Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Personal Statement-too much information?  (Read 887 times)

m10010

• View Profile
    • Email
Personal Statement-too much information?
« on: August 09, 2004, 04:22:44 PM »
I'm not sure if this is something I should write about in my PS. The question is what major obstacle I've had in life and what did I learn from it. Undoubtedly, when I think of a maor obstacle in my life, it was almost six years ago; I was living in my car and got arrested for *ahem* exotic dancing (think ad in the back of a local newspaper :-\). I was caught in a sting and charged with an infraction (really nice judge) I was able to get wiped off my record a couple years back. A very long story short, I just wanted out of my car, so I turned to something I soon came to regret and still do. At any rate, I spent some time in jail and what was actually the worst day in my life, was also the best; I don't know just how low I would have gone from that point. What I can't tell them was all the crazy and dangerous things I saw and experienced, where to this day, I'm happy to be alive. I think that would be going too far. As it stands, I have to divulge this experience in many applications, so I'd like to bring it out in a positive light.
Life after that went 180 degrees in a positive direction, and I'm really happy where I am right now (except that I have to take the LSAT again). :P
Any thoughts? Thanks!

lexylit

Re: Personal Statement-too much information?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 04:31:55 PM »
if you DO have to divulge it anyway, then yeah, put the best spin possible on it, esp. if you can show that's how you decided to go to LS. if you don't need to divulge it for all schools, or don't need to get quite as specific, then you might write about something less personal.

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2004, 12:35:09 AM »
too much  info. No need to talk about something like that. You should focus on another issue. I've got a pole for Lexlit though.   

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2004, 11:34:41 AM »
You have to do this carefully.  Even if you don't have to divulge this info now, you will have to when you apply for admission to the bar of any state, even if it was "wiped clean off your record." I would, like lexylit said, think long and hard about this and expose it in a way that benefits me. After all, that's what you do with evidence in a case.
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!

nathanielmark

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2004, 11:37:52 AM »
the Bars only expect you to play by the rules, you need only disclose for LS apps what you are legally obligated to, per wording of a particular question...  it is not necessary, or prudent to disclose things that you do not need to..

unless you are a convicted felon, have recent drug/mental health problems, the bars pretty much have to let you in if you are 100% honest and can show you are "reformed".  ive done a lot of research on this.