Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: FSU - should I put the deposit down?  (Read 398 times)

Tulane1L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
FSU - should I put the deposit down?
« on: May 01, 2006, 07:40:19 PM »
Okay I was all set to go to Tulane, but I keep having second thoughts about how much it is gonna cost me - I will end up over $100k in debt (prolly like 120k after everything is said and done)

The FSU deposit is due today (like now!)  they have offered me instate tuition, so it would be like $25k/year, or about $75k debt total.

Someone talk me into or out of putting down the FSU deposit in the next hour ($200, which would mean raman noodles for the next month...)

superchode

Re: FSU - should I put the deposit down?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 08:19:52 PM »
Well I'm going to FSU, so that seems like reason enough.  In all seriousness what do you like about each school and where do you want to live afterwards?  I'm going to FSU primarilly to cut down my debt load banking on getting the instate tuition in my 2nd and 3rd year.  I don't really know where I want to live but I know I want to get out of Wash. State so I figure why not Florida.  I personally would not go to New Orleans right now, but perhaps that is attractive to you.  You would indeed save a lot of money by going to FSU, if you are interested in politics, as I am, or public interest work I would say go to FSU for sure.     

superchode

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 08:22:07 PM »
Also just curious how you got instate tuition at FSU, was that a scholarship or are you a Florida resident.

Tulane1L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 08:31:27 PM »
where do I want to work?  I don't know, anywhere in the south, from florida to texas, so location is not really a factor.

New Orleans after the hurricane is actually a big draw for me, helping with the cleanup and the rebuilding of the whole Mississippi Gulf Coast region (which, coincidently, is where I grew up).  I am just worried about the $1500/month loan repayments after I graduate....

I am also still pending at Bama, I wish they would let me know one way or another!

Anyone else have any input?

toomuchhype

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 12:13:03 AM »
I checked out the websites of the bigger law firms in fl a while back, and it was mostly UF, UMiami, and T14 grads.  Next on the list were Stetson and FSU grads.  I dont recall any Tulane grads, but I wasnt really looking for them.

Tulane1L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 12:52:32 AM »
Thanks cesco, you are right, it is just shocking to look that the financial aid forms (which I got today) - $42k in loans!  But I think I would be better off at Tulane for lots of reasons, it is just hard having second thoughts!

thanks again to all that replied!