19 (24.4%)
+ I've been handcuffed by a cop
 6 (7.7%)
)  I've been sent to jail by a cop
 6 (7.7%)
)  I've never been sent to jail by a cop
 19 (24.4%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: The police  (Read 3822 times)

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The police
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2006, 01:37:26 PM »
Great story Doomkitty!

Also, this poll is flawed.  Many posters have pointed out that there are good cops and bad cops.  This is not a poll option.

Interestingly, I've heard some people say that they hate all cops, some people say that there are some good/some bad, but nobody say that all cops are good.

With most cops, their attitude is largely determined by your attitude towards them.  I say hi to the local cop walking the beat, and they say hello right back.  Try putting yourself in the line of fire and see how you feel.  My friends and I also used to get the sh!t harrassed out of us by cops in our small town.  They're a double-edged sword and a necessary evil at worst (although the abuse/molestation is certainly not necessary), and noble, Platonic guardian archetypes at best.  Lumping them all together is profism - and that's just plain wrong.

Profism?  Can we all make up words now?

I was making a simple point, that a cop that looks the other way when their coworkers abuse their power should be judged for it.  I have never met one who fails this criterion.

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2006, 01:46:48 PM »
Profism?  Can we all make up words now?

I was making a simple point, that a cop that looks the other way when their coworkers abuse their power should be judged for it.  I have never met one who fails this criterion.

1) Yes we can!  It's fun, and you knew what I meant, so what's the harm?  It's great for the ego, it really is.

2) Granted, whistleblowers are tough to find in any profession, and politics/law enforcement might be the toughest.  There's probably a great deal of "they had it comin'" sentiment in many cases, and in many cases I bet it's justified.  I would speculate that the day to day experiences of cops in the toughest neighborhoods are so desensitizing that it requires much more flagrant and egregious abuses of power to get them to take action.  Is this good?  No, of course not.  I just think we're a bit too quick to judge, and too quick to assume that abuse and corruption are widespread when I don't know of any good evidence on the subject.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

Mr. Pink

• LSD Obsessed
  • @#!* YOU! @#!* YOU! I'M f-in' DYING HERE! I'M FU
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2006, 01:49:56 PM »
you should clarify the handcuffed option, as handcuffed by the police.... I am sure there are all sorts of kinky types here.

I had the best time messing with this jersy cop once.  My friend parked illegally, (on the stripey yellow space) to go have horrible diahreah(?).  There were no free spaces, and many others had taken to parking right next to us.
  This a-hole cop comes up screaming at him and writes a ticket.  I decided to @#!* with him. 
I claimed equal protection. "sir, you did not give a ticket to any of these other folks, is this because my friend is jewish?"  And then told him that his ticket would never hold up in court, because we would use equal protection against him.  He screams "I hate you New York lawyers".  I say "Sir, thats not New York, thats the Constitution, which you swore to uphold when you took your job", "How well can you uphold it if you dont even know it?

Haha, when we went to court a few months later, my friend used Equal Protection, and the judge threw the ticket out.  It was awesome. 

Im not even a lawyer, but I love to @#!* with cops.

wow, that's some awesome use of EP right there- well done

Yeah, I love that I have been able to take some law classes at my school for undergrad.

Many people make fun of Criminal Justice Majors, especially at my school since its mostly a tech school, but I have taken Evidence, Legal Research and Writing and Concepts in Criminal Law along with Court Procedures.

So those snobby engineers that think my major is easy are so wrong!

Plz post a better picture of yourself.

This pic of you I like, are you from Northeast.
Mr. White: Smoke?
Mr. Pink: I quit.
[later]
Mr. Pink: What, you got one?

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2006, 01:53:19 PM »
2) Granted, whistleblowers are tough to find in any profession, and politics/law enforcement might be the toughest.  There's probably a great deal of "they had it comin'" sentiment in many cases, and in many cases I bet it's justified.  I would speculate that the day to day experiences of cops in the toughest neighborhoods are so desensitizing that it requires much more flagrant and egregious abuses of power to get them to take action.  Is this good?  No, of course not.  I just think we're a bit too quick to judge, and too quick to assume that abuse and corruption are widespread when I don't know of any good evidence on the subject.

