Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Loyola LA Open House last Friday 4/28  (Read 2426 times)

goodnews

• Sr. Citizen
  • We're moving to where??
    • View Profile
Loyola LA Open House last Friday 4/28
« on: May 01, 2006, 11:35:44 AM »
Anyone attend?  What did you guys think?  I went, wasn't impressed.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to be a W O L V E R I N E

pinkybella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Loyola LA Open House last Friday 4/28
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 12:23:48 PM »
Can you talk about what you liked about it/what you didn't like about it? I'd love to hear your insight.  :)

goodnews

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 02:02:59 PM »
I started my day there with a tour of the school.  This was the first time I'd ever been on campus, and it was pretty much what I expected.  I know some people hate the modern look, some people like it, some don't care.  Personally, the look of a campus/buildings would not make or break my decision to go to a particular school so it didn't bother me.  All I'd really say about it is that overall the campus isn't very big but it doesn't feel claustrophobic either.  The surrounding area didn't bother me either, it didn't look particularly dangerous or daunting (but then again I've lived in LA before and worked in downtown LA so maybe I'm just used to it).  The big parking lot is a plus, and the library is fairly large.

The tour guide was engaging and was very positive about the school, but I kind of got the feeling that he had a weird complex about going to Loyola.  He went to UCLA for undergrad and just KEPT ON mentioning it over and over again.  Like: "When I was at UCLA, there were lots of places to eat around there...there's not as much here but it's getting better." "At UCLA, the parking was tough but here we have this parking structure."  Maybe he kept on mentioning it thinking that a lot of the admitted students were from UCLA and that making the comparisons would help them relate...that's possible, but I really felt like he was subconsicously emphasizing the fact that even though he goes to Loyola, at one point in time he had gone to UCLA.  Anyway I figured it might just be him, but then at the student panel there was a 1L who had also gone to UCLA for undergrad and she felt the need to mention it 10x too.  It was just weird.  I hope it's not representative of how the students are there, like they feel they need to make a point about having gone to a really good undergrad since the law school they chose isn't as good. 

The mock class was the best part of the whole day.  There were two classes (Crim law, Contracts) and the group was arbitrarily divided.  I was in the crim law class with Levenson and she was awesome.  She was charismatic and made the material really interesting.

The student panel portion came after the mock class and that was just ok.  It was really boring and the SBA President is not a very good moderator.  He was wearing a suit and had to make a point to talk about why he was wearing a suit, when I really don't give a crap.  There were four students on the panel and then that President, so basically he had a list of questions he made up himself that he asked the panel, and then after each and every one of them answered then he would answer.  I thought they were going to take questions from the audience for the whole session, but the president only opened up for questions for the last 5-10 mins of the whole thing.  It was pretty painful and I felt like they were wasting my time.  I really didn't need to sit there and listen to the five of them answer "How did you feel on your first day of law school?"

So to sum up, I guess what I didn't like about the school was the students.

Manwithaplan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 02:10:52 PM »
that was very imformative. i got the same blah feeling about usd, but hearing you talk about loyola makes me feel it is the same atmosphere there also. i also got the feeling that some students have a chip on their shoulder for not being able to attend a more prestigous school at usd. of course usd is my only viable choice (for my own personal reasons) so i just have ot suck it up.
USD Law grad

pinkybella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 02:11:51 PM »
Thanks for sharing. It seems like the professor you had was good; I guess that's a good sign.

That's weird that all the students kept mentioning UCLA; maybe there is some sort of inferiority complex there?  ???

sacrilegist

• I carved this pumpkin!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 07:24:57 PM »
I attended Loyola's scholarship reception on Thursday and then attended the open house on Friday.  Having visited Pepperdine, USD and Loyola admitted student events, I liked Loyola the most by far. 

I am friendly and willing to speak with anyone.  During the reception on Thursday, I was impressed with the faculty, students and alumni I met.  Several of the faculty gave me their business cards and said I could contact them if I wanted to discuss anything about Loyola/law school in general.  I felt the environment was much more supportive than either USD or Pepperdine. 

I arrived late to the open house on Friday (had to work).  I was apprehensive about the campus location, which proved valid.  It is in downtown, neither the safest nor most aesthetic location.  However, the law school seems to be a bubble, a fortress.  Although the parking is $700 per year, it is ample and easy.  I also like the modern architecture on the campus.  Since the law school is located away from the undergrad campus, there are no undergrad students.  I feel this creates fewer distractions/less people/more unity.  I also believe the downtown location makes externships (judicial, firms, non-profit) and clinics very convenient.

Professor Levenson was engaging and humorous.  In fact, I heard her on NPR on the way to the open house.  I was surprised when the dean said hello to me, remembered my name, and introduced me to Professor Levenson.

I tried to speak with as many students as possible, both those they asked to come (undoubtedly the superstars) and those just walking around campus (one student proudly introduced himself as ‘the class drunk’).  Some were tired law school, but all spoke highly of the faculty, the externships/clinics and their fellow students.  I randomly asked two students I met to give me a tour of the campus.  One was from Berkeley undergrad, the other UCLA.  They were candid, mentioning the strengths and weaknesses of the school.  Overall, I thought the students/faculty/staff/alumni from Loyola seemed more diverse, urban and down-to-earth than those at either Pepperdine or USD.

