Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: DC Rally  (Read 239 times)

ZinnMaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ianny1982
    • View Profile
DC Rally
« on: May 01, 2006, 08:36:22 PM »
Just a quick message to say thanks to those of you who made the Darfur awareness rally in DC this past Sunday. I was encouraged to see so many people, particularly young people. It is good to see that young people are making themselves aware of issues such as this, that certainly can't hurt for the future. Of course, it is discouraging, seeing as no real action has been taken and we just took a step backwards by cutting money for food in half. Nonetheless, I was glad to see so many people, there were not this many people who knew and cared about Darfur a couple of years ago. Still, awareness is useless if it does not lead to action, so keep it up!
Whole Lotta Love: Pittsburgh ($), Syracuse ($$), Case Western, Depaul, New York Law ($$), Penn State ($$), Chicago-Kent   
Bring It On Home: Northeastern(WL), Chicago-Loyola(WL),  Brooklyn
Heartbreaker: Georgetown, George Washington, American

Fidelio

Re: DC Rally
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 08:46:27 PM »

ZinnMaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ianny1982
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 09:12:09 PM »
Knowing or having met many of the organizers I think their intentions regarding the rally, and everything else that they have done, are excellent. I also think that although the list of speakers could have been improved, the speakers are the most insignificant part of the entire rally. The people all showed up with good intentions that will be carried on. Just my take on it.
Whole Lotta Love: Pittsburgh ($), Syracuse ($$), Case Western, Depaul, New York Law ($$), Penn State ($$), Chicago-Kent   
Bring It On Home: Northeastern(WL), Chicago-Loyola(WL),  Brooklyn
Heartbreaker: Georgetown, George Washington, American

tobias

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jaray02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 11:39:05 PM »
Hey,

I'm from NYC and went to the rally with a Jewish group I'm part of. I was heartened by the turnout - it was good to see everyone from lubavitch to reform to unitarian to St. Louisians  pulling together.  My hope is that even if the rally itself doesn't have an impact on our actions as a nation, it will have made some people aware of the genocide that is happening as I write this but that no one seems to know much about, if they have even heard of Darfur. Condoleeza Rice said yesterday on meet the press that Bush has "passion" for this issue - I hope starts to do more to live up to his not on my watch margin comment.

It was also sort of peculiar reunion - I can't count how many people from my past I ran into in dc and at the rest stops on the highway. I was glad to see this was something that moved us all to do our small (all too small) part.

nmb238

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 10:06:17 AM »
i couldnt get down there- thesis revisions- but i too was heartened by how many ppl from so many diff walks of life turned out. not enough, but plenty

i think its particularly incumbent on Jewish groups to speak up, and make "Never Again" is more than an empty slogan, which it has proven to be in Rwanda and Bosnia and now Darfur.

As for CAIR- it taks alot of nerve to complain about lack of invitation. THe Arab voice has been deafeningly silent on this issue- had CAIR been vocally campaigning to end the genocide in any significant way, I am fairly certain Save Darfur would have thought to include them. But since the Arab League holds its meetings in Sudan, and since the Arab world has been generally silent on this issue (dont flame me for this before you read Nicholas Kristof on this subject) I think finding blame in the one group trying to end the mass murder is offensive.

anyway i dont think these rallies do much other than make us feel good that we care. but i hope im proven wrong.

~n
NYU06
PennLaw09

RIP Admissions Cycle
11.22.05 - 5.22.06