Other professions don't assault people, plant evidence, lie in court and send innocent people to jail.  Also, I think you would not be able to find a single profession other than the priesthood that is more willing to excuse such gross violations of other's dignity and bodily integrity.  Even the military is better at self-policing than the police and that is saying a lot.  And not only do we have incredible evidence of who the police beat in the public discourse, I've been on the receiving end of police violence and perjury myself.  I'm glad you've never experienced this yourself, I hope you never have to.

doomkitty

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2006, 01:56:46 PM »
you should clarify the handcuffed option, as handcuffed by the police.... I am sure there are all sorts of kinky types here.

I had the best time messing with this jersy cop once.  My friend parked illegally, (on the stripey yellow space) to go have horrible diahreah(?).  There were no free spaces, and many others had taken to parking right next to us.
  This a-hole cop comes up screaming at him and writes a ticket.  I decided to @#!* with him. 
I claimed equal protection. "sir, you did not give a ticket to any of these other folks, is this because my friend is jewish?"  And then told him that his ticket would never hold up in court, because we would use equal protection against him.  He screams "I hate you New York lawyers".  I say "Sir, thats not New York, thats the Constitution, which you swore to uphold when you took your job", "How well can you uphold it if you dont even know it?

Haha, when we went to court a few months later, my friend used Equal Protection, and the judge threw the ticket out.  It was awesome. 

Yeah, I love that I have been able to take some law classes at my school for undergrad.

Many people make fun of Criminal Justice Majors, especially at my school since its mostly a tech school, but I have taken Evidence, Legal Research and Writing and Concepts in Criminal Law along with Court Procedures.

haha,
I was born and raised in Baltimore, I went to college in Rochester Ny, I am living in San Diego being an Intellectual Property Slave *cough* I mean intern. But, I am coming back to Rochester + Baltimore in 2 weeks.

Chocolate Moose

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2006, 01:58:39 PM »
Choco not like 5-0

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2006, 02:00:43 PM »
Believing that our jobs are not usually a perfect index of personal preferences and thoroughly considered political commitments, I don't harbor animosity toward all cops as individuals.  I do, however, think that swearing to enforce laws as corrupt as ours, not to mention then doing so in such a discriminatory and often violent manner, is probably immoral.  The same goes for prosecutors.  So no, I don't like cops.

FWIW, I have been to lots of prisons and jails, but never as an inmate.
I have been handcuffed a few times by cops (and by others, too, which is considerably cheesier).
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2006, 02:02:46 PM »

Other professions don't assault people, plant evidence, lie in court and send innocent people to jail.  Also, I think you would not be able to find a single profession other than the priesthood that is more willing to excuse such gross violations of other's dignity and bodily integrity.  Even the military is better at self-policing than the police and that is saying a lot.  And not only do we have incredible evidence of who the police beat in the public discourse, I've been on the receiving end of police violence and perjury myself.  I'm glad you've never experienced this yourself, I hope you never have to.

I must plead ignorance on some level; I have no basis for comparing the self-policing of the military as opposed to domestic police.  As I know you're not the kind of person who just throws random stuff out there, what basis do you have for this claim?  Also, how common do you think the activities such as evidence planting and lying in court are?

I'd also like to add that a half-dozen or so beatings in the public discourse, when viewed in the context of millions of arrests per year, does not necessarily point to an epidemic of brutality.  Here I'm also probably woefully ignorant, and I would eagerly examine any sources on police brutality statistics that you can provide.  I'm also sorry you've experienced brutality yourself, and I'm sure there's no excuse for it in many cases, I'm just questioning peoples' assumption that it's commonplace, because I think this is probably an extremely difficult topic about which to gather any sort of meaningful data.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

Mr. Pink

• LSD Obsessed
  • @#!* YOU! @#!* YOU! I'M f-in' DYING HERE! I'M FU
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2006, 02:08:59 PM »

haha,
I was born and raised in Baltimore, I went to college in Rochester Ny, I am living in San Diego being an Intellectual Property Slave *cough* I mean intern. But, I am coming back to Rochester + Baltimore in 2 weeks.

Really, I went to the U of R for a year, is that where you went.
Mr. White: Smoke?
Mr. Pink: I quit.
[later]
Mr. Pink: What, you got one?

doomkitty

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2006, 02:12:03 PM »

haha,

Really, I went to the U of R for a year, is that where you went.
No I went to RIT, the funny thing is I started out in Glass Blowing and switched majors.