Finally, I reviewed their course listings, externships, clinics, international and other opportunities and feel Loyola offers more variety than closely ranked schools in So Cal.  I got the feeling I would not be limited by the school in terms of my law school experience (conversely, Pepperdine for example, has a rather poor variety of courses and student groups).

As far as the UCLA thing, I think they realize many people attending the open house wanted to go to UCLA instead of Loyola or were also admitted to UCLA (but with no $$$ in the case of the scholarship recipients).  Let's face it...their job is to sell us on their law school.  They would be foolish not to mention the pink elephant in the room: UCLA (and USC) are better ranked schools in the same market.  I believe they were simply voicing what other people were already thinking.  "YEAH...were not UCLA, but here are some ways we compete."

pinkybella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 07:55:26 PM »
I attended Loyola's scholarship reception on Thursday and then attended the open house on Friday.  Having visited Pepperdine, USD and Loyola admitted student events, I liked Loyola the most by far. 

I am friendly and willing to speak with anyone.  During the reception on Thursday, I was impressed with the faculty, students and alumni I met.  Several of the faculty gave me their business cards and said I could contact them if I wanted to discuss anything about Loyola/law school in general.  I felt the environment was much more supportive than either USD or Pepperdine. 

I arrived late to the open house on Friday (had to work).  I was apprehensive about the campus location, which proved valid.  It is in downtown, neither the safest nor most aesthetic location.  However, the law school seems to be a bubble, a fortress.  Although the parking is $700 per year, it is ample and easy.  I also like the modern architecture on the campus.  Since the law school is located away from the undergrad campus, there are no undergrad students.  I feel this creates fewer distractions/less people/more unity.  I also believe the downtown location makes externships (judicial, firms, non-profit) and clinics very convenient.

Professor Levenson was engaging and humorous.  In fact, I heard her on NPR on the way to the open house.  I was surprised when the dean said hello to me, remembered my name, and introduced me to Professor Levenson.

I tried to speak with as many students as possible, both those they asked to come (undoubtedly the superstars) and those just walking around campus (one student proudly introduced himself as ‘the class drunk’).  Some were tired law school, but all spoke highly of the faculty, the externships/clinics and their fellow students.  I randomly asked two students I met to give me a tour of the campus.  One was from Berkeley undergrad, the other UCLA.  They were candid, mentioning the strengths and weaknesses of the school.  Overall, I thought the students/faculty/staff/alumni from Loyola seemed more diverse, urban and down-to-earth than those at either Pepperdine or USD.

Finally, I reviewed their course listings, externships, clinics, international and other opportunities and feel Loyola offers more variety than closely ranked schools in So Cal.  I got the feeling I would not be limited by the school in terms of my law school experience (conversely, Pepperdine for example, has a rather poor variety of courses and student groups).

As far as the UCLA thing, I think they realize many people attending the open house wanted to go to UCLA instead of Loyola or were also admitted to UCLA (but with no $$$ in the case of the scholarship recipients).  Let's face it...their job is to sell us on their law school.  They would be foolish not to mention the pink elephant in the room: UCLA (and USC) are better ranked schools in the same market.  I believe they were simply voicing what other people were already thinking.  "YEAH...were not UCLA, but here are some ways we compete."

Thanks for your review. This is really helpful. Is there anything you didn't like about Loyola?

sacrilegist

• I carved this pumpkin!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 08:09:41 PM »
The location has pros and cons.  As I was leaving, I turned down a wrong street.  Some guy leaving a liquor store was really staring me down (walked in front of my car VERY slowly while licking his lips).  This made me uncomfortable (of course).  As I said, the parking on campus is guarded closely, but driving near the campus isn't pretty.   

Traffic will be bad (the school is located near a junction of several freeways...110/101).  In speaking with students regarding where they live, it seems only males live close to the campus.  All the women I spoke with live farther away.  (One good thing: if you take public transportation...which I hear is convenient from Long Beach or Pasadena, the school pays half). 

I think the school may feel cramped when many students are on campus at the same time.  There don't seem to be any/many places to retreat on campus (larger campuses are good for this).

As I said, it is the third best school in the market.  If you go there, you will be competing with USC and UCLA grads for jobs.  I am confident about my abilities to sell myself/do well in school/gain relevant experience that will distinguish me from others, so I am not too worried about this aspect.  However, I understand why others would be.

If you have any other questions...let me know!  :D

sacrilegist

• I carved this pumpkin!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 10:16:33 PM »
If a scholarship would make a difference in your decision, you should contact them.  If you are serious about going there but have offers from comparable or better schools, they may offer you something.  This worked for me! ;D

goodnews

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 01:17:33 PM »
Thanks for posting your thoughts studyingfool and calman!  It's always helpful to hear about other people's experiences. 

Have you guys decided to attend for sure?