so close to me"

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2006, 04:07:36 PM »
Also, I see cops roughing up the young black men in my neighborhood all the time. 

Some cities have more police problems than others. I lived in a majority black neighborhood for 3 years and never saw the police rough anyone up. Not that they were always respectful and efficient (they weren't) but it was never close to brutality. But again, there are good and bad cops. I think a large part of the problem is that cities, especially the most dangerous ones, do not offer a competative salary to young officers and they have a hard time recruiting the best and brightest for the job.
Some cops make pretty good money angmill. Out here they make good salary + have excellent retirement plans.

When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php