Always girlfriend first, then parents.

redemption

Re: Who was the first person you told?
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 04:52:34 AM »
Columbia: - Maggie, Stan, LSN.... then (a month later) my mom
NYU: - Maggie, Stan, LSN.... then (a month later) my mom
Chicago: - LSN, Maggie, Stan.... two weeks later, my mom
Cornell: - LSN
Yale: - Stan, Maggie, LSD thread, Mom, my SO, my grandma, (a day later) my friends

redemption

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 04:57:27 AM »
I suppose. It's not like it was on their front burner, though.

redemption

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 04:59:37 AM »
Yes, very  :D

SCgrad

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 05:10:39 AM »
I was about the last to know most of mine.  the mail came to my house, my mom opened it and emailed me.  i assume she told every living sole she knows about my acceptances, and maybe the waitlists, too.

SouthSide

• Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 05:17:37 AM »
Huh. I can't imagine not telling my parents for a month. Do you only talk to them once a month, or did you actually have conversations with them and not mention that you'd been getting insane amounts of love from the top school in the country?

redemption

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 05:23:40 AM »
I talk to them fairly often, but getting love from Cornell isn't, in their cosmology, something that would really register as being important. They think (thought?) that becoming a lawyer is a pretty tacky thing to do, and a waste of an otherwise promising life. They figure I should move back to my home town and teach elementary or high school, buy a house, raise a family, maybe run for Mayor one day etc.  Of course, a big part of me thinks that they're right.

SouthSide

• Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 05:27:30 AM »
I talk to them fairly often, but getting love from Cornell isn't, in their cosmology, something that would really register as being important. They think (thought?) that becoming a lawyer is a pretty tacky thing to do, and a waste of an otherwise promising life. They figure I should move back to my home town and teach elementary or high school, buy a house, raise a family, maybe run for Mayor one day etc.  Of course, a big part of me thinks that they're right.

I wasn't referring to Cornell, obviously.

Huh, that's weird. My parents are ambiguous about me going to law school, but they were still rooting for me to get into the places I wanted. And how many housewives/schoolteachers become mayor?

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 05:42:47 AM »

werid.